• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Help!

moparguy

Reaction score
Hi guys I have removed everything from the 440 But the (i guess you would call it) an oil pump "drive" I meshes with the cam. anyways I don't know how to remove it. If you know how to remove it please help.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
insert a large screw driver into the slot & rotate it up out of the cam gear , if it is an old drive it may be varnished & hard to get it to walk up out of the cam gear

74 challenger

Reaction score
not really understanding what your saying.My book doesnt show the oil pump dealing with the cam are you talking about the driveshaft and gear in oil pump

DetMatt1

Reaction score
The gear on the cam runs the distributer and the oil pump from opposite ends of the same shaft.

moparguy

Reaction score
yeah I got that it is the oil pump. I have already pulled to cam. The pump walks up about 3 inches but I cant get it up any higher than that.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Pull harder maybe surface tension? Just to clarify you are talking about the shaft that has the gear that meshes with the one on the cam, right?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
it will often build varnish on the shaft below the bushing over time & may be difficult to remove because of this , work it back in & out & the varnish should come off the shaft enough to slide it up

moparguy

Reaction score
Yepp that is hat happened. I just beat it out with my "persuader" (6 pound sledge). Got it out.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
When in doubt use a bigger hammer but maybe not THAT big!
Glad you got it out.

Back