• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

AAR buying guidance requested

JedIEG

Reaction score
To start I know I'm being very ambitious about thinking that I might beable to buy an AAR since I'm in college and lacking in the money department, however I have my sights on the car I have wanted for years.

So the story goes- my father owned this AAR for a fer years back before I was born and it was his dream car. My sister and I came along and my mother decided that my dad needed to get some money for our college savings- so the AAR was sold for a 6000 to a guy looking to swap my dads motor into his AAR for some reason. So life went on and the engine was never swapped so it is told and the guy decided that iroc turbos would be much more valuable than his aars... and so they sat out under his deck for twenty some years and here we are.
I want my dads old car back but I'm not too sure how to get it...
I don't know what a good offering price is for an aar that has been sitting out for twenty years probably has aweful rust problems and was modified and raced back in the day...
There is no way this car can become a perfect resto show car or even come close and I have no intention of that. I want it back before it rots into the ground. Advice please?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Open discussions , go talk to the guy & see what he would take or offer him a low amout to start & go from there . You won't know if you do not ask

moparleo

Reaction score
It is also a good idea to have someone knowledgable on Mopars to go with you. Have him help you inspect the car top to bottom. It might help in the negotations to have someone with you. You need to know exactly what you are getting yourself into. Easy to get burned nowadays. Good luck, go for it.

Moparparts

Reaction score
I agree with moparleo you should take someone with you to document the car. AAR's where even being cloned back in the day and it may have just had those stripes put on it back then. I have a Quarter secion on display here from a 340 4bbl Limelite 70 Cuda that i parted that had AAR stripes put on it back in the early 70's

challenger6pak

Reaction score
What everyone is saying is so true. Take a Mopar guy with you that knows how to bring a rust bucket back from the dead. I'm not saying this car is a rust bucket. A guy who knows how to do a rust bucket will know what it will take to do the AAR. He will know if it is a real AAR and he should know if it has been messed with; like a rebody etc.

JedIEG

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Ill post an uptade when I manage to talk to the guy.

74 challenger

Reaction score
take your time looking at the car.write down the vin #,dont be in a rush,look and look again at the car.you will be amazed at what you miss if you dont take your time.good luck

JedIEG

Reaction score
Well I finally got a chance to stop and look at the cars (yes there are two of them) and they are both in terrible shape. Floor pans rotted out, fenders busted in, Rust just waiting to pop out everywhere. To say the least its not in good shape. I feel like 5000 would be my top price on the car and he just isn't interested in selling. Its too bad. I wish I could rescue that car.

KATSAAR

Reaction score
some people become so brainwashed from watching BJ auction
and others telling them " you know what that cars worth when its done"
the owners arent sure really what to do ,so the car just sits.

C O D Y

Reaction score
Regardless of the finished value, it costs a lot to restore a car right to get big dollar. Not everyone that has an AAR or T/A is in a spot to restore it right now so maybe they are holding on until they have more funds.

Back