• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Cuda Rebirth

burnt tan

Reaction score
My Mopar E Body is a 1970 340 'Cuda 4 speed pistol grip. I have owned the car since 1976 when I bought it at 17. It has not run in almost 20 years, going to try and get it running soon. I am going to drain and change all the fluids, install new plug wires, convert front drums to old parts car Kelsey Hayes floating caliper disc units. My question is: I ran the car for a couple thousand miles that 20 years ago with rocker arms installed wrong, switched right to left. "Ticking" tipped me off, oil holes in wrong locations. The car did run OK when I corrected my mistake. But is it likely I permanently damaged the valve train and rocker assemblies?

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Welcome from Colorado! Sounds like an awesome car and it's super cool that you have had it since you were 17!
Got any pics you can add? vintage maybe?

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I'm sure someone on here will chime in with an expected damage report!

moparleo

Reaction score
:welcome: aboard. Crystal ball is down right now but if you could take some good close up pictures with the valve covers off, we can try to help.
All rubber parts should be replaced as well. All hoses, belts, fuel lines and filters, brake lines, wheel cylinders and Master ( I assume you are going the whole route with the brake upgrade).
Water pump and thermostat as well.(the pump will probably start to leak soon after running again).
After a long period of non use all the gaskets, seals, which hardened usually start to leak. Repack front bearings, rear axle bearings ( yes the tapered axle bearings are manually lubed)
Download the service manual if you don't have one. The front maintenance section will help guide you through the normal service items. The rest are in the other sections.
Service Manuals – MyMopar

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO from Panama .
Hard to guess if you damaged anything but likely not , 2000 miles is not much & it was still feeding oil , easy enough to inspect the rockers & shafts for abnormal wear .

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas. Like the others say....you will need to open it up to know for sure. Send some pics when you can.

moparker

Reaction score
I would say sincebthff e ticking stopped you are ok. If had continued after putting them on correctly then I would worry. Good luck

moparker

Reaction score
Check the oil closely for metal. Might want to cut open the old filter also.

Back