• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hello All, from a newbie with a question

PECO

Reaction score
Just joined into what looks like a very interesting, informative and helpful site.

Here,s my problem;
I've replaced the hood hinges on my '70 RT [ STEEL HOOD ] . After aligning the hood and adjusting for up and down I have a problem with the hood in the closed position. The hood at the hinges will not drop down flush with the fenders. It can be pressed down manually but that's not how it's supposed to work. Anybody have this problem . Any help would be appreciated.

AlleyoopMgv

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Did you buy new hood hinges or or used? Maybe the springs are not strong enough to pull the hood down all the way?

ramenth

Reaction score
You might try adjusting them a little further down on the aprons to pull the hood down and then make more adjustments for the hood alignment itself. But I'm thinking the hinges themselves are weak. When the hood is up can you lift up and down on it without moving the hinges themselves?

By the way, welcome aboard!

PECO

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Did you buy new hood hinges or or used? Maybe the springs are not strong enough to pull the hood down all the way?
The hinges are new , the springs are original.
From what some of the other suggestions advise is , to set the hinges down on the rear bolts. This should square the hinges to the hood.
The other item would be to shim the front bolt to make sure there is no binding within the hinge. Point being to have the hinge move as free as possible.
Worth a try.

PECO

Reaction score
loosen the rear bolts and have someone lift up on the hood. Tighten the bolts. I had the same problem.
I think you are right.
Also spend some time shimming the front bolts to make sure that the hinge is not binding and the movement is as free as possible.

PECO

Reaction score
You might try adjusting them a little further down on the aprons to pull the hood down and then make more adjustments for the hood alignment itself. But I'm thinking the hinges themselves are weak. When the hood is up can you lift up and down on it without moving the hinges themselves?

By the way, welcome aboard!
Thanks, but I'm going to try Brads70 advise first , mainly because he also had the problem and the solution worked.

ramenth

Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm going to try Brads70 advise first , mainly because he also had the problem and the solution worked.

Got no problem with that at all. There's always more than one way to skin a cat.

Back