• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

'70 Vert - waited long enough...

Cuda416

Reaction score
Alright, after owning the car for 9 years as of this month, and moving it from place to place either on the garage floor, or out back annoying my neighbors and now finally into the barn/shop, I'm creating this thread in hopes it will keep me focused and motivated to get this thing underway and eventually on the road.

:thumbsup:

What I have...

1970 Barracuda vert (sadly not a "Cuda")

20200901_192235_cropped_resized.jpg

As far as I can tell, originally....

White top (power)
Yellow exterior
Black interior
Center console
318 2bbl
3 speed manual on the floor
8-3/4 rear (probably 3.23 but haven't checked)
Front sway bar (have te bar and LCA's have tabs)
Power steering

I have no fender tags, nor build sheets. Those are long gone as is the original motor.

What I have in parts that came with the car

3 speed manual
Inland shifter
Small block bell housing
All the vert "stuff"
Twin scoop, rally hood with pins
Original (but mangled core support)
New (to me) core support with 26" opening
Two fenders (need work but very fixable)

Parts I've procured since owning it.

New
U.S. Car tool core support brace
Dynacorn rear assembly
New torque boxes
AMD Quarter skins
AMD front floor
AMD tail light panel
AMD hinge pillars
AMD Upper Cowl
Transmission cross member
Inner fender panel "kits"

Used
3 speaker dash frame
Rally switch pod (also have the orignal non rally)
15x8 rally wheels for the back
18 spline E-Body A833
Wing with all hardware
71 challenger front clip (rails, firewall, hing pillars etc)
Hurst pistol grip shifter

Clearly you can see it's in rough shape. Last time it was registered before I got it in 2011, was 1978. After someone decided to run it into a pole or something, it sat in a one car garage in MN for 34 years, rotting away. Lots to replace, and fabricate. As much of a challenge as this will be, the worst part is the windshield frame. It flat out scares me to be honest but I know some pretty skilled people and I'm not afraid to try anything with this. It will be slow going to be sure.

The plan going forward is to build a body jig and measure everything. I'll start with the middle and make sure everything is good (rockers, cross member, pillars etc) then move "out", starting towards the rear, then tackling the front. I haven't decided when to tackle the windshield frame yet but it will be small sections at a time and only after building reference gauges for all the contours and bracing the hell out of it.

It will be a lot of blood, sweat and tears, but they aint making any more of these things... sort of like land I guess.....

Here I go..... head first....

Last edited:

gzig5

Reaction score
Don't despair. Sounds like you have a good plan. Mine's in about the same boat, but i didn't realize it had so much hidden accident damage when I got it. I ended up having to replace passenger inner/outer rockers, complete A-piller, most of the upper cowl because they were very talented in hiding the carnage. At the same time I have done the full F&R floors and the Dynacorn rear assembly, which fit well and saved a bucket of time. Shipment from AMD is supposed to arrive tomorrow with roof skin, full quarters, tail panel, trunk drops, and 4spd hump. Best thing I can advise is to attack it in chew-able chunks and you'll get through it before you realize it.

Cuda416

Reaction score
Don't despair. Sounds like you have a good plan. Mine's in about the same boat, but i didn't realize it had so much hidden accident damage when I got it. I ended up having to replace passenger inner/outer rockers, complete A-piller, most of the upper cowl because they were very talented in hiding the carnage. At the same time I have done the full F&R floors and the Dynacorn rear assembly, which fit well and saved a bucket of time. Shipment from AMD is supposed to arrive tomorrow with roof skin, full quarters, tail panel, trunk drops, and 4spd hump. Best thing I can advise is to attack it in chew-able chunks and you'll get through it before you realize it.

Thanks, taking little bites is the name of the came. The closer I look at mine, the more I find as well but not because it was hidden, rather it's hard to see because all of the existing rust damage etc.

fasjac

Reaction score
That’s great that you’re saving it. I look forward to watching the progress. Love the verts. And the neighbors will be ok

desotoman

Reaction score
get it done here's my e body a blast to drive a e body drop top !!

my challenger.jpg

Cuda416

Reaction score
That’s great that you’re saving it. I look forward to watching the progress. Love the verts. And the neighbors will be ok

The neighbor can kiss my .... oh never mind :)

Adam

Reaction score
Nice project. What does the Dynacorn rear assembly consist of?

gzig5

Reaction score
Includes new gas tank straps and dual exhaust hangers and brackets too which are not cheap bought separately. You may need to salvage parking brake brackets, evap tank bracket depending on year so pay attention to that. It does have the rear seat mount brackets in place too. Pretty complete piece. I haven't decided if I'll move the rear shock access holes to the 73 position or not.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I have built several with the US Car Tool kit. It is well worth the $500. Your convertible already has the torque boxes. You mainly need the frame connectors since you have the core support brace.

Cuda416

Reaction score
Made some progress on my jig finally. The sides are tacked and waiting for some final parts/decisions before final burn.

Got the "cross beams" done. These will lay across the jig and allow for locating the "stand offs" wherever i want them to be.

IMG_20210705_182720_703.jpgcross-beams-end.jpgcross-beams-4.jpg20210728_174151.jpg

Westfort

Reaction score
I just did a convertible that was totally gone have to many pics here is one after I took if off of the frame table I made

Attachments

• 255547D2-0E0D-4A00-BF1C-7BD07D5B5856.jpeg
    255547D2-0E0D-4A00-BF1C-7BD07D5B5856.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 220
  • 9BF9D181-C4B4-4790-9B62-9CCF90582C7A.jpeg
    9BF9D181-C4B4-4790-9B62-9CCF90582C7A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 207
Back