• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 N96 340 4 spd cuda

340challconvert

Reaction score
Really cool that you found factory markings on the carrier
As I cleanup and rebuild my A66 front suspension, I found paint markings on the center link, ball joint/suspension bolts and the remnants of the organosol dip line on the LCA's. Can't wait to see if any markings remain on the carrier?
Dino2 (1).gif

76orangewagon

Reaction score
I'm hoping that there are some paint marks on the front suspension once I rebuild it, the rear carrier I added out of the AAR donor 27 years ago and its a 3.55 sure grip, the coded ratio should be a 3.23 sure grip so the paint daub colors are different. Here are a few more paint marks I found yesterday. I also found another part number located on the bottom side of the front header panel for anybody collecting details.
Thanks for looking.
002.JPG
005 (600x800).jpg
006 (600x800).jpg
008 (600x800).jpg
012 (800x600).jpg
100485.jpg
002 (800x600).jpg

76orangewagon

Reaction score
I decided to take my bumper brackets into work today and sand blast them before having them powder coated and after the first layer of overspray was removed I thought I saw some yellow letters. I removed the bracket before to much damage was done and snapped some pictures of the MADE IN CANADA paint stamp marking. I have been dealing with Sylvain at 71SG.com and he has the stamp I need to place them back on the bracket after powder coat. I love finding all these original marks. I also removed the heat shield from the intake manifold to clean out any junk and oil under there but it was very clean so I made another and slightly thicker shield out of 301 stainless steel and placed a piece of heat barrier material inside before reinstalling the new shield with some original style rivets I got from Bill Rolik.

012.JPG
001.JPG
002.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
010.JPG

quapman

Reaction score
The part # on the header panel indicates that the part was once NOS and had been replaced. I don't believe assembly line parts had stenciled numbers on them.

Cool stuff.

76orangewagon

Reaction score
The part # on the header panel indicates that the part was once NOS and had been replaced. I don't believe assembly line parts had stenciled numbers on them.

Cool stuff.
Thanks for that information.....I didn't realize that but now that you mentioned it that makes sense. I wonder if that means the right side headlight bracket was a NOS replacement also.

001.JPG

Last edited:

76orangewagon

Reaction score
Small update...Installed a Original Grille that came with the car, I had to fix a few real small cracks. I had the bumper brackets powder coated and reapplied the correct "MADE IN CANADA" stamp marks. I also refinished the marker lights. I know easy stuff, but its all I have for now.

I did discover that someone installed a early "B" body K frame in the car so I had to track down a correct K to eventually install.

004.JPG

007.JPG

007.JPG

76orangewagon

Reaction score
I was missing the Clutch Pedal Safety Switch so after tracking on down on the forums I had it sent directly to Jim, at JS restorations and had it completely rebuild. Here is the switch after restoration and the way he received it.
IMG_2590.JPG

IMG_1641.JPG

Last edited:

Canuck74

Reaction score
My car was ordered the same way yours was, I suspect it was a military ordered car, broadcast sheet shows the same 'I' for international and numbers in the top right corner that yours does. It has what I believe is a German serial plate under the hood as well. I started a thread a couple of years ago about it.
What is this Tag on Passenger Inner Fender? Serial Number?
Do you know for certain yours was a military ordered car?
You've got a very desirable car there, and it looks like your doing great work on it. Looking forward to seeing more.

76orangewagon

Reaction score
My car was ordered the same way yours was, I suspect it was a military ordered car, broadcast sheet shows the same 'I' for international and numbers in the top right corner that yours does. It has what I believe is a German serial plate under the hood as well. I started a thread a couple of years ago about it.
What is this Tag on Passenger Inner Fender? Serial Number?
Do you know for certain yours was a military ordered car?
You've got a very desirable car there, and it looks like your doing great work on it. Looking forward to seeing more.

I have been in touch with Dave Wise from MMC Detroit in regards to the codes and options, He informed that the 1 in the Dom. Public was the code for Military sales. The car deserves to put back as correct as possible in my opinion, I finally have a set of date coded 2944450 wheels that are scheduled to be delivered Monday (March 20). I'm having a real tough time deciding if the Vinyl top will go back on or not though.
450 (2).jpg
450 (4).jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
If your came with the vinyl top, go ahead and put it back on. Especially since you are do everything else correct down to date codes and paint markings. Your going to store this car inside and probably won't see much rain so the vinyl top will be just fine.

76orangewagon

Reaction score
If your came with the vinyl top, go ahead and put it back on. Especially since you are do everything else correct down to date codes and paint markings. Your going to store this car inside and probably won't see much rain so the vinyl top will be just fine.
Its not a concern over holding up to the elements, it's strictly a visual thing. Sort of like the look of dual painted racing mirrors over the correct manual single chrome one...another struggle I'm dealing with putting back on.

284_LHC71__48697_1437168070_1280_1280.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Is your plan to keep the car for yourself? If so leave the top off, it can always be installed in the future and I don't think an extra mirror would hurt anything. Car is looking fantastic!

76orangewagon

Reaction score
Is your plan to keep the car for yourself? If so leave the top off, it can always be installed in the future and I don't think an extra mirror would hurt anything. Car is looking fantastic!
I have said for years that If I ever had the chance to get the car back I would never sell it again. The problem with adding these components is having to drill holes in the body panels...too late to change your mind after that point without a lot of repainting.

Canuck74

Reaction score
That is interesting, thanks for the confirmation, I never considered contacting MMC.
I would put the vinyl top back on. Mine came with one and it is going back on. Aside from Chargers, I could probably count on one hand how many cars show up at Moparfest with a vinyl top. It's an oddity to see these days, and in my opinion looks great. It's a real throwback to how the cars actually were built.
As far as the mirrors go, I would say the same thing. A lot of these cars left the factory with one mirror, but everyone puts duals on in the restoration- for good reasons, but at the end of the day it's not correct if you are looking for a top- tier, factory fresh restoration.

76orangewagon

Reaction score
I've been doing some small but needed stuff on the 'Cuda the past couple weeks, I got the correct E body K frame powder coated, the closest percentage of gloss to factory was 75%... luckily he's a mopar guy and understood the importance of having the correct colors and shine. I also used the Tig welder and burned in the crappy factory welds and also reinforced all the seems. I managed to get the car all legal and had my specialty made plate put on the registration, I also found a guy on eBay selling side marker light nuts and they work perfectly for the few missing fender louvers studs, I heard they were hard to find so I bought 40 of them and will swap all them out when the real restoration starts.The car is anxiously waiting for the 450 wheels to get painted, I decided to upgrade to a set of the Goodyear Polyglas F60-15's, instead of the E60-15's. I know it's not the correct size ......but at least their the correct type of tires.

007.JPG
016.JPG
018.JPG
028.JPG
026.JPG
023.JPG

Back