• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Header leak - I need advice

cudablue

Reaction score
Hey gang,
I have a leak with my new Summit Ceramic headers on the driver side. :angry1:
The gaskets that came with them were installed.
Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks ,
rick

ramenth

Reaction score
Dump the gaskets and get some high-temp red silicone from Permatex.

I run a bead, let it sit for about 10-15 minutes, install to finger tight - just enough for the Permatex to start squishing a bit - let it sit for an hour or so and torque 'em.

There's a few reasons I do this. If the flange isn't exactly straight, then the Permatex will flex to the flange. The beauty of doing it this way, if it does blow out - I've yet to have that issue with it - is that all you have to do is squeeze a bit more into the hole.

msbaugh

Reaction score
Maybe it'll help to just re-torque slightly. I know you don't need to with most new gaskets but hey, try the easy stuff first might save you time

Brads70

Reaction score
I had an issue with the top of the header flange hitting the head casting and not letting it seat properly. I used a carbide burr on the head and double gasketed the header ( copper gaskets, not the paper ones) and 2 years now with no leaks.

cudablue

Reaction score
Just wrapped up. It's been a couple of hours for the sealant. Should I wait 24 hours to drive? Or, is it ok to go for it?
thanks

74CudaDave

Reaction score
I put a set of Remflex graphite gaskets on my 440 with my `I don't know who made 'em' headers after my rebuild. No leaks so far (all summer). And I actually had to undo and re-install the headers once, left the gaskets as they were.

cudablue

Reaction score
I ended up cutting the sections out between the tubes. This took the curve and twist out. Now I am able to pull the flanges tighter against the head.

moparleo

Reaction score
Here is my experience. Blackjack alumicote headers put on a 340 Challeneger back in the 80's. Eventual leaking header gasket on driverside. I tried different brands of gaskets, filing the header flange flat, no luck. Doubled up with Mr Gasket header gaskets. No leaks for almost 20 years now.
No TTI's back then . Have them on the wifes Challenger w/5.9 Magnum crate engine now. Perfect fit and no leaks.

Last edited:

Cuda360

Reaction score
I've a question: Seeing as I'm not too experienced with diagnosis, how do I tell the difference between a header gasket leak and piston slap? I ask because the car I'm picking up this weekend has a loud "clap" coming from the driver's side. It is there when the engine starts (cold) and it was still there, a little louder when warm a driving around. The sound accelerated with the engine speed. It sounded like a pair of gargantuan hands clapping right next to my ear. The seller assures me it is a bad gasket and told me he would replace them before I arrive Saturday morning. But, you never know, do ya...

74CudaDave

Reaction score
Header leak and piston slap are two pretty different sounds. Best bet would be to get your hands on a stethoscope, the kind with the metal rod attachment. You can carefully run the tube along the header area and you'll hear the leaking area. If not, then attach the metal rod to the stetho and listen while you hold the end along the block. If you hear loud knocking in your ears that coincides with the `bare ear' sound, then that's a big clue. Exhaust leaks won't reverbrate back through the block.

Cuda360

Reaction score
As they say," the proof is in the puddin" if the noise stops before Saturday morning, he was right. If not,walk away..

That's what I'm thinking. I'm going to call him today to see if he's done it.
If I drive the 2 1/2 hrs down there and the sound is still there I'm going to be :mad::mad:!!

I've never heard piston slap or a gasket leak, so I haven't a clue. What do they typically sound like?
I've watched a few videos of both and neither sound like what I'm hearing.

Last edited:

74CudaDave

Reaction score
Header/exhaust leaks tend to sound alot like lifter tick - take a pen and tap the end on a desk or table. Not really heavy. Piston slap tends to sound more like a knock, deeper sound.

Cuda360

Reaction score
Header/exhaust leaks tend to sound alot like lifter tick - take a pen and tap the end on a desk or table. Not really heavy. Piston slap tends to sound more like a knock, deeper sound.

Well, it sound more life the former, only much louder.

S-S-P

Reaction score
With headers, try Permatex Ultra Copper - THIN bead. On both sides of gasket. Use some copper based anti-seize on the bolts/studs. Torque to spec. Fire it up, let get to temp, and re-torque. After a couple hundred miles, check torque again.

Back