• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

My T/A restoration...

Old B5

Reaction score
Nice work. That is going to be one hell of car when you are done. It's getting the type of restoration a T/A deserves. Thanks for saving it.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Not a whole lot to report as I still have not been able to free up enough time to get a whole day's stretch in at the garage. I had a few minutes this morning so I figured I would post my latest save. As we all know, original brake system components are usually difficult and sometimes not safe to restore. I went out of my way to restore the booster and master cylinder and I was able to save the original Kelsey-Hayes front calipers which I mentioned in earlier posts but one piece of the puzzle I was certain I would not be able to hang on to was the original proportioning valve/metering block combo. I installed a new reproduction part but saved the original, date-coded block "just in case." Well thanks to a friend and definite Mopar mentor over on FBBO (he is here on FEBO too, spying on my resto!), I was made aware of a company called Brake & Equipment Warehouse in Minnesota. They had the tools and ability to re-sleeve the 2 valves which is no easy task as the metering block has an unusual 8 sided nut that needs to be removed. And we all know how stubborn anything that hasn't moved in nearly 50 years can be. They turned it around in under 2 weeks for a very reasonable price and now, the proportioning valve and metering block that came with the car the day it left the assembly line is safely back in service. So the repop part is for spare (or sale!)

20190209_141827.jpg
20190209_141844.jpg
20190319_175647.jpg
20190319_175708.jpg
20190319_175717.jpg
20190319_175721.jpg
20190319_175737.jpg

20140417_182306.jpg
20141228_152307.jpg

1970 E Body_Booster Restored_01.JPG

Here are the booster and master cylinder I mentioned earlier. Yes, that is the same booster as the before photo! Lots of time spent after media blasting with body filler to get it to look like that.

I'm hoping to get back to wrapping up the interior soon. The engine is still at the machine shop and that is the last really big piece of the puzzle that will need some serious time and money. Thank you all for staying tuned...

Oh and I feel I have to give a shout-out to aforementioned Mopar guy. He goes by MN74 here and moparnation74 on FBBO. If you want to see one of the most special and jaw-dropping "day 1" restorations, check out his thread For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration 150+ pages of inspiring work to bring his beloved Father's 69 GTX back to a museum-quality level. And it really is in a museum now! Thanks Justin for all of your help and kind words. You, my friend, are a true asset to the Mopar community...

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Really great work.

I'm going to contact the MN company. I've been through 2 repop brake blocks and still they still leak!! Hope they can get my originals operational.

As always, thanks for sharing all the resto tips.

moparlee

Reaction score
All those brake parts look great! Top notch work Grady:thumbsup: and thanks for the Brake & Equipment WH tip. I have also watched along with Justin's GTX resto and have seen his car in person at the MCACN show in Chicago. The museum that his car is in is here in Michigan at the Gillmore Car Museum Must See Collections!. A must see if anyone is in the area.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Grady
Exceptional work on the brake valves, master and booster.
I bought the repops on the valves with new brake lines and but have not yet installed them.
Your work makes me think I should check out that company in Minnesota.
It would be great to keep my original date coded valves, which worked well before my teardown.
Thanks for the tip.
Phil

Dino2 (1).gif

IMG_3272.jpg

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Really great work.

I'm going to contact the MN company. I've been through 2 repop brake blocks and still they still leak!! Hope they can get my originals operational.

As always, thanks for sharing all the resto tips.

Grady
Exceptional work on the brake valves, master and booster.
I bought the repops on the valves with new brake lines and but have not yet installed them.
Your work makes me think I should check out that company in Minnesota.
It would be great to keep my original date coded valves, which worked well before my teardown.
Thanks for the tip.
Phil

View attachment 62770

View attachment 62769

Thank you all for your replies. Brake & Equipment Warehouse also do wheel cylinders and master cylinders along with a whole bunch of other cool stuff. Home | Brake & Equipment Warehouse It's always best when you can keep the original parts so long as they're functioning at 100% and in a safe manner. Can't mess with brakes! I will always gladly pass along any references I have either discovered myself or have been told of by others. Sharing information is the right thing to do to help perpetuate this hobby.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
All those brake parts look great! Top notch work Grady:thumbsup: and thanks for the Brake & Equipment WH tip. I have also watched along with Justin's GTX resto and have seen his car in person at the MCACN show in Chicago. The museum that his car is in is here in Michigan at the Gillmore Car Museum Must See Collections!. A must see if anyone is in the area.

