• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Mopar 426 Block for sale

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I bet mercury is a pain in the ass. I had a 64 lincoln continental for about 20 years and it was a pain to get anything for. And expensive. Very expensive. For just about any part unless it was compatible with a mustang. Then the prices were a little cheaper.
I finally got rid of that Lincoln. Only ford in the fleet. As soon as I got rid of it, my paaw gave me his ford truck. Just can't get rid of the ford's.

Cuda416

Reaction score
Google is your friend. There are many sources.

I'm not sure how you think Ford parts are more expensive than Mopar stuff. I've never heard anyone suggest that. Wait till you start buying Gen 2 Hemi parts...

I might believe it to a a degree with specialized FE stuff, like the 427 low/med/high riser heads etc. Cast iron headers used on the thunderbolts etc. But those weren't "normal" items. At least you could get a HEMI in a street car.

Here's one example. Not claiming these are 2nd gen hemi prices, but still pretty pricy.

Cuda416

Reaction score
I think its more due to the fact that mopar has a cult following and chrysler released he original molds to reproduce more items. Ford is a bung hole and even shut down a few parts dealers that simulated the ford name or logo. Thats why Blue Oval shut down. Ford sued them.

I don't think any 2nd gen hemi block currently available new is using the original molds. MP blocks are different by a lot. The lifter bosses are a dead giveaway as the originals were weak. I could be wrong...

Cuda416

Reaction score
A console for a mustang is over 600, a console for a mopar is 300. A door panel for a mustang, just one starts at 600, the challenger you get 2 for 549. You cannot find an A pillar repop for a mustang. Mopar 149. In fact most of the mustang does not have repop so you have to buy it used and it cost a fortune. Engines are cheap but rebuilding a 440 or 383 mopar cost the same as rebuilding a 351C. Mopar is much cheaper and has mostly every part you need to put a car back together. It is tough reading thru the materials though.
Um, no... you cam build an entire mustang from the ground up using dynacorn stuff. not sure where you're getting your info from. I can get both skins for a 67 mustang for less than $150...

Cuda416

Reaction score
Now I am more confused. Is this a Gen 2 block or Gen 3? It is so strange how everything on the internet about mopars is so secretive and hard to find whereas the Ford people fall all over themselves with videos and documents. I do find that mopar parts are cheaper than ford though. That I am grateful for.

HEMI blocks are unique. They are HEMIS. The engine you saw was a wedge. The only commonality between the 426 RB (wedge) and the 426 HEMI is the CID.

Fordication

Reaction score
Um, no... you cam build an entire mustang from the ground up using dynacorn stuff. not sure where you're getting your info from. I can get both skins for a 67 mustang for less than $150...
You are talking external parts. I am talking internal door panels, consoles, etc. I have no idea what the door panel cost for a challenger are because I do not need them.

Fordication

Reaction score
BTW I have a Big Horse 72 Mustang Mach 1. You cannot get any of those parts you mentioned for it although I think they may be repoping a few now. Mine has been finished for 5 year now. Anything older than 69 was too small for me. A pony car, not a real muscle car. That is my opinion.

fasjac

Reaction score
I live in Houston. We have more classic cars than most states combined. We also have more professional engine builders who rebuild at a fair price. Same with transmissions. Try pricing a 90s ford transmission in comparison. They are 3 to 4 times more expensive. I have rebuilt everything there is and GM by far is the cheapest. Based on what I am looking at on the online stores Mopar is second and Ford is third. Do not get me started on Mercury.
I was referring to mainly powertrain parts. Back when we were young in the early 70’s. If you had a mopar, it seemed quite a bit more money for basic stuff. I have no idea now about body and interior parts now. But I hear you. They’re all expensive to restore from the late 60’s to mid 70’s.
Probably due to UIO at the time.

Cuda416

Reaction score
BTW I have a Big Horse 72 Mustang Mach 1. You cannot get any of those parts you mentioned for it although I think they may be repoping a few now. Mine has been finished for 5 year now. Anything older than 69 was too small for me. A pony car, not a real muscle car. That is my opinion.

What? I mentioned body panels, i.e. door skins... less than 150 for two..... fact... Interior panels are hard to find repop for you car because not many people restore them AND a literal **** ton were made so the supply of good original parts is there. It doesn't make sense to make them if they aren't being sold. not many being made, price goes up. Its basic supply and demand. There were more "Big Horse" mustangs procused in 72 alone (125K) then all of the 70-74 Cuda's produced ever so I'm gonna say finding a good original panel is way easier than finding one for a cuda/challenger. You talking about repops or perfect units that require no restoration i think. Go check the price for a "perfect" rally gauge cluster appropriate for a 1970 model (8k tach, one year only). Or a "top lift" switch like the one on my vert.... Go find a windhshield frame for a 72 mistang vert, heck they made more in 72 alone than ALL E-Body verts COMBINED...

Sorry, I just don't see what the point is coming here and spouting how hard it is to restore a mustang on an e-body board?

Fordication

Reaction score
What? I mentioned body panels, i.e. door skins... less than 150 for two..... fact... Interior panels are hard to find repop for you car because not many people restore them AND a literal **** ton were made so the supply of good original parts is there. It doesn't make sense to make them if they aren't being sold. not many being made, price goes up. Its basic supply and demand. There were more "Big Horse" mustangs procused in 72 alone (125K) then all of the 70-74 Cuda's produced ever so I'm gonna say finding a good original panel is way easier than finding one for a cuda/challenger. You talking about repops or perfect units that require no restoration i think. Go check the price for a "perfect" rally gauge cluster appropriate for a 1970 model (8k tach, one year only). Or a "top lift" switch like the one on my vert.... Go find a windhshield frame for a 72 mistang vert, heck they made more in 72 alone than ALL E-Body verts COMBINED...

