• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

my challenger project

Benjamin Nelson

Reaction score
hey everybody, i thought i would just introduce myself and what my deal is here. my names ben and im 14 years old. i recently bought a 72 challenger as a project car. it was missing a bunch of stuff like all the front end body panels, engine and trans, windshield, and didnt even have a floor but it has some good parts on it like a dana 60 with a 4 link and an 8 point roll cage. im going to build it into a drag car. nobody that i live around really has any experience working on older cars so im kinda on my own, youll probabaly be seeing a lot of posts from me.

thanks
(my profile picture is not my car, sadly)

Adam

Reaction score
Welcome Ben. 14 yrs old! and into Mopars, good for you. Post some pics when you can.

Btw, I have a 17 yr old son who is not a car guy, at all... Oh the shame...jk, but he did learn to drive a stick in my 440/ 5spd Challenger.

moparleo

Reaction score
:welcome: aboard. You sound pretty grown up for 14. Great job. We need pictures no matter what stage your project is in. Much fun ahead. $$$
Similar to Adam except my oldest grandson is 18 and doesn't even have a permit yet and doesn't care.

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome from Arkansas Ben! I remember, 14-15 years old was when I got the Mopar bug. Good for you! Look forward to seeing your project. Send some pics when you can. Glad you’re on the site.

Benjamin Nelson

Reaction score
got some photos: car is dirty and looks crappy but its still an e body.

IMG_2538.JPG

HDGB8776.JPG

HZSD3951.JPG

IMG_2400.JPG

JJLW4741.JPG

TEFI7085.JPG

IMG_2649.JPG

IMG_2648.JPG

IMG_2646.JPG

Benjamin Nelson

Reaction score
Well, it’s definently worse up close. No interior whatsoever and I need to replace the front and rear windows because they lexan is cracked.

But hey, none of my friends even have cars so I think I’m doing good.

R4Sedan

Reaction score
Good for you. I got bit by the Bug riding in the back of a '67 Charger.
Welcome Aboard.

Cuda416

Reaction score
That's far from crappy bud. As far as I'm concerned, you have a really good place to start. Far too many kids these these days can't even change a tire so you're on the right track. you'll find a crap ton of help on these message boards so don't be shy.

Post pics along with your questions if appropriate and don't be afraid to mess up. It's just steel and can always be fixed.

Good luck!

Benjamin Nelson

Reaction score
It’s funny that you guys say that it’s a good place to start, all my family and friends think I’m stupid to try and get it moving.

I’ll show em though

Cuda416

Reaction score
They have no idea.... I'm about to post my project, take a look at that in a few minutes.... don't laugh too hard..

Posted it under member restorations.

Last edited:

fasjac

Reaction score
It’s funny that you guys say that it’s a good place to start, all my family and friends think I’m stupid to try and get it moving.

I’ll show em though
That’s the spirit. Map out the process and budget. I wouldn’t be too hard on yourself about the completion date but, having a solid plan on paper will help. Ask lots of questions.

Benjamin Nelson

Reaction score
I have bought everything I need to make the car run but getting it to the point where it can be raced is going to take a lot of work.

does anybody have some old gauges they’re looking to sell?

fasjac

Reaction score
I have bought everything I need to make the car run but getting it to the point where it can be raced is going to take a lot of work.

does anybody have some old gauges they’re looking to sell?
What are you looking for? Tach, oil pressure, temp. ? I may have some in my totes. Just need to know what you want.

Benjamin Nelson

Reaction score
I need a tach, oil pressure, water temp, fuel pressure, volts, an air/fuel ratio if anyone has one (not necessary)

that’s it, I don’t need the gauges to be original challenger ones, I just need some to put in the dash. The original dash isn’t in the car, it’s an aluminium one. Preferably 2 5/8 size but I can make anything work.

fasjac

Reaction score
I don’t have the A/F but, most likely the rest of them. I’ll get em out tomorrow evening and send you a pic.

fasjac

Reaction score
Here’s what I have that are unused. The oil press, amp, and temp are 2 5/8. I can sell the whole lot for 100 bucks for YOU.
the problem may be you’re in Canada. I don’t know at the moment what shipping would cost. It may be easier to source them close to your location.

8D123704-6A12-4697-BC35-CFCC982065B3.jpeg

853A10FE-807B-46D9-91E9-7E4B5C36A7F5.jpeg

B395E2CE-DA4D-4A2D-A52F-3936928A1952.jpeg

67C8B7E1-4ED5-4933-839C-792E8AB5335E.jpeg

Back