• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

340 rebuild

7NT3RT

Reaction score
Newbie here, I bought a 73 Challenger last week, body, interior, underneath all in real good shape.
However there is a light tick in the lower end, checked the upper end and seems to be fine.
It has 95,000 miles on the car, if I decide to have the engine rebuilt back to stock, is there any tips or advice that anyone would like to share?

3406pk

Reaction score
If you want to stay pure stock you will have good running engine but power will be lower because of low compression ratio 8.5. The 69-71 340 had 10.5 cr. If you want to upgrade a bit you can mill heads to raise cr to maybe 9.0 9.2 . Then a newer cam grind will help also.
I have a 72 Challenger 340 that is good running but power is down. It has 85k on original engine and oil pressure is a little low. It could use a refresh but doesn't use much oil and runs so good.

classiccarsplus

Reaction score
340 light tick sound bottom end

pull out the fuel pump and see if the arm is still tight. I've had Ford and MOPAR pumps start making bottom end ticking noises like this when the arms get sloppy.

Back