• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Cuda Convertible (Non-Power to Power)

SteveLTCuda

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I have visited the site many times and always found it helpful especially with the expertise of the members. So here goes, I would like to know how involved it is to convert from a non powered top to a powered convertible top. I am seeing that Pump/Motors, Lift cylinders, hoses and dash switch are available. But what about mounting hardware and wiring harnesses? Are there any assembly drawings available to determine parts needed and how they assemble? Appreciate any help that's out there! Steve G.

pschlosser

Reaction score
I know someone who did this for their 1970 Plymouth Barracuda 318 back in the late 1980s and even then all the correct OEM parts, mounting hardware, screws, wiring, hoses, etc were pretty hard to find. If you want it to look original, it will take some effort to research and find all the parts.

I would not know where to start for a non-original setup.

The bottom line, don't be in a hurry on this one. ;)

pschlosser

Reaction score
On second thought, the fastest way I can think to get this done is to buy another (power top) convertible car same year as your other manual top, and swap all the top parts, then sell the other car.

Once either (power or manny) top is removed from a convertible, the value of that convertible goes downhill real fast.

Finoke

Reaction score
The harness from the switch and 30 amp fuses are available New from classic industries. I have pictures if needed. I bought a used e body convertible body harness that omits the dome light but gives you the courtesy lights and wire to the motor. Only because mine was missing. A non power top car may already have the same harness. I’m not sure.

Finoke

Reaction score
Here is the harness from the switch that gets you to the body harness. The larger connection on the left goes to the switch. The two bottom wires go to the 30 amp breaker At the fuse box. The top red wire goes on top of the red wire that goes to the alternator gauge. The connection on the right goes to the body harness that goes to the motor.

A762FC43-CA53-4382-999C-D7209AC291E0.jpeg

SteveLTCuda

Reaction score
Hello, I just got a 1970 Cuda convertible needing total assembly. I was thinking of doing the same thing to my non- power top to a power top. Is this wiring harness available somewhere? I have seen that you can get the lift cylinders, hoses, motor/pump and the switch. But I'm worried about the hard points and mounting hardware. Are these available somewhere? Thank you, SM

EW1BH27

Reaction score
If buying a used top frame make sure all the parts are there. If you already have a manual top the plates (1) should be there but I'm not sure if the hydraulic cylinder mounting brackets (2) are there.

Top Frame Parts.png

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Id be curious to know if your manual frame has those studs for item 2. Maybe even take a picture of that area so I can add it to my library.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Yes. I believe so. This eBay ad has some good pictures.
Those 4 bushings don't look like the 2 for the cylinder's plunger though. Looks like you might need those. Sorry, but along with that eBay listing, I'm doing this all from memory too. I can tell you for sure that you don't nee any other brackets.

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

SteveLTCuda

Reaction score
You are probably right on the bushings, I think they fit the manual top assist cylinders. I just realized you asked for a Pic of my frame, I'll get that for you next time up to the garage. The frame does have the studs, 2 per side, on threaded and one not..

EW1BH27

Reaction score
That's correct. I just found another picture from my car that I posted on e-bodies. You still need the "pin" and the "clip" that holds the plunger part to the frame.

003b.jpg

SteveLTCuda

Reaction score
That's correct. I just found another picture from my car that I posted on e-bodies. You still need the "pin" and the "clip" that holds the plunger part to the frame.

View attachment 108848
Great picture that helps a lot. The pin and clip doesn't seem to hard to get and if needed I could get them made. Here is a picture of my top without the two stud brackets... thanks

20230702_135504.jpg

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Looks identical to a power top frame. Don’t know what I was expecting, wouldn’t make sense to have 2 different frames. Thanks, now when anyone asks are power & manual frames the same I can say ”yes” with 100% certainty.

“manual top assist cylinders”, I‘ve never seen those but I’ve never owned a manual top ‘vert.

SteveLTCuda

Reaction score
Looks identical to a power top frame. Don’t know what I was expecting, wouldn’t make sense to have 2 different frames. Thanks, now when anyone asks are power & manual frames the same I can say ”yes” with 100% certainty.

“manual top assist cylinders”, I‘ve never seen those but I’ve never owned a manual top ‘vert.
I'll send you pics of the two I have. You and I will then have a complete picture of things. I checked and it looks like Classic industries has all of the lift parts (new).

SteveLTCuda

Reaction score
I'll send you pics of the two I have. You and I will then have a complete picture of things. I checked and it looks like Classic industries has all of the lift parts (new).
Sure glad I went up to photo those cylinders, they had the pins and clips in them. I think they are the same one used in the power cylinders?
Here are the pics of the assist cylinders, they remind me of what you would find on a screen door.
Really appreciate your help. Steve

20230702_185336.jpg

20230702_185343.jpg

20230702_185356.jpg

20230702_185409.jpg

20230702_190010.jpg

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Sorry Steve, I just re-read that eBay ad, those are manual cylinders, no inlet/outlet for hydraulic lines - like your "assist" ones. Btw, you're very welcome. This has been fun for me. John

A lot of people get their hydraulic parts from Hydro-E-Lectric

Last edited:

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Here's an interesting thread on the wiring. Hope you have that 30A circuit breaker, I think they're hard to come by.

Back