• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

looking for my moms first car

cloneman315

Reaction score
My name is Brian I am from upstate Ny.
I am looking for a 74 challenger 318 that my grandfather bought for my mother new out of high school.I have the vin,original window sticker and a old pic when it was new and thats about it,any help or advice would be great!!
I was young when I saw it last,from what I can remember it was a 318 car,my dad did change the egnine I think. It was first white with a black vinyl top,then it was white with a flake green paint,then the last I knew it was hemi orange with solid black side stripes,the hood was not a shaker but had the two vents one in each side,it was in upstate ny last I knew,again I was maybe age 10 or so last time I saw it,I am 34 now.

jh23g4b378749 vin

burntorange70

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO! Good to have you here. Having the vin should be a big plus. Have you tryed contacting the DMV? May be worth a shot. Good luck on your search.

jeryst

Reaction score
Having the VIN will be a big help, but it will be truely like searching for a needle in a haystack, when you consider the odds.

First, I believe the rule of thumb, is that usually only about 10% of those cars still exist today. The majority of those survivors are not east coast cars. If it did survive, since it was a 318 car, its likely that it was cloned into something else because no one want to spend big bucks restoring a 318 car. Sad, but true. There is a very slim chance that it is still sitting in someones garage somewhere. Also, these cars have been shipped all over the world so that is another factor to consider.

Dont want to sound negative, but I dont want you to get your hopes up either. Just keep looking, and maybe you will turn something up, as I have seen stranger things happen. One thing on your side, is that it went through several owners, so it might have been kept in good condition, and escaped the crusher and the rust fairy.

If you havent already, you should also try CUDA-CHALLENGER.COM, DODGECHARGER.COM, FORABODIESONLY.COM, FORBBODIESONLY.COM, MOPARTS.COM, RACINGJUNK.COM, and any other car related site you can join.

Many times, people own multiple cars, and they may prefer to frequent one site over the others, so every bit of exposure you can get will help.

Welcome to the site and good luck.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
What town ? I'm upstate (near Glens Falls) but some consider north of NYC upstate.

cloneman315

Reaction score
I now live in charlotte but this was in utica,last time I saw it I was about 10 and it was leaving the driveway as my dad sold it... I honeslty thought with the net etc it would be way easier than this lol,guess I was wrong

jeryst

Reaction score
I now live in charlotte but this was in utica,last time I saw it I was about 10 and it was leaving the driveway as my dad sold it... I honeslty thought with the net etc it would be way easier than this lol,guess I was wrong

Even with the net, you are still at the mercy of those who use it. Of the millions of people on the net, only a tiny fraction are on this site. And of all those who read your post, and own 74 Challengers, how many of them ran out and checked their VIN number? Probably not many. And even if someone finds out that they own your car, they may have no interest in selling it, or, because it means something special to you, they may demand top dollar from you for that reason.

cloneman315

Reaction score
Ttt still looking with no luck... I was hoping the vin would bring up some kind of a trail or info but nothing...

cloneman315

Reaction score
Some good news possibly! Found out today car may be green and in the area south of Albany ny and was recently registered.

car has few things behind back seat a old dodge color changing sticker from the 70s. Possibly purple paint under there.
And a gene simmons sticker that was behind the emergency brake light.y dad said he upgraded the dash with vents and the updated cluster TA style I believe!

340challconvert

Reaction score
Wow clone man, looks like your perseverance may have paid off in finding your mom’s car.
You have to check it out! :steering:Best of luck.

cloneman315

Reaction score
Guys yes but I still don’t know exactly the location or if it’s true. Good source from dmv confirmed vin was just registered. Anyone around the area of Albany to nyc know anyone with a green 74 let me know...

340challconvert

Reaction score
cloneman
If you have a police officer as a close friend or acquaintance; he/she could run the VIN for you. Just a thought?

Dino2 (2).gif

cloneman315

Reaction score
Guys yes but I still don’t know exactly the location or if it’s true. Good source from dmv confirmed vin was just registered. Anyone around the area of Albany to nyc know anyone with a green 74 let me know...

cloneman315

Reaction score
Guys found the car!!!! All confirmed it’s alive and well. 2 hours away and heading there in the am to see it with dad!!!’

cloneman315

Reaction score

Back