• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

70 Challenger RT/SE restoration started

quapman

Reaction score
Correct Challenger S.E. emblems snap in with no speed nut. They have an upper alignment pin and a super-weird clip for the big hole. Once in, they're almost impossible to get back out without breaking the clip. You might be better off with a pair of 71 Charger S.E. emblems. They have a hole in the middle and an alignment pin. A flat phillips screw goes in the center. Same size at Challenger ones.

tomps

Reaction score
Been a loooong winter for everybody but the seats came back from upholstery today WOOHOO.

Got a surprise too. I have photocopies of the original broadcast sheet but not the original sheet itself. Somewhere along the lines of ownership change it got lost....but at least somebody was smart enough to copy it. Well, the upholstery guys found this between the burlap and foam...

photo1copy33_zps9d1c9874.gif

Well the excitment wore off as soon as I sat down look it over. Yup.....not my car. It is a 1970 Challenger R/T hardtop V code broadcast sheet but alas not mine. Anyone know if there's a way to see if this car is still out there? This belongs to that owner if it exists? JS23VOB......

Seats came out great though.......bought the kit from Legendary Interiors. Got dark and forgot to take pics of the front buckets.

photo3copy31_zps1086abd4.gif

photo4copy27_zpsd604602f.gif

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Posting the V code VIN will help. I have a V code that I would love to find the sheet for.

Last edited:

tomps

Reaction score
JS23V0B231057

The 1 is hard to make out do to a small hole but 99.9% sure it's a 1

I should probably do a separate post so so somebody sees ??

Wish I had more info......the guy I bought the car from owned it for 11 years and had stated interior was all original. It was not. Repro carpet and of course the seats. Would this have been under the passenger seat?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I have seen them in many places. I find them under the rear seat backs, under the seat, under the dash, and most commonly under the springs of the rear seat upper section.

Oddity360

Reaction score
This was an inspiring thread so far, Absolutely wicked progress! I enjoyed reading. That vinyl top looks crispy clean, Can't wait to see the stripes!!

tomps

Reaction score
More progress.......I'm guessing another month and might be able to turn the ignition key.

Restored the console myself.....quite a bit of work and came out decent

photo1copy35_zpse817ccb3.gif

Seats......"baked" them in the sun for a bit and the wrinkles are gone

photo1copy36_zps5faa6964.gif

photo2copy34_zpsfb48f445.gif

Engine bay is getting dressed....slowly....

photo2copy33_zps7357b961.gif

photo3copy32_zpsa5dde2c9.gif

photo4copy28_zps885ebee1.gif

photo5copy20_zpsf809a80b.gif

Been quite a project for me........never again lol!!

photo2copy35_zps2d949cc1.gif

photo1copy37_zps010165ca.gif

tomps

Reaction score
Thanks guys. And THANKS for all the answered questions/advice/input as I've steered my way throught this project so far.

Bogged down on new wiring harnesses but looks like I've just about got that all figured out.....just one more connection have to modify/add.........

Another month we'll have a finished car....I think. And as life changes oh so quickly as we all know, we may not be keeping this car and it may be putting up for sale.

Will continue to post progress as we're moving fast and furious now. This weekend should have the radiator in, heater hoses, hopefully wiring, finish the interior, tai llights etc. Saving the stripe kit for last!

tomps

Reaction score
Over the weekend got the rear end wrapped up and the stripes on. Did the stripes myself....came out pretty decent!

photocopy94_zps929d93ca.gif

photo1copy39_zps961c9222.gif

photo1copy38_zps2b87b8ca.gif

photo2copy37_zpsb9ba1528.gif

photo4copy30_zps882a4eb5.gif

photo3copy34_zps30218797.gif

photo4copy31_zps121f02ff.gif

Shooting for a Wednesday countdown to turning the key and see what happens lol

68bigblock

Reaction score
looks like your doing a great job, probably don't need it but good luck on Wednesday

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
Did you mean tomorrow Wednesday?
Nice build btw. Stripe looks good with your color scheme.

tomps

Reaction score
Did you mean tomorrow Wednesday?
Nice build btw. Stripe looks good with your color scheme.

I did.....but had a few last things to button up. So Thursday will be the day.

The stripe WAS perfect but has since developed a lot of air bubbles. Not sure if sitting in the sun will help.....weird just a few areas are effected. I thought I had it perfect but today noticed a lot of problems. Not happy with it oh well maybe I should have hired an expert. I've done some light decal work before so I'm not a rookie but something didn't quite go right.

moparlee

Reaction score
Excellent work! Beautiful looking car. Post up a video of your start up. Can't wait to hear it.

tomps

Reaction score
Well folks...it's a no run for today 4/24/14 sadly.

Turned the key....nothing. Didn't take long to realize I didn't connect the neutral safety connection to the tranny. Ok. Done. Then she cranked over wonderfully. Cranked and cranked until we got fuel to the carb. Check, but wouldn't start. Checked for spark. Good there. Coil good, spark at the plugs. turned the engine to TDC, checked all wiring with the firing order again. Check. Started playing with the distributor and finally was able to get it to start but not run/idle. Engine idle seemed to take off and race at one point but I shut it down. We got it to run for about 5-8 seconds but rough. Spitting fuel back out the top of the carb. Ran out of time today so it'll have to wait another day and try some more. I didn't think it would run today. Timing/fuel. I noticed the throttle linkage doesn't return all the way freely but that can be adjusted.

Some other time..............

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
Play it safe and start in again with a clear head and with the time so there is no rush.

Mike.

tomps

Reaction score
Well........things have gone from bad to worse. Had a mechanic friend of mine come over today for some more tinkering.

Managed to completely exploded BOTH mufflers. Blew 'em right up. Got it running but at idle 2500 rpm. Not sure if it's a choke issue (Edelbrock carb). He thought the vacuum was low (5 lbs.).

I give up......at this point I'm going to take it to somebody that can figure it out. Too frustrated at this point.

Back