• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

i want to build a 500cui stroker, TIPS ??

Leeman

Reaction score
Hello,
I want to build a 500cui stroker engine.
at the moment i have a:
* 440 blok bored and honed 0.030
* Eagle Cranck
* Eagle Rods
* Speed Pro pistons L2266F
* 906 Heads

Now i was thinking of the next parts, but if you know a beter set up please sent a list of it (it is for in my 1972 barracuda Street/Stripe car)

* Holley street dominator intake ??
* Holley 850 or 950 carburetor ??
* Electronic ignition
* Mopar performance .580 of .620 cam ??
* Roller Rockers 1.5
* A pair of headers that will fit in my 1972 barracuda

Thanks
Kevin

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Well I see a few problems , the L2266 piston is a regular Forged 440 6 pack piston , if you use a stroker crank & 7.1 " con rods , the piston is going to be be about 1/2 into the head , you need a much shorter piston to work with a stroker .
Head choice is important to match enough flow to the CI at the RPM you want to turn the engine up to .The 906 will work but will limit upper RPM to 5500 range .
The Mopar Perf cams were designed in the 70s , there are a lot better choices now using advanced tech / cam design I have used a Lot of Lunati grinds with good results , you need to decide if you want solid or hyd cam , or roller . You need to match the powerband of the cam with the other components to make everything work together , I wouldcall Lunati with you combo & desired result to see what they recommend .
The Intake is one of the best , it sits low & works with a long powerband .
I recommend double the CI so I would look at a 950 Proform carb & TTI headers

IQ52

Reaction score
Cylinder heads, cylinder heads, cylinder heads. You can get the 906 heads to work good on a 500" stroker, but it will take thousands of dollars to do so. Get an aftermarket aluminum head.

What is the purpose of this engine?

Leeman

Reaction score
Well I see a few problems , the L2266 piston is a regular Forged 440 6 pack piston , if you use a stroker crank & 7.1 " con rods , the piston is going to be be about 1/2 into the head , you need a much shorter piston to work with a stroker .
Head choice is important to match enough flow to the CI at the RPM you want to turn the engine up to .The 906 will work but will limit upper RPM to 5500 range .
The Mopar Perf cams were designed in the 70s , there are a lot better choices now using advanced tech / cam design I have used a Lot of Lunati grinds with good results , you need to decide if you want solid or hyd cam , or roller . You need to match the powerband of the cam with the other components to make everything work together , I wouldcall Lunati with you combo & desired result to see what they recommend .
The Intake is one of the best , it sits low & works with a long powerband .
I recommend double the CI so I would look at a 950 Proform carb & TTI headers

The Eagle cranck is a 4150 stroke and the con Rods are 6760.
Can i put the L2266F pistons on it?

Leeman

Reaction score
Cylinder heads, cylinder heads, cylinder heads. You can get the 906 heads to work good on a 500" stroker, but it will take thousands of dollars to do so. Get an aftermarket aluminum head.

What is the purpose of this engine?

It is a hig performance street engine i only need low end power so im going to put a Edelbrock RPM performer intake on it, i think i drive only 2000miles in a year (i only cruise with it when it is nice weather)

Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The Holley Street Dominator may be a better choice for intake , it will also sit lower for better hood clearance .
See the second thread you started but I still say no way the pistons will work with a stroker , you will be 3/16" too tall , even with the block not decked you should be more then .100 to high

IQ52

Reaction score
If you must use the 906 heads, go to a forged piston with about 23cc dish and a 1.867" compression height. But let's be positive which head you will use BEFORE you choose a piston!

What pin diameter do you have with those Eagle rods, .990" or 1.094"?

Back