• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Header/Ground Clearance

Fishgutz

Reaction score
How much clearance can I expect to gain if I switch to a set of TTI’s? Right now there is 3-1/2” between the bottom of the flange the ground.
This is a ‘70 Cuda, 383, 727, QA1 suspension up front. Hedman Elite Series are in it now.
Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
IMG_2406.jpeg
IMG_2404.jpeg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Not much with a low profile tire. Check the ride height. there might be a little difference in the TTI profile but the exhaust is where it is.

Fishgutz

Reaction score
Thanks RTA, that‘s what I thought also. Just have to be careful about going over parking lot entrances and speed bumps.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Thanks Moparleo, that’s my next step. I thought one of the members might have a real world answer.
I am running the TTI 1 7/8" headers on my 440 in 72 Challenger. Plenty of ground clearance. Lots more than the small block I had with headers that went UNDER the steering link!

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
That is low. I bet those are tall deck 413/426/440 headers on your low deck 383 which would make them sit lower in the chassis. Any standard brand name header for a short deck would bring the collectors up higher.

Fishgutz

Reaction score
That is low. I bet those are tall deck 413/426/440 headers on your low deck 383 which would make them sit lower in the chassis. Any standard brand name header for a short deck would bring the collectors up higher.
I couldn’t agree more, they hang low. TTI lists the same part# for their 1-3/4” tube headers for both B and RB engines. 1-7/8” tube are different for the respective engines.
Do you know the vertical difference at the exhaust ports between B and RB’s?

HemiCap

Reaction score
1974 Challenger 440/727 TTI 15” tires and I scrape all the time. I’ll need to go under to measure.

Fishgutz

Reaction score
After talking with Sam at TTI yesterday, I’m leaning towards the shorties. Looks like the best option to get a bit more clearance and keep the performance.
Thanks to all for your input, I have gained some very useful info.

HemiCap

Reaction score
After talking with Sam at TTI yesterday, I’m leaning towards the shorties. Looks like the best option to get a bit more clearance and keep the performance.
Thanks to all for your input, I have gained some very useful info.
Wishes I had done that.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The real ? is now much extra clearance do you have between the headers & pipes to the frame ?

Fishgutz

Reaction score
The real ? is now much extra clearance do you have between the headers & pipes to the frame ?
I have about 3/4” to work with. Shorty headers will eliminate the 3” collector and flange, and have a 2-1/2” header adapter pipe in it’s place. Likely get an 1”+ extra clearance. Your thoughts? Thanks.

Drivun

Reaction score
I went from TTI full length to their shorties and am happy with improved ground clearance. Mine was complicated by the angle of my small block with the tko600 I installed. Started with only 2 1/2 ground clearance at the flange. Your gaining the flange depth plus one header tube.

Fishgutz

Reaction score
I went from TTI full length to their shorties and am happy with improved ground clearance. Mine was complicated by the angle of my small block with the tko600 I installed. Started with only 2 1/2 ground clearance at the flange. Your gaining the flange depth plus one header tube.
I’m well convinced, shorty‘s are the best way to get more clearance. Just need a couple buckets of cubic $$, and my winter project will get started.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
With better fitting headers That are close to the frame i assume you could gain about 3/4" then

Fishgutz

Reaction score
Sam from TTI emailed these photos to me and said I’ll gain about 2” using the shorty’s. For sure, the best way to gain some clearance and stop scraping on things.
P1010047.jpeg
P41.jpeg

Last edited:
Back