• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!

ECS

Reaction score
Over restored would be something on the order of all body gaps being even, something these cars never were new. Customized, would Be to alter the appearance so as to make it unique or different then the rest.

Here is the definition of "customize" which accurately describes what someone would do if they changed the (original) un-even body gaps, to be straight and even. That would be making the gaps "unique or different" from their original status.....not "restoring" them.

cus·tom·ize
ˈkəstəˌmīz/
verb
modify (something) to suit a particular individual or task.

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
You know, when you say that you have the before and after pictures of your restoration, it is actually in reverse. You don't really know exactly what the cars details were before your restoration since you started with the after condition and are putting it back to its before condition. You must admit, looking at your restored photos that especially a low cost car would never look that pristine. The parts would be scratched if painted or plated, or surface rust within days of production on bare metal parts like the drive shaft. Your car at the very most represents the condition of the car as it was leaving the production line. They didn't put plastic bags over the tires when assembling on the line. You should take more pictures after having the car sit on a lot for a few months. That would really be a truer representation of a restored car waiting to sell.

ECS

Reaction score
The parts would be scratched if painted or plated, or surface rust within days of production on bare metal parts like the drive shaft. Your car at the very most represents the condition of the car as it was leaving the production line. They didn't put plastic bags over the tires when assembling on the line. You should take more pictures after having the car sit on a lot for a few months. That would really be a truer representation of a restored car waiting to sell.

I certainly wouldn't know if the parts were scratched since I wasn't there when it was built. Those are hypotheticals that can never be proven one way or another. One thing is for sure! Bare metal components were not formed with rust on them! Oxidation had to have time to attack the bare metal parts.

For the record, we didn't want to restore a Vehicle that looked like it sat outside on the Dealership Lot. We wanted a Car that exemplified a Vehicle that just rolled off of the Assembly Line before it was exposed to moisture or environmental conditions. We didn't restore a car to look new, only to ruin the efforts we took to get it there.

Ray

Reaction score
Agenda no. Perception or opinion yes. There is a saying perception is reality.
Over restored while normally incorrect, is just a term like others in the industry people have coined. You would not use it in general conversation, but among people in the industry it denotes restored beyond original. Or just plain overdone.
It can cover many things aligning body gaps would be one. I don't care for the term myself but I understand it's intent.

Art restoration, historic building restoration. They all have wordage that would be in correct outside there world but are understood.

Judging by the pictures you do quality work. Not here to argue I'm done with this subject. Times yours.

Last edited:

ECS

Reaction score
History has always been re-written to make us feel better about our incorrect perceptions. Just curious, were you done with the subject matter before or after you typed your non-argumental response? (lol)

ECS

Reaction score
Below is a photo showing the stating point of the Challenger and a link to an article covering the finished vehicle. You can click on the pictures in the link/article to enlarge the photos.

01.jpg

Challenger - Starting Point of Restoration

http://www.moparaction.com/Article/PoP/PoP.html

ECS

Reaction score
Here are some that show the before & after appearance of the Valiant Paint. Also included some photos of the blackout treatment that we sprayed on the core support behind the grill.

Valiant_01.JPG

BEFORE

Valaint_02.JPG

AFTER

04.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

ECS

Reaction score
Regarding stamping and fonts, here are some of the "details" that had to reproduce during my restoration projects. We have the equipment (in house) to duplicate the stampings and detailing that went on many of the different NOS replacement components. We had to digitally recreate the artwork, burn metal plates and then use them with a pad printing machine to come up with the Factory stampings. Here are a few of those examples.

02a.JPG

BEFORE-ORIGINAL

02b.JPG

AFTER-NOS REPLACEMENT/RE-PLATED ENDS W/RE-STAMP LETTERING

03a.JPG

BEFORE-ORIGINAL

03b.jpg

AFTER-W/RE-STAMP LETTERING & NEW FABRICATED BAG

04a.jpg

BEFORE-ORIGINAL

04b.JPG

AFTER-W/RE-STAMP LETTERING

05b.jpg

BEFORE-AFTER

05a.jpg

ORIGINAL REGULATORS W/CHRYSLER BLUEPRINT

moparleo

Reaction score
You go through a lot of trouble to duplicate the letter stamping on the hose and then use a totally different crimp style on different styled ferrules. The fonts on the paper tag look to be narrower than the originals. You are showing how far you go to get the details, and then looks like you are only 90% there.

ECS

Reaction score
You go through a lot of trouble to duplicate the letter stamping on the hose and then use a totally different crimp style on different styled ferrules. The fonts on the paper tag look to be narrower than the originals. You are showing how far you go to get the details, and then looks like you are only 90% there.

If you read the notation below the picture you would see that the top hose is an original and the following photo is the NOS version that we had to use. I didn't change the crimps. They are NOS Chrysler original replacements. You can't go to Auto Zone to buy an Assembly Line original, so the only option was to use an original NOS service replacement. Assembly Line originals were nowhere to be found when restoring this car.

Regarding the Paper Tag, I did match the original in letter font, density, stroke, etc....... You will notice that the picture of the original is also 3 times the size of the photo showing the reproduction. I'm sure the lines appear thicker due to the larger photo. I no longer have the original because it was returned to the owner after I borrowed it to use as a format for the reproduction. I can assure you that they were the same when compared to each other. Also keep in mind that even the originals would have some variation in their font thickness. Ones printed 6 months apart would not have had "perfect" line thickness if they were shown side by side.

Last edited:

ECS

Reaction score
Steve Been and I restored the Cuda in 2004........

Below are pictures of my 1970 Cuda (underside) and the Stainless Steel System that I switched to in 2014. I use to have an NOS System that had the wrong dates and was a bit old looking for the OE Restoration. This is probably what the Exhaust System would have looked like when it was new from the Assembly Line. As you can see, there is no discerning difference in appearance between the Bare Metal and our Stainless version. I could re-enter in the OE Judging and doubt that anyone would notice the difference.

01-IMG_2847.jpg

02-IMG_2852.jpg

03-IMG_2899.jpg

04-IMG_2891.jpg

05-IMG_2890.jpg

06-IMG_2871.jpg

07-IMG_2895.jpg

08-IMG_2889.jpg

09-IMG_2868.jpg

10-IMG_2866.jpg

Back