• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

392 conversion

Ratvon

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of a way to put a new 392 hemi in a a 1970 challenger without having to cut the transmission tunnel?
My car is pretty solid and I want to keep it that way!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The engine fits just fine so what you use for a trans determines cutting , if you use 727 , 518 or Any of the 833 variants including Passons OD or 855 od or the Tremec 600 no cutting is required .

Ratvon

Reaction score
The engine fits just fine so what you use for a trans determines cutting , if you use 727 , 518 or Any of the 833 variants including Passons OD or 855 od or the Tremec 600 no cutting is required .
The tremec 5 speed had shifting issues in the challenger I was in. Haven't heard of anyone making the 833 work because of the dual clutch discs

70chall440

Reaction score
There are a number of people using an 833 behind a G3 hemi, in fact I am getting ready to do just that. You cannot use the G3 flywheel, PP or clutch, you have to use stuff designed to work with the 833 which Brewers has.

Ratvon

Reaction score
There are a number of people using an 833 behind a G3 hemi, in fact I am getting ready to do just that. You cannot use the G3 flywheel, PP or clutch, you have to use stuff designed to work with the 833 which Brewers has.
Really? Well that's good to hear thanks!!

tonysrt

Reaction score
And of course Mopar is no help. They want us to use their engine, but they never realized how costly it would be to use one in an older car. I guess that's why new chevy's engines are put in everything. We have to depend on the aftermarket for almost everything to get the job done.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I agree Mopar will send parts that are unusable , the support is not good , they could be doing a far better job & the Hemis would be transplanted into a lot more vehicles .
The 833 or 833 OD or the Passon versions or the Passon 855 all bolt up , I know a few people running then this way , the clutch has to fit the flywheel & the disc has to match the trans spline , completely doable .

Ratvon

Reaction score
And of course Mopar is no help. They want us to use their engine, but they never realized how costly it would be to use one in an older car. I guess that's why new chevy's engines are put in everything. We have to depend on the aftermarket for almost everything to get the job done.
Ya no **** what's up with that? Really kinda pisses me off

70chall440

Reaction score
Its always been more expensive to build and run Mopar's. While I agree that Mopar could be more helpful but that is not their core business and in the grander scheme of things not all that profitable. Obviously they did develop the crate engines along with ECUs and harnesses so be grateful for that.

Hey if was easy everyone would do it. :)

tonysrt

Reaction score
If it wasn't so costly and difficult you would see more Gen 3 engines in our cars, not just Rams and Challengers.

70chall440

Reaction score
Well I don't think it is that difficult, the cost thing depends on how you do it and where you get your components. A buddy of mine just bought a running/driving 08 300C with a 5.7 for $2000; so that would provide most of what you would need for the conversion.

moparleo

Reaction score
Don't quite understand the complaint that it might take some work to put and engine designed for a truck in 2003, doesn't just drop into a car designed in the mid-sixties without any issues .
And as said before, this is not a high priority on the corporate side of things.
Look at the market. Gm built zillions of Camaros, Novas etc...Ford built more Mustangs in 65 than Mopar built E-bodies in 4 years combined. The aftermarket is the gauge of what is going to be profitable for the industry. Business 101 you need enough customers for your product to make it worth while to produce. High volume, lower pricing.
A lot more Fords and Chevy cars out there to make parts for.

70chall440

Reaction score
I think there is a argument that this is what makes Mopar attractive in the first place (on top of the super cool cars/drivetrains themselves). Could be worse, try being a Buick or Olds fan... sure you can use GM stiff in them so that makes life easier but if you want to stay true to the brand, I am told it is pretty difficult.

I think if it were easy it would be boring at least for me. I like the challenge personally, that is the essence of hot rodding.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I do spend a lot of money on my 71 Cuda because I put a crate 472 Hemi in it back in 2002, a Tremic 5 speed, a shaker hood and all the goodies for it and the Edelbrock proflow4 F.I.. It wasn't cheap to put it in with a hemi K frame, exhaust manifolds and exhaust system, the good thing it was stick to begin with and had a Dana 60 in it when I bought it. But we all know that the gen 2 is a might better than than the gen 3. I have an 05 Ram with the 5.7 and I love how reliable it has been for the past 16 years. Remember when the muscle car era began again, mid to late 80's mopar only had a 360 or a 318 to go fast with, of course unless you had a car with a B motor in it. And even with the gen 3 all the Challengers had the timing chain fiasco. So as much as I am a Mopar fanatic I won't ever pat them on the back to thank them for giving us a new motor, the only thing it helped was to sell so many Ram trucks with that motor. I have hemi orange running thru my veins. I forgot to mention my 2010 SRT Challenger pre timing chain problems.

moparleo

Reaction score
The muscle car era began in the eighties ??? Back up about 20 years there. The 5.7 was designed for the trucks and replaced the 88-03 Magnum series engines. You can buy 10 5.7 engines for the cost of a Gen 2 Hemi. Put your Gen 2 up against todays Gen 3 in an equal sized 426 c.i., Every engine ever made has had teething problems. Gen 2 Hemi's were not liked in there day. Everything was always better in the "good old days". But if you were there in those days, it wasn't as good as you think. Just like how much bigger your house you lived in when you were growing up was and if you visited as an adult. It sure looks small now.
I bet you wouldn't mind owning a Hellcat or Scat pack now,....would you ?? A truck engine in the beginning.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I said the muscle car era began again in the mid 80's. I had a brand new Road Runner in 68 and a 71 340 Duster new. So after they were sold off in the mid 80's I found my 71 Cuda so to me it was the second calling of the muscle car age again. If the Gen 3 was so good how come they haven't replaced the Gen 2 on the strip.

heminut

Reaction score
If the Gen 3 was so good how come they haven't replaced the Gen 2 on the strip.
So, are you building a strip car or a street car? BIG difference!

Also. the 426 hemi BASED engines have a huge performance parts availability based on 6 decades of racing. It's hard for a new kid on the block to compete with that.

Last edited:
Back