• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

O3HDFB......Hurst TKO600 Elite Kit Installation in 1970 Challenger

03HDFB

Reaction score
Well,
Finally receieved the missing piece...the Qucktime Bellhouseing / Scatter Shield.....Its time to do the tranny swap
I went with the Hurst TKO600 Elite Conversion kit....I spoke with a few on the conversion kit suppliers while I was
at SEMA last year...and really like the guys from Hurst....So...Its time to get it on!! Here's the Kit:
TKO_BEBodies.jpg
Transmission

Here's the First Mock up of the tranny assembly....to see if we need to do any cutting. My car was originally and auto....and Hodges Restoration converted it
to a 4 speed back in 2009.
IMG_1355_zpsc7c6233c.jpg

IMG_1354_zps85779c62.jpg

While working thru the TVS Suspension install I Noticed the starter was ridding on the header...So I made a little Dimpling tool to create some clearance
IMG_1351_zps8ace6edc.jpg

IMG_1352_zps76a70b13.jpg

03HDFB

Reaction score
Updated......Trim Prep and clearance cut!

Well,
I'd say the template was a bit off....The Inner circle was where I was supposed to cut....But Need way more.
This is how it looks

IMG_1358_zpsac685099.jpg

IMG_1359_zpsd1e78250.jpg

03HDFB

Reaction score
Update.....Tunnel Patched Just need Seam Sealer, Under coating and Final Install!!

Well,
I need to rework the exhaust plumbing a little...I wanted to anyway...It road a bit low for my liking!!
So...Tunnel cut and patched...all welded up. Cuts need some seam sealer and under coating and the
tranny can go in for the last time. I may need to shim the tranny at the crossmember...Looks like it rides
a bit low!!

IMG_1363_zps00b2abbb.jpg

IMG_1360_zpsa0484950.jpg

IMG_1362_zpsf8401c4a.jpg

IMG_1361_zpsd00345dc.jpg

03HDFB

Reaction score
Update.....Tunnel Patch Seam Sealed and Under Coated....HAve to Use Hydro Clutch

Well,
I've got the Tunnel Patch all Seam Sealed abd Undercoated....Ready for Final Tranny Install.
Ran into a little problem....With the use of the scattershield.....There's no way to run the factory
Clutch Z arm....just wont work!! So....I guess I'll be putting on a Hydro clutch. THe Guys at Quicktime were great
.....The Offfered to make me another bellhousing....but I just don't have another 2 weeks to waste...I already waisted
3 weeks with the F-Up from Hurst...sending me the wrong bellhousing in the first place!

IMG_1398_zps9a7a65aa.jpg

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Hey Greg, the zbar wont fit with the qicktime bell? Thats the setup I have too, i just havent had the zbar in when i test fit the tranny

03HDFB

Reaction score
Nope.....I Could have made it work...with some machine work On my End.....But With the Entire debockle and wasted days due to Hurst (2) F-Up's...I was too pissed to fix it!!! Hurst gave me Ross McCombs (QuckTime Owner) info t I could talk with him To confirm the issues I was having. Fricken Great guy!!! He Offered to make all things right...even though it wasn't his issue.....But I Couldn't afford to wait another week or 2....so I went with the quickest fix....Hydro clutch kit!! If you still want to go with the Zbar and factory clutch on the scatter shield....I'll send you some info!

Adam

Reaction score
I went with a hydraulic clutch for my Tremec installed in a 71 Challenger. You will have to remove the clutch pedal spring and maybe lengthen the pedal rod to get the pedals even. Not hard at all, unless the trans, exhaust, dash, etc, are in the way...Ha! also, if you can, try to bench bleed the throwout bearing and clutch (master) cylinder. Keep the hydraulic line connected to the throwout bearing filled with fluid and plugged with something. That way when you connect the line to the master cylinder there will be very little air in the system. Bleeding these can be frustrating..

03HDFB

Reaction score
I went with a hydraulic clutch for my Tremec installed in a 71 Challenger....... Bleeding these can be frustrating..

Thanks for the note.....Ready to get on it!

03HDFB

Reaction score
Update.....Just about done....Waiting on the drive line from Hurst!!!

