• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Master Cylinder Studs

72barracuda

Reaction score
Does anyone have a source for the press in knurled studs that are used on master cylinders? My originals are too small for the NAPA replacement that I am using in a drum to disc conversion. If I can't find them I am considering tight fitting bolt and JB Weld.

72barracuda

Reaction score
Manual front discs, OEM style new master cylinder with four bolt holes. The bolts look like a small wheel stud.

moparleo

Reaction score
Any particular reason for not converting to powerbrakes as well ? Only fitment problem is with a second generation Hemi some times. But there are offset m/c mounts to fix that. Right now is the best / most economical time to upgrade the system

rbbruno3

Reaction score
I google searched knurled studs and found places that have them. Just need to make sure to get the right size. I don't think I'd want my master cylinder JB welded on. Just me.

moparleo

Reaction score
Have you driven this car very much ? Simplicity ? I would think that safety and shorter stopping distance would be important. When you say no requirement for vacuum , are you thinking a big cam with no vacuum ?

Moparparts

Reaction score
Studs

I have some of those original studs in very good used condition but they would be the same size as what you have if yours are original. It sounds like the set up with the NAPA cyl your are using should have had a pedal bracket with the studs tacked in the bracket from the factory coming out through the firewall like the manual brake factory applications had. A power brake application does not have studs in the pedal bracket from the factory because the studs are in the back of the booster. You can just add some grade 8 bolts from inside the car out through your pedal bracket and firewall and use a locking nut on the master cylinder. I have the factory nuts also PM me

Does anyone have a source for the press in knurled studs that are used on master cylinders? My originals are too small for the NAPA replacement that I am using in a drum to disc conversion. If I can't find them I am considering tight fitting bolt and JB Weld.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Weird that the holes are a different size , is it the correct master ? The rear piston should have a groove in it to retain the pushrod & a small O ring to keep it in place . JB weld will work fine or just having 2 people , 1 on each side of the firewall while you tighten the nuts under the dash .

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
the master had pressed in studs just like an axle for ease in installtion , the master can be slid into place & the nuts installed under the dash with one person , regular bolts can be used , you just need a second person under the hood to hold the other end of the bolts while they are tightened up

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
the studs or bolts pull through the casting of the master & the plate for the pedals so nothing bad can happen using bolts instead of studs , just wondering if they sold you the wrong master with the larger holes for power brakes

72barracuda

Reaction score
I have the originals and they are just a few mils short of contacting the inner surface of the stud holes in the master cylinder even though this is supposedly the one for the set up. I was hoping various sizes of press fit studs were readily available but they don't seem to be. I can make a nut/bolt arrangement work.

Back