• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Air Gap Question

Aussie Challenger

Reaction score
I am just checking out what can and cannot be done, motor 360 with mild but strong street cruiser. I want to know has anybody adapted a Thermoquad or Q jet to the Air gap manifold as they are only drilled for the square bore, I know that the secondary barrels will have to opened up as well. I am not interested in holleys for a street motor.

Aussie Challenger

Reaction score
Yes I have heard of the adaptors but the secoundary holes in the manifold will have to be opened up so that there is a smooth flow of fuel/air mixture. Looking at the pic's of the manifold it looks like it may be possible to just re-drill the spread bore pattern and therefore I was hopeing to just bolt the carby straight on. As with most adaptors there is a miss alignment and sharp protrusions to cause excess turbulence, besides I would be experimenting with using spacers as well.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
you can also just remove some metal under the carb to clear the bigger secondaries , you will not have to remove much

Rob C

Reaction score
I don't think the TQ clears...or theres enuff metal there to allow this.

Aussie Challenger

Reaction score
you can also just remove some metal under the carb to clear the bigger secondaries , you will not have to remove much
This is what I thought but of course haven't had a manifold to check out, I didn't want to use an adaptor (square/spread bore) as they mess up flow.

rumblefish360 I don't think the TQ clears...or theres enuff metal there to allow this.

From your experience rumblefish360 is it just a matter of lifting the carby say 3/4" with a spacer after opening up the manifold as I will be using a spacer that is suitable for the spread bore so long as I can open up the manifold for a smooth flow.

Back