• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Window Sweep or Door Glass Weatherstrip

David Edwards

Reaction score
Original owner of a 70 Challenger. Have been doing interior restoration. Having a bad time installing the sweep onto the inner door panel. Tried soap and wax. The channel that attaches to the door will not slip over. Used a rubber mallet (I know bad idea) to get one on with poor results. Any suggestion.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Welcome pictures & more about the car are welcome .
Do you mean the vertical bar with the blue spring loaded parts or the clip in whiskers with the Chrome strip if so place the tonques in the rectangular hole then press down on strip it will snap into the holes & pull back against the door

David Edwards

Reaction score
Thanks for reply. A picture is worth a thousand word so here are mine. The chrome sweep can be removed fairly easily. It is getting a new one on the door panel is a problem. There must be a trick somewhere that I am not getting. When putting on the right panel I found it nearly impossible to get the sweep channel completely over the door panel upper edge. The right side panel one I would think I had it fully seated but couldn't. That is why I tried soap, then wax hoping it would slide on fully. After many failures I used a rubber mallet (gently at first) and the sweep would seat mostly. Used a super glue to seat one end. This should not have to be done this way. Missing something. Don't want to repeat this process. Any help greatly appreciated.

20191026_121609.jpg

20191026_121648.jpg

20191026_121725.jpg

20191026_121859.jpg

20191026_121920.jpg

AUSTA

Reaction score
Normally i slide them on from the front end first if they jam then push down on floor or gently tap on using rubber mallet hold leading edge down so it doesnt pop off.
I use the ones from Firestone collectables
DSC00556.JPG

DSC00554.JPG

David Edwards

Reaction score
Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction. I had originally tried pushing it on but could only go about 8 inches. I tried it again after I got your message with the same results. I got my rubber hammer back out and began tapping (I was very concerned because it was so long). I tapped on it and got it about 12 inches. Kept increasing the force of the tapping for about an hour to hour and a half and finally got it on and seated. First day of decent weather and replace the panel and new chrome. LOOKS AS GOOD AS THE DAY I BOUGHT IT NEW....................THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back