• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Newbie from Wichita, Kansas

stu in wichita

Reaction score
I was real happy when I found this great site!

I just re-acquired a '74 Challenger. It was my son's first car, which we finished the first time almost 15 years ago. It was the proverbial "field car" in mud up to the doors. We had to fabricate frame rails (I see repops are now widely available), replaced a lot of sheet metal and vitually all mechanicals. It turned out pretty nice, especially on our limited budget. The attached photo is from then, not now.

It was his only car, and he drove it about 70K miles before he parked it a few years ago. As you can imagine, it's now kinda rough, so it's time to go through it again. But this time, it's for me, and I'm pretty pumped about it.

I've been checking out the forums and have been getting some ideas. Here's the plan, so far:

• First, I plan to drive this car a lot, so I'll stick with the 318 auto, but this time I'll use an overdrive tranny.
  • The wiring is a total mess. All of the seat belt interlock stuff has been by-passed, so I will probably pull it out completely. A total rewire may be in order, so I'm curious to hear other people's input on that.
  • I want it to look good, so it's getting an interior and freshening up the body and paint. It wasn't originally sublime, but it's too cool to ever go back!
  • I may do some tweaks to the front suspension and brakes if it'll make a difference that I can feel. Otherwise, just rebuild with OEM stuff.
  • As an old man living in Kansas, I'll definitely add A/C. I've used Classic Auto Air products before and am leaning that way. I hope to get more input from the forum before I order anything.
  • Serious cruising requires good sounds from both the exhausts and stereo! Again, I'll be checking out what you guys have done before I decide on anything.

Thanks in advance for the help I'm sure I'll need.
-Stu

Mopar.jpg

Last edited:

ramenth

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Stu!

Lots of good information on the site and don't be afraid to ask questions.

IrishMaeve

Reaction score
I just happen to notice your post on another thread and saw that you're from KS and I'm in the Coffeyville area so I thought I'd say hello! I know this thread is old so you're probably done with your car but I'm just getting started so if you have any good contacts in the area that you highly recommend you'll have to pass them along. :)

stu in wichita

Reaction score
I'm actually just starting on mine too. This is its second "re-birth" and it's gonna be tougher this time. Worst issue is major rust in the rear frame rails and trunk floor. I'm not looking forward to that part, but eventually the fun will begin! I figure it will take me close to a couple of years, doing most of the work myself.

I'm still trying to make local Mopar contacts, which I'll be glad to share with you. The local club Wichita Area Mopars (WAM) is worth checking out - http://www.wichitamopar.com/. Their website isn't real elaborate, but there's some contact info so that you can get to know some of them. They have a show in Wichita in June or July, which would be worth the trip for you.

Also, there is a pretty large club in the KC area - http://www.hpacmopar.com/ . I haven't been to any of their events, but I hear they're a great bunch.

I'll be anxious to hear how your project goes. Post some pix and let us know what all you have planned. Also, if you find some sources down your way, maybe they can help me out.

Welcome aboard!

-Stu

LeoD

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Kansas. I'm currently converting a 74 challenger to a 70 r/t for my wife.

Ray

Reaction score
Welcome. I have some property in Ark City. It was my sons house when he was stationed in Wichita. I bought it off him, actually thinking of retiring there.

Back