Thank you! Again, passing along information is always the right thing to do.

I know Justin's thread is long and some might feel that it's just another nice paint job and a bunch of new parts. I encourage any of you out there who are at all interested in what it truly takes to complete a real, day 1 restoration that earned 995/1000 points in judging. This is not a high-dollar, prestigious restoration facility - this is one man in his garage like many of us here. Reading the details of the great lengths he went to from start to finish to accurately restore original parts and source NOS parts is truly admirable. I will take my A12 car to that level which definitely goes a step above what I'm doing with my Challenger.

I have heard nothing but great things about that Gillmore Museum and hope to get there one day. Thanks for the link Lee...

MN74

Reaction score
Thank you! Again, passing along information is always the right thing to do.

I know Justin's thread is long and some might feel that it's just another nice paint job and a bunch of new parts. I encourage any of you out there who are at all interested in what it truly takes to complete a real, day 1 restoration that earned 995/1000 points in judging. This is not a high-dollar, prestigious restoration facility - this is one man in his garage like many of us here. Reading the details of the great lengths he went to from start to finish to accurately restore original parts and source NOS parts is truly admirable. I will take my A12 car to that level which definitely goes a step above what I'm doing with my Challenger.

I have heard nothing but great things about that Gillmore Museum and hope to get there one day. Thanks for the link Lee...
Mark

Thank you for the kind words and shout out in your wonderful thread......I knew the guys a BE warehouse would refinish a stellar part!. I had them do the MC, WC's, and prop valve.....The MC and WC's they sleeved with stainless steel. The cleaning process is amazing....Especially, on the cast iron.....They also will reline your original brake shoes.....If you find non pitted viable frames with logos, they can put new pads on them....I had a spare set done by them....

I have to say I cannot believe the is the same booster...WOW!....You have a lot of time and elbow grease vested in that part.....It looks flipping brand new....Well, done!......

When you get to the A12, I would love to help you out with many things for that build.....Hardware, parts etc.....Keep me in mind!

Great to see you back at it!

Justin

brake.jpg
brake2.jpg
brake3.jpg

MN74

Reaction score
Lee...

Where you at the Mopar show this year at the museum?.........

moparlee

Reaction score
Lee...

Where you at the Mopar show this year at the museum?.........
Hi Justin,
No, something came up that we couldn't make it over there. Dang! It would have been fun to meet up with you again. Nice seeing you over here on FEBO checking in on Mark's awesome T/A resto.

68bee

Reaction score
Hey Grady thats a great job you did on the TA. I have a question for you, Im restoring the leaf springs on my AAR and was wondering if you had the part number you used for the Leaf spring shackle bushings. Rockauto lists Moog K7308 for Challenger and K7309 for Cuda But the TA / AAR used the same springs

340 Slapstick

Reaction score
Can someone show me a photo/diagram of how the lines are supposed to be run from the master cyl. to the proportioning valve and metering block? I am having troubles with my brakes not working unless I pump the pedal every time.

340 Slapstick

Reaction score
Yes, this helps. Affirm the fact that I did connect everything correctly but I’m still having issues with my brakes being weak and have to pump them at least once to get good pedal. I’m using brakes from ram man and they seem good enough but not getting the results I want. Also, what is that little “button “ with the black grommet around it, on the bottom of the Metering block for?

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I just went through this thread and I am amazed.
Very impressed.
However, no update since 2019.
@Grady Cain
I am wondering what the status is on this car.
Was it sold or are you still working on it.
I hope your health is in a good place.

Back