• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger RT/SE restoration started

tomps

Reaction score
Vinyl top installed.......

...the list is shrinking ever so slightly :icon_super:

photo1copy25_zpsf34a2b5f.jpg

photo2copy24_zps0fd4817e.jpg

photo3copy23_zpsdac484b5.jpg

Last edited:

tomps

Reaction score
The only credit I can take is picking and paying the upholstery shop :toothy12:

Very happy....the top was a Legendary Interiors piece. Fit and form look pretty good.

The color combo (original) will really pop I think once the white R/T stripe goes on which should be soon......final buffing of the paint next week I think.

tomps

Reaction score
Exhaust on, suspension done, disc brake conversion from SSBC bolted up nicely to existing spindles.

Closer everyday.....

photo4copy21_zpsebf3a59c.jpg

photo3copy24_zps8cb926da.jpg

photo1copy26_zpsd1fbe41c.jpg

photocopy93_zps1e76ae6a.jpg

photo4copy22_zpsd2eee8f5.jpg

photo2copy26_zps69186f24.jpg

photo1copy27_zpsfbc21c66.jpg

photo2copy27_zps8de1611c.jpg

tomps

Reaction score
Well we're out of the body shop and back to my garage for final assembly :toothy12:

Hopefully by summer. Got a complete new interior to do...full engine compartment to dress.....lots of trim...R/T stripe. Just need some warmer weather....

photo1copy29_zpsada6ae0d.jpg

photo2copy28_zps1dcd3781.jpg

Last edited:

quapman

Reaction score
Looks pretty awesome. I have the same color combo on my 70 U code R/T. Previous owner deleted the white top, but I'm thinking of putting one back on.

A few comments to your questions:

Whatever was "gooped" around your rear window plug was not factory. Those were screwed into place with no additional sealing. Some jute or ?? padding was put around the lower areas prior to top install and the only thing that sealed the whole mess was the vinyl itself.

The black you found near your windshield was probably factory. R/T's and T/A's got the top of the cowl blacked out, but I don't think that started until a couple months into production, so you might not find it on early cars.

How are your ceiling console and headliner? Rear finish panel? Belt moldings? I know these are the hard parts to find when you need them.

Did you have the original rear vinyl top moldings and the thin strip with all the holes in it? These are S.E. specific and are different from non S.E.'s.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
What is the thin strip with all the holes in it for? I have one off of an SE and do not know where it goes? Thanks.

quapman

Reaction score
Since the distance between the original large window opening is so close to the edge of the vinyl, it's supposed to hold the vinyl down to the deck panel. I probably have pics of an original, but they're so old, they're in a drawer somewhere, not in a computer. LOL

quapman

Reaction score
Found Some Pics!

Here are pics of an original S.E. I think the clips for the stainless moldings are wrong.

May2010 008.jpg

May2010 009.jpg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
OK. Now it makes sense. I took it off of a car so long ago I forgot where it went. I believe it is also why the SE has the wide rear moulding. It is to clear the strip. Thanks for the pics.

tomps

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. Not much new progress.....been a loooong cold winter, no room and no heat in the garage so work came to a stand still until today. Gutted the rest of the interior. All seats are already out for upholstery. Pulled the carpet, rear package tray, rear trunk divider. Floors look original and except for a couple of dents the body shop pounded out looks good....

photo1copy30_zpsbb622f3f.gif

I think the worse thing was trying to put on the SE emblem on the vinyl top......3 plus hours! I couldn't get my hands in that tight area and get the speed nut started. I gave up. Put the altenator on the engine and did some general cleaning. Going to paint/dye all the kick panels.

The headliner, ceiling console (everything works), sail panels, belts all in excellent believed to be original condition.

I have a question on the center console. On the back of the console behind the opening console door what am I missing here...

photo3copy28_zps8efa5f15.gif

Here's a close up.....

photo5copy17_zps90d5215e.gif

Trying to find a diagram or something. Is there an ash tray insert and door/cover I'm missing? It was like this when I bought the car.

-Mark

tomps

Reaction score
Ahhhh cool...thanks Leo. The 71 up were throwing me off I kept seeing ash tray inserts. One less thing.....for a change!

Back