• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

My T/A restoration...

AUSTA

Reaction score
Great work on the gearbox housing & rear chrome.
That devcon is expensive but is the best we used to use it for bearing housings.

383RT

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I will have some free time in few weeks and be able to introduce myself and my cars in the Welcome Wagon section.

mopar steve

Reaction score
Apparently I have been in a cave, with my fingers in my ears... I just saw this thread for the first time today. Incredible work Grady! Love the detailed photos. Must be one of the best T/A cars out there.

You and me as well , as a fellow T/A owner I applaud you on the outstanding OCD work and dedication . Thank You

mopar steve

Reaction score
I am actually on the border of South Connecticut and New York , would love to see it in person

Grady Cain

Reaction score
KNOCK KNOCK GRADY!!!!!!

Any updates?

Hey Justin - Merry Christmas/Happy New Year! I haven't been in the shop in forever unfortunately due to many obstacles - some good, some not so good. I'm trying to make a resolution to get going again over the winter. A LOT of money went out when the 440 for my A12 finally got finished from the machine shop last month so the financial obstacle is there. Granted, there is plenty to do on the T/A without spending money right now but there are on-going health obstacles that prevent me from finding any energy or motivation after working all day. Plus the band is keeping me busy too. We have been in the studio since November writing new music and recording our album as all the current tracks on our web and FB pages are just demos. 2019 should be the year to get something accomplished on the car(s) - at least that's the plan. I really have been trying to get the T/A finished for it's 50th birthday in 2020.

Here are at least a few current pics that I don't think I've posted to show where the car is at now. The original 340 is at the same engine builder that did my 440 with a promise of it being completed by summer 2019. I'm still missing some key parts so the searches will continue over the winter. Some parts that got "restored" from outside vendors are not up to my standards but I may have to live with them for he time being. This car will most likely be for sale when she turns 50 in order to have the proper funds to do my A12 to the level it deserves. I'd consider selling it now due to financial issues but not many people are willing to pay up for an unfinished car so.... the restoration goes on! (Offers are welcome though!)

Thanks for checking in - Mark

20170715_171512.jpg
Trunk area completed.
20170617_164925.jpg
Carpet and some seat belts installed.
20170526_125023.jpg
Original trim ring before (all 4 looked as bad or worse than this one)
20170908_111449.jpg
Restored by Rick Miller. These rings are special to the T/A & AAR with steel wheels. They are 3 1/8" deep, deeper than those for the rallye wheels and are not reproduced. Even if they were repopped, my mission (as everyone here should know by now) is to restore before replace no matter the cost. Having them all was a blessing but finding someone who had the tools to separate the ring from the surround to be able to restore them to this level was incredible. A big shout out to Rick.
You can also see the basket from the original 4x10" speaker in the picture. There are modern speakers out there that will fit the opening but do not look like the original. I found a re-cone kit that is real close to the original shape and with a little modification, I should be able to restore that too. Another rainy day project.
20170806_100509.jpg
Most of the glass installed.

20170720_145328.jpg

MN74

Reaction score
Hey Justin - Merry Christmas/Happy New Year! I haven't been in the shop in forever unfortunately due to many obstacles - some good, some not so good. I'm trying to make a resolution to get going again over the winter. A LOT of money went out when the 440 for my A12 finally got finished from the machine shop last month so the financial obstacle is there. Granted, there is plenty to do on the T/A without spending money right now but there are on-going health obstacles that prevent me from finding any energy or motivation after working all day. Plus the band is keeping me busy too. We have been in the studio since November writing new music and recording our album as all the current tracks on our web and FB pages are just demos. 2019 should be the year to get something accomplished on the car(s) - at least that's the plan. I really have been trying to get the T/A finished for it's 50th birthday in 2020.

Here are at least a few current pics that I don't think I've posted to show where the car is at now. The original 340 is at the same engine builder that did my 440 with a promise of it being completed by summer 2019. I'm still missing some key parts so the searches will continue over the winter. Some parts that got "restored" from outside vendors are not up to my standards but I may have to live with them for he time being. This car will most likely be for sale when she turns 50 in order to have the proper funds to do my A12 to the level it deserves. I'd consider selling it now due to financial issues but not many people are willing to pay up for an unfinished car so.... the restoration goes on! (Offers are welcome though!)

Thanks for checking in - Mark

View attachment 55644 Trunk area completed. View attachment 55647 Carpet and some seat belts installed.
View attachment 55654 Original trim ring before (all 4 looked as bad or worse than this one)View attachment 55655 Restored by Rick Miller. These rings are special to the T/A & AAR with steel wheels. They are 3 1/8" deep, deeper than those for the rallye wheels and are not reproduced. Even if they were repopped, my mission (as everyone here should know by now) is to restore before replace no matter the cost. Having them all was a blessing but finding someone who had the tools to separate the ring from the surround to be able to restore them to this level was incredible. A big shout out to Rick.
You can also see the basket from the original 4x10" speaker in the picture. There are modern speakers out there that will fit the opening but do not look like the original. I found a re-cone kit that is real close to the original shape and with a little modification, I should be able to restore that too. Another rainy day project.
View attachment 55653 Most of the glass installed.

