• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

340/360 Swap

72barracuda

Reaction score
My 340 block is cracked, thinking about building 360 stroker for the cubic inches. Does anyone know if all 360s have the same mount locations? Will any 360 drop in with no mods to mounts or transmission (727)?

BIGSHCLUNK

Reaction score
Small block to small block... check the converter. I dont remember if a 340 is external balance or internal. (some converters need the weights others dont)

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I agree , the coverter offset weight is unique to the 360 , otherwise it is a bolt in

Last edited:

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Just reading this thread and I have the same question. I will be pulling my 318 and dropping in a 360 I plan on re-using the 904 tranny I have already. Will I need to do any mods to my tranny? How can you tell if a motor is internally or externally balanced?

moparleo

Reaction score
If you can. Use all the mounting brackets and pulleys from the 360. There are slight differences from the 318. Motor mounts for the LA engines are divided into 2 groups. The 273 and 318 are the first group and the 340 and 360 are the other group. The left mount is different, the right mount is the same. However the 273-318 and 340 oil pans will interchange, but not the 360. If the 360 is from a truck and has a center sump, oil pan will need to be replaced. B&M makes a special flexplate for this swap. It compensates for external balancing. Part # 10239 for 904 and#10236 for 727.

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
the 318 is always internally balanced & the 360 is always external you will need the part Leo suggests . The left motor mount is different between the 318 & 340/360 also the 318 & 360 oil pans do not swap so if you need a pan it will have to be for a 360 to work .

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Thanks for the info very appreciated! I didn`t know about the mount or the flexplate. Crap I have a new oil pan for the 318 I never put on I was hoping it would fit the 360? I made sure it was for an e-body when I got it for the 318. I have heard of a place called Schumaker that should have mounts anyone have a link to them? I`m not sure on spelling. I want to avoid any headaches when I do the engine swap as I don`t want to tie up my friends garage waiting for parts we didn`t know we needed. So this is a big help to me!

Sorry to hijack this thread from the original poster too!

71solo2challenger

Reaction score
My 340 block is cracked, thinking about building 360 stroker for the cubic inches. Does anyone know if all 360s have the same mount locations? Will any 360 drop in with no mods to mounts or transmission (727)?

The mounts will be the same. The oil pans are different. As for the balance, if your 340 is an internally balanced motor, there will be no weights on the converter. If the 340 is a later externally balanced motor, there will be a weight on the converter. The 340 external balance is different than a 360 external balance.

Easiest way to deal with this is get a B&M flex plate for the 360's external balance and use a neutral balanced torque converter. (or knock the weight off a weighted converter: cut the tack welds, knock off weight, sand smooth)

If going with a stroker kit, check the balance on that. You will want to get an internally balanced kit. This way you can again use the neutral balance torque converter.

72barracuda

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, I am aware of the balance differences, I will pay close attention to the other things that are mentioned. Found a '75 model 360 block that I will work with.

Back