• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

newbie with 71 challenger question

mopar maniac

Reaction score
Hi, We just joined the forum. We have a 71 challenger convertible we have been working on for quite some time. Finally got our 472 Hemi put in last weekend. The car was originally a 318 car. We have a question on part # 3438494 which is called a sensor speedo or an A/T NOX speed switch. Does anybody know if we can just eliminate this part? It screws into the side of the 727 and there is a wire lead, the speedo cable screws in to it. Any help would be appreciated. Can't find anything about it in the factory service manual. Thanks.

AlleyoopMgv

Reaction score
Welcome to the site! I can't answer your question, I'm a body/paint guy. If you have a little patience, someone will answer it for you.

mopar maniac

Reaction score
Thank's for the welcome----it's really hard to track down this parts purpose. Got the shop manual and can't locate it anywhere. I think the problem is that the Challenger is a California car and they and some really weird polution addons.

chasduster

Reaction score
Welcome and I would like to see it got any pics........

mopar maniac

Reaction score
I'll try to get some pictures posted tomorrow. It's gunmetal grey metallic, black top with white interior. Had the dash and door panels done by just dashes and the gauges redone by redline. Just got it back from the body shop couple of months ago. No rust---spent it's whole life in Cal. and Az.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
That car sounds amazing, looking forward to some pics. My father and I have a `71 convertible also, Butterscotch/black/black #'s match 383 auto. Next time I have it I will look to see if it has the same part on it, meen time I'll grab a look at my `70 to see if it has one. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it.

daredevil

Reaction score
i,ve never seen one connected. do you have the lean burn distributor? if not youre probably good to disconnect it. from what i understand it takes out timing if you have spark knock. aftermarket distributor wouldnt need it.

daredevil

Reaction score
sorry im thinking of a different part. could that possibly have something to do with cruise control

Rob C

Reaction score
I've never heard/seen of such a part on the side of a transmission. Can you post up a picture of this item?

moper

Reaction score
Never heard of or seen it before... But, I'd think if it signals off the speedo cable, by eliminating it you lose nothing. You're not running the factory ignition control or carb setup... So just get rid of it.

fishy68

Reaction score
I've never heard of it either. Did the car have cruise control that maybe that controlled? I don't think it'd hurt anything to eliminate it.

mopar maniac

Reaction score
Thank's for all the help---finally tracked it down. The part is about 4" long and screws into the trans. and the speedo cable screws into it, sort of an extension with a wire connection. Bought the car from the second owner in 96---he owned since 74. This part was partof a Cal. early polution control were there was some sort of a vacum device on the firewall that the guy I bought it from must have removed. Even the fuel tank I replaced has multiple fittings for polution control. Challenger was a 318 car that the second owner believe it or not replaced with a 273. Lot of ongoing changes--replaced factory 7-1/4 rearend with a 8-3/4 and now the Hemi. Last minute change---decide to go with a set of repopped Hemi manifolds from Mancini racing so I guess I'll have a brand new set of TTI 2-1/8 ceramic coated headers for sale. Thank's again for the help.

mopar maniac

Reaction score
I'll try to get some pictures up today. By the way we also have a 09 R/T Hemi Orange Challenger we bought one year ago this week.

torinoso

Reaction score
another hemi swap

I am also putting a hemi (1966) into a 318 car (1970). I am planning on using the stock manifolds with ps pb and ac. Did you have any fitment problems? thanks, Eric

Back