View attachment 55648
Mark

Sorry to hear about the health issues.....I didn't know and wish you a speedy recovery my friend!

Was there major issues with the 440 block?

Great to see you around and still cranking at them! You and your family have a wonderful time and stay safe!

Justin

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Looking great, wouldn’t expect any less. Hope you feel better I’m searching for the fountain of youth with no luck yet

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the health issues.....I didn't know and wish you a speedy recovery my friend!

Hope you feel better I’m searching for the fountain of youth with no luck yet

Thank you guys - that means a lot. Nothing really serious but I've been battling Lyme Disease for a few years now and with my most recent tests turning up positive for Acute Lyme, my symptoms are at a very high point right now. Of the many symptoms, one is extreme fatigue - the type of fatigue that makes you want to fall asleep all day long. Also the level of fatigue that makes you so tired you misjudge how close my extremely sharp chef knife was to the top of my left ring finger while chopping veggies. That part of my finger is no longer with me.:( Ugh... It's been a rough month. Gotta laugh and just keep going...

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Was there major issues with the 440 block?

The block was good but the crank was hurt from spun bearings. That car was heavily drag raced so it's no surprise. Date code correct block and #s matching 4-speed (which I've already had Jaime Passon rebuild with NOS parts.) My guy was able to save the original crankshaft and had it re-nitrided. Since I was already deep in it, we went a little nuts with high-end internals so there is a lot of his race technology in there but with street reliability. Once I assemble it, we will run it on his dyno. His machine work is known throughout the East Coast and beyond, having several engines in Nascar, SK Modified and almost all of the Outlaw field. www.facebook.com/pg/Performance-Engines-By-Billy-The-Kid-412016085492242/posts/
His win list is lengthy and his reliability is legendary. He is a friend of mine and a huge Mopar guy who owns a 1 of 1 1966 Hemi Satellite that was a factory demo car with every option that he bought from the original owner. I am fortunate to be able to have had him build my street engine because he doesn't do them much as his race business/schedule is insane. The price I paid was a 2 1/2 year wait and oh yeah, the PRICE I PAID! I am excited to hear it run but I still have lots of parts to acquire before I can even assemble it. And the parts have to be correct - you know all about that!

MN74

Reaction score
The block was good but the crank was hurt from spun bearings. That car was heavily drag raced so it's no surprise. Date code correct block and #s matching 4-speed (which I've already had Jaime Passon rebuild with NOS parts.) My guy was able to save the original crankshaft and had it re-nitrided. Since I was already deep in it, we went a little nuts with high-end internals so there is a lot of his race technology in there but with street reliability. Once I assemble it, we will run it on his dyno. His machine work is known throughout the East Coast and beyond, having several engines in Nascar, SK Modified and almost all of the Outlaw field. www.facebook.com/pg/Performance-Engines-By-Billy-The-Kid-412016085492242/posts/
His win list is lengthy and his reliability is legendary. He is a friend of mine and a huge Mopar guy who owns a 1 of 1 1966 Hemi Satellite that was a factory demo car with every option that he bought from the original owner. I am fortunate to be able to have had him build my street engine because he doesn't do them much as his race business/schedule is insane. The price I paid was a 2 1/2 year wait and oh yeah, the PRICE I PAID! I am excited to hear it run but I still have lots of parts to acquire before I can even assemble it. And the parts have to be correct - you know all about that!
You certainly have the right guy there! Well worth the wait......

340challconvert

Reaction score
Grady
Hope you feel better
Your work on the Challenger continues to look great!
Merry Christmas and happy New Year to you and family.
Phil

moparlee

Reaction score
Thank you guys - that means a lot. Nothing really serious but I've been battling Lyme Disease for a few years now and with my most recent tests turning up positive for Acute Lyme, my symptoms are at a very high point right now. Of the many symptoms, one is extreme fatigue - the type of fatigue that makes you want to fall asleep all day long. Also the level of fatigue that makes you so tired you misjudge how close my extremely sharp chef knife was to the top of my left ring finger while chopping veggies. That part of my finger is no longer with me.:( Ugh... It's been a rough month. Gotta laugh and just keep going...
Yikes, that is not a pretty picture from that description. The cars are second to taking care of yourself and your health is foremost. I hadn't realized how long it had been since you posted any updates. Top notch as usual. Take care and get better:thumbsup:

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Grady
Hope you feel better
Your work on the Challenger continues to look great!
Merry Christmas and happy New Year to you and family.
Phil

Hey Phil - Thank you so much man. I really appreciate the well-wishes and compliments. I hope you and your family have a happy and safe New Year as well!

Mark

Last edited:

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Yikes, that is not a pretty picture from that description. The cars are second to taking care of yourself and your health is foremost. I hadn't realized how long it had been since you posted any updates. Top notch as usual. Take care and get better:thumbsup:

Lee - Thank you very much for your kind words. It means a lot that you (and everyone else who posted) took time to look at my restoration and responded so favorably. Yes, without our health, where are we? I'm powering through all of the pain and fatigue and am really hoping to get to the shop soon - I have the itch! Thanks again and I hope you and your family have a happy and safe New Year!

Mark

Back