• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What's the difference between a factory AC dash and non AC?

themechanic

Reaction score
I have a 70 Cuda with a non factory AC dash. Can I cut holes in my dash frame for AC vents?

rklein71

Reaction score
AC Dash

Attachments

• IMG_3878.JPG
    IMG_3878.JPG
    818.2 KB · Views: 185

moparleo

Reaction score
You can but then your problem is finding the vents and under dash ductwork. Not reproduced and expensive to buy used if you can find them. Put the feelers out to see if some one is doing the opposite of you and wants to sell a complete a/c dash setup.
Good luck.
Look in the 1970 Plymouth Service Manual for pictures.

fasjac

Reaction score
Really just vent openings, registers, control head, duct work, different heater box. I would think it would a bit difficult to cut the openings but, sure it can be done. As Leo said, look for one already set up for a/c. Can also consider vintage air system.
JMO
A/C is nice where I live but, don’t have it either.

themechanic

Reaction score
Sounds like it would be better to add AC via the aftermarket. Like, Vintage Air or Classic Auto Air.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
The area where the vents go are depressed a little for the bezels of the air vents. If you cut the vent holes your vents will stick out further than they are supposed to.
I have a complete a/c dash, dash frame and components. Would sell it. But not into shipping it as it is big.
I see your in ok. I have a few weekend trips planned for Walsh, Co. The bottom corner of the state. That's pretty close to okieville. I hit that border once in a while during hunts. Pm me if you are serious about buying a complete set up. Not easy to find. I'm not necessarily looking to sale, but if your close and your serious and your in need, I can come off the part.

themechanic

Reaction score
The area where the vents go are depressed a little for the bezels of the air vents. If you cut the vent holes your vents will stick out further than they are supposed to.
I have a complete a/c dash, dash frame and components. Would sell it. But not into shipping it as it is big.
I see your in ok. I have a few weekend trips planned for Walsh, Co. The bottom corner of the state. That's pretty close to okieville. I hit that border once in a while during hunts. Pm me if you are serious about buying a complete set up. Not easy to find. I'm not necessarily looking to sale, but if your close and your serious and your in need, I can come off the part.
I appreciate the offer but I think I'll go the aftermarket route.

BSG

Reaction score
I put the vintage a/c in mine looks and works great. It was a factory a/c car to begin with. sold the as new looking fully rebuilt factory box to a member he said by the time he got it only the actuators and evap were of any value. I thought I did a pretty good job of boxing it up?

themechanic

Reaction score
After reading the replies again and taking my factory heat only dash pad off the frame it looks like the frames are all the same with holes for vents. It's the dash pad that has the holes for the AC vents or not.

I'm going to paint the dash frame, buy a AC dash pad and an aftermarket AC system.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

themechanic

Reaction score
After speaking to Vintage Air and Classic Auto Air sales this morning I've decided to buy the Vintage Air kit. The number one reason is Classic Auto Air still uses cable controls for E Bodies but Vintage Air uses all electric servos.

As for the dash pad, I'm buying a non AC pad and installing the center and passenger vents under dash.

I had thought I could just buy a AC pad and install aftermarket vents in it. Wrong! The aftermarket vents go into holes you cut for the center and passenger side vent. I don't like the idea of cutting the new, expensive pad just to move the vents 6 or 8 inches higher for the passenger. The AC pads require reusing or sourcing a good used set of original vents.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The Vintage Air system works better with their under dash vents. Its miserable to get the system to work with factory vents.

themechanic

Reaction score
Vintage Air support said that they need to know all the specifics of each car before selling a kit and recommend ordering by telephone so they can help walk me through the options.

For example, I was asked which intake manifold I have and what size engine because it makes a difference which compressor bracket to by. The factory cast iron intake has a threaded boss near the #2 cylinder for one bracket to bolt to. I have a Weiand 7507 which does not have that boss. So, my situation calls for a different bracket.

themechanic

Reaction score
Both Vintage Air and Classic Auto Air systems are for heat only non-AC cars without dash vents.

The only dash pad I can find is for an AC car. So, can you guys show me how to mate up a factory AC center and passenger dash vent to an aftermarket system like Vintage Air? Tell me what I need to buy and how to rig it up.

@Cuda Hunter

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I've not installed the vintage air or classic auto air system so I'm afraid I would be of no help here.
But, maybe research someone else's install of these systems and figure where in the vent tube that you can cut a hole and mount the vintage air lines into the factory lines is what I would do.
I actually like the idea of keeping the original AC stuff and plumbing in a later AC version to the factory parts. Looks better, but works better also.

Please keep us posted with progress. Or start a thread on your work so the next guy, maybe me, can use it for reference. please.

themechanic

Reaction score
I've not installed the vintage air or classic auto air system so I'm afraid I would be of no help here.
But, maybe research someone else's install of these systems and figure where in the vent tube that you can cut a hole and mount the vintage air lines into the factory lines is what I would do.
I actually like the idea of keeping the original AC stuff and plumbing in a later AC version to the factory parts. Looks better, but works better also.

Please keep us posted with progress. Or start a thread on your work so the next guy, maybe me, can use it for reference. please.
I figured it out. I posted in a different thread. But I should start a thread once all the parts arrive, if I'm still around by then.

moparmarks

Reaction score
I've done both the Classic and the Vintage setups in E bodies and Vintage is the better setup. Doing a Vintage now in a 72. They have adapters to connect their flex hose to the factory a/c vents.

Attachments

• 20210115_123020.jpg
    20210115_123020.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 20220127_103157.jpg
    20220127_103157.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 107
Back