• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

starting problems

mopar70

Reaction score
I replaced my ignition switch and I tested for power at the connector ccoming from the fuse box that connects to the ignition switch. There is no power at all coming from that connector. Only way my car starts is running a hot wire to the coil. It also has a push button start that's hot wired.

burdar

Reaction score
If you have no power at the steering column connector you need to look at the bulkhead connector. You must not be getting power through the bulkhead. Pull the connector apart from inside the engine comp and check for corroded/melted terminals.

mopar70

Reaction score
I got two red wires coming from a switch where the key goes is that the buzzer?

mopar70

Reaction score
Ok so the problem right now is the car cranks but won't fire. The engine guy put a wire to the coil from the battery only way it starts and its not proper. I'm thinking this guy messed up my whole electrical.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
you need the brown wire connected to the coil side of the ballast resistor to feed power to the coil while cranking

mopar70

Reaction score
I found that wire it was cut and taped off so I reconnected it to the coil and the car fires but you have to keep the key in starting position. I have a push button to crank the car but it won't get power to the coil unless I hold the key. Before I used to out the key in on position push button and it would run fine.

moparleo

Reaction score
Your wiring sounds like a cluster****. What is the condition of the rest of the harness? It should be returned to stock instead of patching the wiring here and there, How about a picture of the bulkhead connectors ?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
there are 2 wires brown & blue from the ballast resister brown is start blue is run both need to connect either to the ballast or the coil + terminal to run but it is not a good plan to run 12v straight to the coil long term

mopar70

Reaction score
I checked the blue it's got no power in it. Should I wire the blue one with another wire that gets 12v when car is in on position?

mopar70

Reaction score
Blue wire with white stripe has power at the firewall but when it comes towards the coil no power at all. This wire is connected to a wire that goes to the voltage regulator. Atleast I'm making progress and figured out why the car was such a mess.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The blue wire feeds the ballast , Voltage regulator & the alt field , it must have a break in the wire

mopar70

Reaction score
Yeah can I replace that whole wiring harness. It shows like .6 sometimes but I checked its getting power so that wire must be faulty.

mopar70

Reaction score
If the blue wire does not have power what else won't work. Already
Know it won't start but would it cause the battery not to charge as well.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Yes with no power to the blue wire the alternator field will not have power so the alternator cannot charge , I would also check the connector at the base of the column , the plug for the ign switch could be damaged there also .

Back