• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Not sure where to go from here. Rallye dash wiring problem

msbaugh

Reaction score
I have an original rallye dash that someone had put in my chally before i bought it. The car was originally a v6 car but was converted somewhere down the line. Its at the shop right now... the rallye dash doesn't work in it due to the wiring that it had before...
my question is... what kind of wiring harness do I need to get the rallye dash to work?
And is it even worth it? The shop it's at right now told me that re-wiring the dash would cost almost 4k$!! That is way too much for me.
Im thinking about selling it and just settling with a standard cluster.
Where can I get a standard (non-rallye) cluster?
And how much is a original rallye dash worth? I want to sell it to help pay for the new one I want to put in if I can even find it...

Also one more question! Is there a good aftermarket (pro touring) type dash that would work with an original slant 6 cars wiring?
I dont know what to do here... I simply cant afford to spend 4 thousand on getting a dash to fit and WORK. All I want is a working speedometer, fuel gauge, and temp gauge, other than that I can add those small aftermaket ones...

thanks for the help
I would love to have the rallye one in, but not sure how to do it cheap

msbaugh

Reaction score
I posted this in the interior trim section also. Just wanted to see if I could get any extra responses from people that have maybe done this before

71droptop

Reaction score
ralley dash

your ralley dash is worth quite a few bucks. you can get a dash harness from year one. the speedo is cable drive not electrical. i just sent my ralley cluster out to dash worx. they recalibrate everything. fair price-fast turn around.how handy r u. last one i did 10 yrs. ago. i had dash out of car. on the bench its not that hard. remove screws from defrost vent area.unhook vent cables.steering column out of car. remove fuse block from firewall. kick panels out of car too. it will expose 2 bolts that hold dash in place at kick panel area, i also just documented w pics the back of a donar ralley dash. will try to forward pics.good luck. NO FEAR. GIVE ME YOUR E MAIL ADDRESS having hard time uploading pics here. have 10 pics for you. any suggestion on how to. not up on url stuff.

burntorange70

Reaction score
I would try putting up a post here in the parts wanted section. You never know. Some one here just may have what you need.

tuxedoshaker

Reaction score
From my experence the only difference in dash harness is you would add a grey wire from the tach and an extra wire to the wiper switch and thats only if you have a three speed wiper up grade .some options would add or subtract wires like floor shift light versus non but in general not much difference .

Dirt Dobber

Reaction score
I need a rally dash cluster for a 1974 Cuda. I have one of the other style clusters. The rally cluster will be sent out for restoration so about anything will be a good start. Does anyone make a complete wiring harnes other than the ones sold at Year one for the 74 cuda?

olebrowndodge

Reaction score
if the price is right i would buy your rally dash and give you my non rally dash, but far as fixing yours 4k is way to much i would get someone else to wire it. i bought a color wiring diagram and a new harness for one of my cars and is wasnt a problem at all to wire

71cudajoe

Reaction score
I need a rally dash cluster for a 1974 Cuda. I have one of the other style clusters. The rally cluster will be sent out for restoration so about anything will be a good start. Does anyone make a complete wiring harnes other than the ones sold at Year one for the 74 cuda?

I bought a completely refurbished rallye dash cluster directly from RT-Engineering (DashWorx). They sell the clusters and do the refurbishing both. They are great to work with and do a fantastic job. They should be able to help you with whatever you need: http://rt-eng.com/.

msbaugh

Reaction score
I just e-mailed DashWorx to see what they could do or me.
I've decided to get my rallye dash restored and rewire it myself (probably won't happen until Thanksgiving or Christmas just because I'm so busy).
I looked at DashWorx and it seems that they have a wiring conversion set for sale.
oleBrownDodge where did you get your diagram and harness from? That would help me out big time
Thanks, Matt

olebrowndodge

Reaction score
the wiring diagram came from classiccarwiring.com,,,or give them a call like i did at 917-861-9131,,,they cost around 14.00 when i got mine,,,they are also on e-bay,,, the harness was order for me by a body shop dont know where they got it from

SonofaGun71'

Reaction score
Here is a link to FREE*** wiring diagrams you can save and print

I am NOT good with wiring, but didnt have a 1k +++to spend on wiring and labor either. I had a major meltdown from my alt. straight up my steering column.
I was trying to get one of my alt. belts to quit slipping put a bit too much leverage on housing and cracked it.
I watched my wiring melt from my fingertips down my fender and into the bulkhead connector. Faster than I could say " Mu#@!*er
I now use 1 belt and keep the other one in the trunk no squealing now:)
Hate to admit it but those words " disconnect the neg. from bat. before you proceed" . would have prevented this lol
In a nutshell I found a unmelted bulkhead \fusebox. for like $90,
I found a company that sells wiring terminals that snap and lock into it for 6.99 for a 25 pck thats just for the brass female ends, and they dont have a matching \quality male {The Repair Connector Store}
get a good quality booklet of wire labels or markers The extra couple dollars makes a difference when you are putting things back together and your wire tags are unreadable or missing.
If you have the cash I would purchase a ratcheting crimping tool, I always use a tiny bit of solder as well, a quality crimper is just a cool thing to have.

I dont have rally dash but can tell you that there are some things you need to check and confirm they fuction properly, I was having issues with headlight and dimmer switch, I would replace the Inst clstr voltage limiter. You can buy a 'solid state' limiter from ebay for $30 or make one for less than $10 (radioshack).
I had to re-string my whole main hrnss it wasnt that bad really. In the process I used a bit heavier wire that is oil and gas resistant, for the main pos. neg. leads and I was lucky I didnt have a complete meltdown when i got it unwrapped.
I would go through and explain how easy gauges are to test and to pinpoint if its a sensor etc,... theres tons of info already written available free to anyone looking for it.

Check out diagrams, other forums, get some quotes. see which route is best for you.If you have photoshop or similar I found that coloring the B\W diagrams the chaos becomes a bit easier to understand and when your about done it actually becomes fairly logical how they string it all together
heres a link to
wiring diagrams for all Mopar cars from 1955 through 1976.

(not confirmed by me but they had what I was looking for and a I found a lot of very helpful tips and etc..
http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=24

ralley have oil pressure gauge instead warning light, there would be additional wires for the clock and tach. It really should not be too much of an ordeal I dont think.
Another cool thing I found is Clear Electrical tape @ walmart $.99 the glue on it prety much sucks so sealing the ends off with some good friction tape. But it sure will make future electrical issues so much easier to spot without having to unravel EVERYTHING.
I aquired a 15 gallon tub of misc mopar wiring odds and ends, I have probably 2 near perfect main bulkhead connect\fuse boxes, if yours is melted at all it was pretty common in these cars I can part with one if you need or after u pinpoint the missing 'links' you need let me know by highlighting what it is in a diagram i can look for you.

70BarracudaB consopple copy.jpg

DSCF4569 copy.jpg

Dirt Dobber

Reaction score
Thanks, I will check out Dash Worx. I have to buy a complete new wiring harness for the 74 from Year One, mine is gone. I noticed variations in the new harness as for the different years of manufacture. I assume this maybe for the different clusters??? Can someone let me know what the differences are? I can purchase the harness to match the cluster if necessary.

Back