• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

wiring harness issues

daroldmac

Reaction score
Need some help guys.
I have a 74 cuda 360/727 slap.
I ordered the entire original matching wiring harness from classic industries.
supposed to be plug it direct.
and for the most part it really did.

my three issues and one is a stumper for me.

All lighting works and functions except for right passenger taillight and key light.

right passenger taillight works with lights on, parking lights on, and blinker on.
it does not work when the flashers are on or brake light flash. what could it be?

thanks guys!!
D

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
test the wire for power , if there is power it has to be a bad ground between the light socket & the housing or the housing to the body

daroldmac

Reaction score
good ground in trunk because left side functions properly, drivers side everything works, lights, blinker, hazards, brake light.
passenger side the light works, blinker, but not brake flash or hazards.

daroldmac

Reaction score
test the wire for power , if there is power it has to be a bad ground between the light socket & the housing or the housing to the body

power wire gets power, ground showing ground with probe. thats what is getting me, why would the passenger side blinker and light work, but it does not work on brake light flash and hazard flash. i'm still stumped. does the passenger side ground to body too? the taillight housing is plastic that the socket plugs into. but if you jiggle the ground wire in the socket the bulb will go on and off? so bad ground wire?

daroldmac

Reaction score
all other lights work and function properly. headlights, front parking and blinkers, fender parking and blinkers, all four side markers are good, all interior is good, dash good, map light good, trunk light good, radio light good. shifter and glove box good. the only other light not working is the key light that shines on the ignition lock.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
yes , you have confirmed the wire is getting power with the hazard switch on so it has to be between the wire bulb & ground , the bulb may have corrosion in the socket or the ground wire may have a break in it

daroldmac

Reaction score
yes , you have confirmed the wire is getting power with the hazard switch on so it has to be between the wire bulb & ground , the bulb may have corrosion in the socket or the ground wire may have a break in it

brand new wiring harness from classic industries, the entire car has the new harnesses. so no corrosion, will check that new ground wire though. could it possibly be where the connection is behind the kick panel? found a couple on the firewall that had popped out from not being locked in all the way.

THANK YOU MAN!!!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I was actally refering to corrosion in the light socket or between the socket & ground wire , clean everything

daroldmac

Reaction score
Yes, no, and maybe...haha.one problem is the socket and wires, even though it's a brand new harness. I got everything working by messing around with the socket and wires. Got the blinkers and flashers going, but the moment I pushed the brakes. Pow! Right back out it went. So I'm going to splice in a new socket and see if that fixes the problem, for the first time ever and after spending thousands with classic, they are giving me a little run around. So going to try and splice in a new socket and see if that fixes it. Any other ideas guys. For something that should be simple this has turned into quite a little gremlin.

Back