• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear brakes locking

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
I have a 72 Challenger I purchased recently with stock style front disc and rear drum. When I hit the brakes hard, both rear brakes lock up before the front ones appear to be applying. Since the front brakes are supposed to provide the majority of braking power; any ideas why this would be happening?

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Missing / wrong / faulty proportioing valve , you may need an adjustable one to balance it properly .
I found the distribution block on the car was for drum brakes, so I replaced it with the disc/drum one. Same result. I would consider an adjustable prop valve but am squeamish about cutting/running new lines for it. Would a different master cylinder be better? Not sure what is currently on the car.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Have you pulled the rear drums and inspected the brakes yet ? Could have fluid/oil on lining, mis adjusted rear shoes, broken /faulty brake parts ...
Yes I have, and are all in good shape. In fact, when I stomp on the brakes both rear wheels lock up together perfectly.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Another consideration is the brake warning light. When I press on the brakes gently, the light does not come on. When I stomp hard, the brake light comes on until I let up on the pedal. Thinking the MC may be leaking internally.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Leaking lines or components can mimic master cylinder problems. Check the fluid level in the master cylinder first when any brake issues develop. If the reservoir is full, you're not experiencing an external leak. If your foot slowly sinks to the floor with normal pressure on the brake pedal, the master cylinder is leaking internally.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Nothing hard about installing a after market proportioning valve in the rear brake line. Having the rear brakes lock before the front always means the rear end is going to swing around! Not fun in heavy traffic!

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Ok need a picture of proportion valve meter block. let see what you have. Did you reset you brakes before bleeding? https://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/attachments/brake-valve-jpg.82222/
20231018_131728[1].jpg

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Leaking lines or components can mimic master cylinder problems. Check the fluid level in the master cylinder first when any brake issues develop. If the reservoir is full, you're not experiencing an external leak. If your foot slowly sinks to the floor with normal pressure on the brake pedal, the master cylinder is leaking internally.
No leaks & the master is full. Have not noticed the brake pedal sinking at all.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
72 I'm going say you don't have a front block with the reset. as in the picture I posted. 73 was a different proportioning valve as I remember. The master cylinder has to be the correct one too. The master cylinder has a residual valve that keep 5 to 7 psi in the rear system. if it is not working correctly the brakes will lock up. I am not saying that the proportioning valve is good or bad. It can be taken apart carefully and cleaned and inspected. If there ever was water in the system even a drop. the valve will not work right. Dot 3 will attracts moister . It might be just stuck! The are a few post on brake problems here. If I find them I will link it. Or others may jump in.

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Last edited:

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
72 I'm going say you don't have a front block with the rest. as in the picture I posted. 73 was a different proportioning valve as I remember. The master cylinder has to be the correct one too. The master cylinder has a residual valve that keep 5 to 7 psi in the rear system. if it is not working correctly the brakes will lock up. I am not saying that the proportioning valve is good or bad. It can be taken apart carefully and cleaned and inspected. If there ever was water in the system even a drop. the valve will not work right. Dot 3 will attract moister . It might be just stuck! The are a few post on brake problems here. If I find them I will link it. Or others may jump in.
Thanks. The original distribution block on the car and it was for a drum brake car, so thinking maybe the car came with drums. Dunno. I got this one just this week new from Dr Diff. I'm using DOT4 fluid also.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Being a new proportional valve I wouldn't think that would be the problem. but you never know. I would look at the master cylinder residual valves or pinched line.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Being a new proportional valve I wouldn't think that would be the problem. but you never know. I would look at the master cylinder residual valves or pinched line.
I ordered a different master cylinder. No idea what's on there now so now I'll know. Will report back after the changes are made.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Before you put the new master cylinder on. Try jacking the rear or front of the car up to get the master cylinder level. The mc is mounted at an angle. so air will be trapped at the front. Have someone push on the brake easy, to see if there are any bubbles. this might be the problem air trapped. That's why it is suggested to bench bleed the mc.

Last edited:
Back