Sorry, I just don't see what the point is coming here and spouting how hard it is to restore a mustang on an e-body board?
I was saying that I was surprised at the lower cost to restore the Challenger than my mustang was. You are the one that tried to make a debate about it. I am talking about my experience and I keep all records and receipts of all of my projects so I know what I am talking about. On the other hand you can buy those 71-73 mustang projects much cheaper than a Ebody.

Cuda416

Reaction score
I was saying that I was surprised at the lower cost to restore the Challenger than my mustang was. You are the one that tried to make a debate about it. I am talking about my experience and I keep all records and receipts of all of my projects so I know what I am talking about. On the other hand you can buy those 71-73 mustang projects much cheaper than a Ebody.

Ha, ok, whatever... Sounds like you went and bought all new parts but at the end of the day, I am not debating, just stating my "opinion"....

Fordication

Reaction score
Ha, ok, whatever... Sounds like you went and bought all new parts but at the end of the day, I am not debating, just stating my "opinion"....
I am not sure what you are talking about. I stated that I could not find most parts and had to buy used parts for the mustang. I have not bought any parts for my Challenger as of yet, I am still doing research which is what started this conversation to start off with. I asked about the 426 block because I did not know if it was the same as the hemi. I found out that it was not and that a 383-440 were pretty much the same and no need to ask any more questions. I commented that I was happily surprised to find that the mopar revolution is producing parts at a reasonable price in comparison to many of my projects in the past. I am happy for that since I plan on this Challenger to be my last project. I am selling my others, starting with my 93 Ford F150 4x4 Flare side that is completed. Then the Mustang, maybe the Cougar, or it might go to my wife. I may finish the 54 Ford Truck since I already have a rebuilt 312 Y block for it but the body got destroyed when a tree fell over it in a hurricane. So if I do, it will be my last project. I turn 60 this year so I do not want to have to leave these cars for my wife to sell if I die and with my kind of work, that's always a possibility. Covid taught me that. Anyway, that's my opinion on things.

Last edited:

Cuda416

Reaction score
Well you mentioned the prices of repop door panels, which I misunderstood as door skins, so that's where I went, repop parts. have fun with the Challenger.

70chall440

Reaction score
This is a bit interesting because I have heard endless times that Mopars are so much more expensive to build/restore than Ford or GM. I admit that I don't typically work on anything other than Mopar so I don't have any first hand experience but I have seen various parts pricing and it seems to me that pretty much everything is cheaper than Mopar (other than AMC or perhaps Buick). I do know that a tilt column for a Chevy is like $300 but is $900 for a Mopar. I believe there are a lot more parts made for Mustangs than E bodies just due to the shear numbers of cars made.

Cuda416

Reaction score
This is a bit interesting because I have heard endless times that Mopars are so much more expensive to build/restore than Ford or GM. I admit that I don't typically work on anything other than Mopar so I don't have any first hand experience but I have seen various parts pricing and it seems to me that pretty much everything is cheaper than Mopar (other than AMC or perhaps Buick). I do know that a tilt column for a Chevy is like $300 but is $900 for a Mopar. I believe there are a lot more parts made for Mustangs than E bodies just due to the shear numbers of cars made.

Agreed, sheer numbers would dictate a MUCH larger pool of original parts, but it might also dictate a much smaller repop pool in many cases. I'm thinking of things like the OP mentioned regarding interior panels and such. I'd guess the quality of those parts is maybe a little better as well since the people making those parts, make loads of other similar parts etc. Convertible rear interior panels for e-bodies are garbage from what I've seen, but I'm not sure what the stang stuff looks like to be fair.

As far as exterior parts, it ultimately depends on who made the parts and what part it is as we already know.

I'll stand by the FE prices being high. That stuff is crazy expensive. I made the unfortunate mistake of tossing a set of 390 GT heads because I toasted one as a kid and didn't know enough to know how "special" they were. Basically, the same head as on a medium riser 427 I was told. It has the "special" bolt pattern on the exhaust side (3 bolts rather than two for each port). Still, they don't compare to HEMI's in any way shape or form really.

sdcbowler

Reaction score
That's not a hemi block, I believe there is a water jacket issue with putting hemi heads on a wedge block. I'm sure one of the 426 hemi gurus will chime in on this.
I have a 426 CID engine coded 2658836 commercial/industrial (Not a Wedge or Hemi). Does anyone know anything about this type of engine? would it be ok for a Challenger, or would it be low-performing, sluggish, and to be avoided at all costs?
Thanks

Cuda416

Reaction score
I have a 426 CID engine coded 2658836 commercial/industrial (Not a Wedge or Hemi). Does anyone know anything about this type of engine? would it be ok for a Challenger, or would it be low-performing, sluggish, and to be avoided at all costs?
Thanks

Not a wedge or a hemi, so a flat head like a diesel? Pictures?

Nevermind, just googled that casting number. It's a wedge. Wedge is the shape of the combustion chamber as viewed from the side. Comes up as a 413 according to 440 source.

sdcbowler

Reaction score
Not a wedge or a hemi, so a flat head like a diesel? Pictures?

Nevermind, just googled that casting number. It's a wedge. Wedge is the shape of the combustion chamber as viewed from the side. Comes up as a 413 according to 440 source.
I see where you got your info from. It is a 413. However, I do not see where the casting number cross-references to a wedge.

Attachments

• Inked440source_LI.jpg
    Inked440source_LI.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 121
Back