• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 RT Restoration

moparlee

Reaction score
Kez, welcome back! So glad you are able to get back to working on your Challenger :thumbsup:.

Time sure does fly by. That '71 is a beauty.

Kez

Reaction score
Thanks! I know I will have plenty of questions for the forum - yesterday I was installing the upper control arms and ball joints. I don't have the tool to tighten those but I do have a large spanner wrench, so how do you torque those with a spanned wrench and should I use loctite on them? No info in the shop manuals to help....

Kez

Reaction score
Well, I have made some real progress on the car in the last month. The drive line is almost complete (needs drive shaft installed) and making progress on some of the other items now. Thought I would update some of the photos.

K-frame complete with engine and trans
1 engine and transmission installed on K-frame.JPG

Lifting car over K-frame - one foot at a time!
2 Lifting car over engine using engine hoist.JPG

It's in finally!
3 Engine and tranny installed.JPG

Tail Panel - I went ahead and installed lights and surround panel so they would not get damaged moving other parts around.

4 tail lights and surround installed.jpg

Kez

Reaction score
This car had a BOATLOAD of factory inspection markings - would LOVE to know what the Circle-J on the pumpkin was for - anyone know?

Here is the differential markings - old and new. I got a little big on the circle for the recreation, but overall pretty happy with it.
Original Pumpking Marking.jpg

New Pumpkin Marking.jpg

There were also two numbers stenciled onto the axle - I was able to send the photo shown to Stencil Stop (found them online) with the dimensions of the original numbers and they recreated the ragged edges from the factory where the paint bled under the stencil. I was very happy with the results. Anyone know what these numbers signify?
Original Axle Stencils.jpg

New Axle Stencils small.JPG

plymouth67

Reaction score
Just now seeing this thread. Nice job on your car...looks AWESOME!!! I shed some light on the spare tire situation. The only cars that came with the collapsible spare were cars that had 15" wheels.

Kez

Reaction score
Just now seeing this thread. Nice job on your car...looks AWESOME!!! I shed some light on the spare tire situation. The only cars that came with the collapsible spare were cars that had 15" wheels.
Thanks for the kudos and confirmation on the spare tire! I had pretty much come to the conclusion that my car had the full sized spare and you confirmed that.

Torsion Bars installed so car is finally sitting on 4 tires again.

Air Box installed today and starting to work on the wiring harnesses. One friend suggested I replace underhood wiring with new and can reuse interior looms - they look to be in good shape but will test to make sure. Have others done the same thing?

plymouth67

Reaction score
Thanks for the kudos and confirmation on the spare tire! I had pretty much come to the conclusion that my car had the full sized spare and you confirmed that.

Torsion Bars installed so car is finally sitting on 4 tires again.

Air Box installed today and starting to work on the wiring harnesses. One friend suggested I replace underhood wiring with new and can reuse interior looms - they look to be in good shape but will test to make sure. Have others done the same thing?
I would definitely suggest you replace the ignition switch as they cause all kinds of wierdness.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The socket for the ball joints is not expensive & is by far the best way to install them .
great job on restoring the car !

Kez

Reaction score
The socket for the ball joints is not expensive & is by far the best way to install them .
great job on restoring the car !
Thanks - I did find one through Summit and it did the trick, used some red locktight and snugged them right up to 125 ft-lbs without a problem - I was afraid of cross threading or having spalled threads stop progress before they were seated, but both went in smoothly.

Mark Selby

Reaction score
Nice work! I’m looking forward to seeing how to mount and the hardware used to install the wide chrome trim on the front..... I have an nos set to install on my 71 project and I have found no parts to install.....

Kez

Reaction score
Nice work! I’m looking forward to seeing how to mount and the hardware used to install the wide chrome trim on the front..... I have an nos set to install on my 71 project and I have found no parts to install.....
I finally got my parts together and installed them - took a couple of pictures for you. The hood trim piece simply bolts on - the leading edge bolts through the holes where the stock trim piece would bolt on, with small bolts installed from the back side. The trim piece also has studs along the rear edge that drop into holes drilled into the hood - these are cinched down with stamped nuts from underneath.

The two trim pieces on the front fenders mount differently. They do not have any screws along the front edge. Instead, you install the headlight surrounds like a stock vehicle - these include the front lip trim for the fender. There is a set of double-holes on the fender, three sets per side. Each set of holes consists of a square hole and a smaller pin-hole. You will need a set of 6 plastic inserts to install, each has a locator pin (like a trim badge) that goes into the smaller hole, and a square expansion peg that has to be tapped into the square hole. Once these 6 plastic pieces are tapped into place, the trim pieces can be installed. They essentially "cup" the headlight bezel on the leading edge, then you install 6 beveled screws through holes in the trim piece - these bolt through the square plastic pegs, expanding them outward to lock it all in place (like the plastic pegs you often see on screws for your license plate).

I have included a couple of pictures of the plastic pieces here and a snap of the finished install, let me know if you need other shots.

IMG_1971[1].JPG

IMG_1972[1].JPG

IMG_1973[1].JPG

Kez

Reaction score
Spent yesterday figuring out the giant jigsaw puzzle of how the alternator, water pump, PS pump and AC compressor and various bracket pieces go back together. So happy it is all back where it belongs and no extra pieces lying around. Still have not decided whether to leave the AC completely stock (rebuild compressor as needed) or use one of the retrofit kits to upgrade to a modern system. Don't think I will be using it a lot since we live in a very mild climate, so thinking of leaving it bone stock, since almost everything on this car is factory correct. Thoughts?

Kez

Reaction score
Next up - need to clean and repair the window regulators (including electric motors) and install them in the doors. I am finding out that the many pics I took of how those came apart may not be adequate to show how to easily reinstall them. If anyone knows of a good thread somewhere that steps you through that process, let me know!

Kez

Reaction score
It has been a long time since I last updated - lots of things going on that have taken my time away from the project. But as of today, I have the dashboard complete and installed, most of the wiring harness installed, and now working on the side windows. This is a great thread that is referred to by many and I used the info a lot when installing my door and quarter window glass: Cuda door and side window replacement in Body Shop over on e-bodies.org. Alan G provides a good sequence to getting things in the door and assembled, but I still don't relish the job! Still have to finish driver front door window but getting closer!
IMG_4007[1].JPG
IMG_4019[1].JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4008[1].JPG
    IMG_4008[1].JPG
    717.5 KB · Views: 36

nigeltufnel

Reaction score
Really awesome car! :thumbsup:Love EL5 and now I'm wishing I'd painted mine that way! Keep these updates coming

Kez

Reaction score
Thanks Nigel! Another member helped me with suggestions to get the door windows installed - and I was very happy to be done with that part! Now working on the carpets - I bought Legendary set and while they are similar to originals, the weight of the carpet is not as good as the originals - new ones have a plasticky feel to them and pile does not seem to be as deep. Also still looking for a local upholstery shop that can help me with the vinyl roof and headliner installation.
IMG_4019[1].JPG
IMG_4051[1].JPG

Back