Well,
I finally got all the Husrt parts installed....Less the Drive Line.....which they should be making now!
I Finally got my Billet Remote Res for the clutch.....Hope to have that installed tonight. In all....the Hust kit
had all the items needed to do a very sweet conversion....Now the Customer service at Hurst's end truly sucked!
Even today....(2) phone calls and 3 emails to ask for the Diameter of the new drive line....so I can rework my exhaust
while I wait another week for it to show.....no one came thru with even an "I Don't know" So....I called the driveline shop
in Cali that will be building it...answer in less than a minute! Here's some Pics!
IMG_1369_zpsaf9ba7a2.jpg

IMG_1428_zpsac1c4ea2.jpg

IMG_1429_zpsa6100d63.jpg

IMG_1430_zps5877f927.jpg

IMG_1433_zpse28a1977.jpg

IMG_1438_zps5ce69f0a.jpg

03HDFB

Reaction score
Update......Clutch Remote Res in...Woorking Final Bleeding Op's!

Well,
Knocked out the remote res install...But ran out of time to bleed the clutch....Hope to do that tonight
as well as start putting the exhaust back together while I wait for the driveline. I'm getting way stoked
I can finally see the light.....and will soon be driving the car again!! I still have plenty to do once I get
the car back in my own garage!

IMG_1440_zps9840361a.jpg

IMG_1439_zpsa6aab92f.jpg

Racer57

Reaction score
I have the same bell housing. Since there isn't any hole in the bottom, I used a 5/16 bit and made one. Only reason was so that I would know if the rear engine seal was leaking.

03HDFB

Reaction score
Update....TREMEc Install Finished....Waiting On Drive Line From Hurst

Well,
The TREMEC Install is just about finished....the CAR is BACK on the Ground and We're reworking
the Exhaust from the headers back to the tail pipes. I should have it back on the Road this weekend....
testing all the Mods...TVS, Power Disk Brakes, 5 Speed Conversion and New Exhasut!! So Stoked!

IMG_1446_zps1ece337d.jpg

IMG_1447_zps9db9f75f.jpg

IMG_1448_zps369ee84e.jpg

IMG_1450_zpsd217d8dd.jpg

03HDFB

Reaction score
Awesome job Greg, go have some fun

Yeah....I Can't wait to get behind the wheel again!! I took the '08 out for a spin and knocked the winter dust off it....I've got the Bug Bad now!
Hope all is well with your build....this ones done till winter.....when I replace the glass and hope to put a sweet sepentine system on it!
G

Gribb

Reaction score
Looks awesome, the thing that impresses me most about you is, if its got a problem and they don't make a fix for it, you'll fab up something that will work.great job.

03HDFB

Reaction score
Looks awesome, the thing that impresses me most about you is, if its got a problem and they don't make a fix for it, you'll fab up something that will work.great job.

Thanks my Friend.....I hope to have it in my garage soon to do some little Items. I'll pull those hood hinges...and mail them your way soon!! Sorry for the wait!!

03HDFB

Reaction score
Update.....Headman Block Hungers a No Go...Installed TTI Shorty's

OK,
Finally....Just about done with the last go round of Mods...Been a long 5 months but I'm almost there.
So,,,,With the Pitch of the motor do to the TREMEC 5 Speed install....I wan't happy with the TTI Long Tube Headers.
They were a little low with the factory 4 speed....but now they were angled (Not Running Parallel to the Floor Pan) and
I only had 2" of ground clearance. So...I pulled the Long tubes and Tried a set of Headman Block Huggers... Nice headers...Fit was good,
the welds and Coating was perfect.....But they dumped right over the steering linkages.....Not Good...wasn't gona work for the e-body!!
Now I have some TTI Shorty's with polished coating......The Fit and Workmanship are great! All I have to do now is connect from the shorty's
to the ball flanges on my mufflers....The car will be back on the road thsi weekend....Fingers crossed!

IMG_1513_zps2f708c12.jpg

IMG_1511_zps2e3f5ec5.jpg

IMG_1510_zps08f8aa4e.jpg

IMG_1509_zps14956dc6.jpg

IMG_1508_zpsa7cf4416.jpg

When I get Done Reworking the Stub Tubes....they will be within 1" of the Exhaust Ports in the Tranny
Cross Member shown here...Right now...The stibs are just hanging!

IMG_1512_zps3daeb81e.jpg

03HDFB

Reaction score
Update....New Exhaust Plumming Done!

OK,
Finally found a little time to rework the exhaust plumming.
I took these shots lastnight....Before I finished the H Pipe
Install just past the tranny. I'm pretty happy with the ground clearance
as well as ease to remove to have everything coated. Installed some
02 bungs for next years Injection work.

IMG_1530_zps5cfd75f2.jpg

IMG_1531_zps3b5619f6.jpg

IMG_1532_zps4c2b108e.jpg

IMG_1533_zps6438d6de.jpg

IMG_1535_zpscb3206e1.jpg

IMG_1536_zps305ae838.jpg

IMG_1537_zpsac12b3cc.jpg

Back