• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 RT Restoration

moparlee

Reaction score
Kez, welcome back! So glad you are able to get back to working on your Challenger :thumbsup:.

Time sure does fly by. That '71 is a beauty.

Kez

Reaction score
Thanks! I know I will have plenty of questions for the forum - yesterday I was installing the upper control arms and ball joints. I don't have the tool to tighten those but I do have a large spanner wrench, so how do you torque those with a spanned wrench and should I use loctite on them? No info in the shop manuals to help....

Kez

Reaction score
Well, I have made some real progress on the car in the last month. The drive line is almost complete (needs drive shaft installed) and making progress on some of the other items now. Thought I would update some of the photos.

K-frame complete with engine and trans
1 engine and transmission installed on K-frame.JPG

Lifting car over K-frame - one foot at a time!
2 Lifting car over engine using engine hoist.JPG

It's in finally!
3 Engine and tranny installed.JPG

Tail Panel - I went ahead and installed lights and surround panel so they would not get damaged moving other parts around.

4 tail lights and surround installed.jpg

Kez

Reaction score
This car had a BOATLOAD of factory inspection markings - would LOVE to know what the Circle-J on the pumpkin was for - anyone know?

Here is the differential markings - old and new. I got a little big on the circle for the recreation, but overall pretty happy with it.
Original Pumpking Marking.jpg

New Pumpkin Marking.jpg

There were also two numbers stenciled onto the axle - I was able to send the photo shown to Stencil Stop (found them online) with the dimensions of the original numbers and they recreated the ragged edges from the factory where the paint bled under the stencil. I was very happy with the results. Anyone know what these numbers signify?
Original Axle Stencils.jpg

New Axle Stencils small.JPG

plymouth67

Reaction score
Just now seeing this thread. Nice job on your car...looks AWESOME!!! I shed some light on the spare tire situation. The only cars that came with the collapsible spare were cars that had 15" wheels.

Kez

Reaction score
Just now seeing this thread. Nice job on your car...looks AWESOME!!! I shed some light on the spare tire situation. The only cars that came with the collapsible spare were cars that had 15" wheels.
Thanks for the kudos and confirmation on the spare tire! I had pretty much come to the conclusion that my car had the full sized spare and you confirmed that.

Torsion Bars installed so car is finally sitting on 4 tires again.

Air Box installed today and starting to work on the wiring harnesses. One friend suggested I replace underhood wiring with new and can reuse interior looms - they look to be in good shape but will test to make sure. Have others done the same thing?

plymouth67

Reaction score
Thanks for the kudos and confirmation on the spare tire! I had pretty much come to the conclusion that my car had the full sized spare and you confirmed that.

Torsion Bars installed so car is finally sitting on 4 tires again.

Air Box installed today and starting to work on the wiring harnesses. One friend suggested I replace underhood wiring with new and can reuse interior looms - they look to be in good shape but will test to make sure. Have others done the same thing?
I would definitely suggest you replace the ignition switch as they cause all kinds of wierdness.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The socket for the ball joints is not expensive & is by far the best way to install them .
great job on restoring the car !

Kez

Reaction score
The socket for the ball joints is not expensive & is by far the best way to install them .
great job on restoring the car !
Thanks - I did find one through Summit and it did the trick, used some red locktight and snugged them right up to 125 ft-lbs without a problem - I was afraid of cross threading or having spalled threads stop progress before they were seated, but both went in smoothly.