• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Painting order...fender wells coating...71C

Doc Corey

Reaction score
Car is overall primed, I am ready to start painting the inside and cutting in everything else. Wondering about the inner fender wells front and back ...what coating from the factory, and when was it applied in the painting process order? One other question: Were the cars of all colors primed with the same shade of primer?

20210808_210138.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
It's called VLP. very little paint. undercoating was on the under side of floor boards if it was ordered,fr usually the front frame rail area and apron. they applied it as if they didn't care. When I used a torpedo heater to remove the the factory undercoating sound deaden-er. There was no primer of any kind or paint.There was only bright metal. 1st 2 pictures show what I have seen for undercoating.3rd is what I decide what to do and top coat with KBS. It's you preference.

6716341_orig.jpg

026.JPG

20062012_2305.JPG

KBS DiamondFinish Clear Coat.jpg

Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score
I would spray the exterior last. Engine compartment, trunk, wheel Wells, and door jambs first (don’t forget the bottoms of the doors). This will keep you from dragging an air hose across a fender, drips, overspray, etc. after you spray those let them dry for a day and back mask the trunk and door openings, then you can leave the masking in place while you do multiple coats of single stage, base/clear, or whatever..

I don’t know if you are going to, but for others who read this, I highly recommend wet sanding the primer smooth with 500; it makes a big difference.

Doc Corey

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! So, the inside of the fender wells were painted car color, or left in primer/undercoating?

Steve340

Reaction score
On my car the colour top coat was applied then the sound deadener/undercoating at the factory.
The application of the undercoat was not that great.
I suggest you do it this way as the topcoat seals the metal - primer is porous and water will go through it.

Doc Corey

Reaction score
On my car the colour top coat was applied then the sound deadener/undercoating at the factory.
The application of the undercoat was not that great.
I suggest you do it this way as the topcoat seals the metal - primer is porous and water will go through it.
True, and I have to remember all these have EDP coating under my primer. I think I will just spray them with the yellow and then undercoat.

PlymDodGeorge

Reaction score
I bought our '70 Cuda new in Sept. 1970 when I had just turned 21. During the last 4 or 5 years I have begun removing the Ziebart undercoat a section at a time each winter and repainting the factory colour. The car was never winter driven, so the Ziebart was a huge mistake. I am sending these photos to show you the original paint under the coating. Sorry I don't remember what factory coating might have been under the Ziebart, but it wasn't much.

Attachments

• IMG_2225.JPG
    IMG_2225.JPG
    872.8 KB · Views: 165
  • L F Quarter Shock Tower.JPG
    L F Quarter Shock Tower.JPG
    535.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Left Floor Pan Mar 11, 2021.JPG
    Left Floor Pan Mar 11, 2021.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 176

Doc Corey

Reaction score
I bought our '70 Cuda new in Sept. 1970 when I had just turned 21. During the last 4 or 5 years I have begun removing the Ziebart undercoat a section at a time each winter and repainting the factory colour. The car was never winter driven, so the Ziebart was a huge mistake. I am sending these photos to show you the original paint under the coating. Sorry I don't remember what factory coating might have been under the Ziebart, but it wasn't much.
Thanks.

Rons340

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, if the car came from the factory with undercoating it will be listed on the fender tag. Of course it could have been applied at the dealership before delivery.

For me it's one of those personal preference things.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, if the car came from the factory with undercoating it will be listed on the fender tag. Of course it could have been applied at the dealership before delivery.

For me it's one of those personal preference things.
Yes,that's what I understand.Also on the window sticker and broadcast sheet. As mine is.

Ele115

Reaction score
Very Little Paint is right. As in they missed huge areas. Under the rear shelf. Inner quarters, often in the cowl and inner (medial) areas of the rockers etc etc. When you restore a MoPar, you are almost always upgrading the paint and corrosion resistance. There is a reason these things went to the junkyard when they were so young, and it wasn't the seats.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I documented areas that were undercoated on my A66 as I disassembled it.
(non factory undercoated car)
Front wheel well area
1642771288577.jpeg

Rear wheel well undercoated to frame rail (it was sprayed over the Y1 paint
1642771418150.jpeg

And floor underside; just some overspray from the car being painted; A Ele115 notes. "very little paint"
1642771499025.jpeg

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
I will undercoat the wheel well over the paint in the factory pattern. The wheel well was stripped to bare metal, rust encapsulater used, then epoxy primed (multiple coats), sealer, then sprayed in Y1
1642771878583.jpeg

Ele115

Reaction score
Wait 'til you get a Daytona or 500. Take the lead off and carefully get the rear window plug out and you'll see all the rust where they did some grinding and just said f***k it and put the plug in and slapped it together and painted it. Some got moisture into areas where there was bare metal. Others they actually at least used primer onto the areas they ground down. Like today's cars, they just intended them to last 4 or 5 years...not 60. It's kind of interesting taking old cars apart. Almost an autopsy.

Doc Corey

Reaction score
I don't think it's very likely that I will acquire a Daytona or Superbird any time soon.....lol....one can only hope

Back