• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Where is Instrument Voltage Regulator 74 Cuda?

440 Smokin

Reaction score
I think I fried my IVR, both gas and temp gauge stopped working at the same time. I have poked my head under the dash and couldn't find it but am 6'2" and couldn't contort myself for a through search. Next step is to take the drivers seat out so I can lay down and get a good look. So any tips on where it is located would be appreciated.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Voltage limiter on a rally dash at the top behind your gas wt and op gauges. Pita to get at. I pulled it apart from the front

IRON MAN

Reaction score
Here is a picture of it:

Challg gauge wires.jpg

440 Smokin

Reaction score
Thanks for the good direction. Got the instrument cluster all pulled out and have the replacement limiter on order. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

IVR-1.jpg

IRV-2.jpg

IRON MAN

Reaction score
Moparleo, appreciate the article. It won't let me print it so I saved it in My Favorites.

got6pak

Reaction score
I found a real easy way to test the voltage limiter without taking anything out of the dash today. You can take a test light and ground one end and probe right below where your temperature gage wire attaches at the intake (leave the wire attached). If the light is flashing, the limiter is good. If the light stays on, limiter is bad. You can also use a meter and watch for the needle to move up and down if you don't have a test light. Worked like a charm on mine and it was flashing. Pretty cool.

IRON MAN

Reaction score
got6pak, Did you test the voltage limiter with the engine running or ignition switch in on position?

Last edited:

Lemon twist Cuda

Reaction score
My temperature gauge spikes as soon as I start the car, but after a minute or so it comes down. Not long then it goes back up again, so I tried this test with the light and the engine running. When the light is on the gauge spikes and when the light is off the gauge drops. But each cycle is about a minute long. I guess my instrument voltage regulator isn't working right.

Back