• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Antenna question

Sebastian

Reaction score
Hi,

i recently bought an original antenna kit from a member here.
Everything was fine - kind contact, great packaging and items like expected.

Unfortunately i have the problem that the antenna wont fit in my 70s Chall front fender.
It seems that either the threaded stud on the antennas body is too short or the mounting collar is too high/big?
In other words i cant fasten the capnut onto the antenna body because the thread wont bite in.

When not in on the fender everything fits nice together.

IMG_20180501_203017.jpg
IMG_20180501_203119.jpg
IMG_20180501_203137.jpg
IMG_20180501_203214.jpg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Post some pics so we can see what you have. It just may be 1 piece that is wrong.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The pics didn't show yesterday. Where are you mounting it on the car, front or rear fender? Is the hole drilled in the correct place?

Daves69

Reaction score
If it helps at all, one I have measures the same, so it's a set for "some" Mopar.
upload_2018-5-2_14-45-15.png

FWIW, My '69 looks like this from the behind the tire looking rearward with the splash shield off..........
upload_2018-5-2_14-49-53.png

It took some trial and error screwing around to get the nut to hook the threads as I recall.

Steve340

Reaction score
Is it going through a double skin of metal? The pic Daves69 has posted is very helpful and looks like 1 thickness of metal.
You could trim that support bracket down if all else fails.
Those pot metal threads need to go on a few threads they are not strong. I would lube that thread with anti-seize and not get carried away tightening it.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Interesting to see that you have a notch in the inner sheet where the antenna is located.
My collar clamps on two layers of sheet metall.
Heres a pic from under the fender.
You can see that someone someday drilled four holes through the fender to install a Ford Mustang antenna. That antenna is gone now.

IMG_20180502_220818.jpg

Sebastian

Reaction score
Is it going through a double skin of metal? The pic Daves69 has posted is very helpful and looks like 1 thickness of metal.
You could trim that support bracket down if all else fails.
Those pot metal threads need to go on a few threads they are not strong. I would lube that thread with anti-seize and not get carried away tightening it.

Just saw your comment. Yes i have to clamp through two layers of sheet metall.
If thats not correct i dont understand why my fender is that way.

Daves69

Reaction score
Maybe your application requires this style? From a 72 Bbody.........
upload_2018-5-2_16-39-50.png

upload_2018-5-2_16-40-11.png

CICPK

Reaction score
If it helps at all, one I have measures the same, so it's a set for "some" Mopar.
View attachment 49316

FWIW, My '69 looks like this from the behind the tire looking rearward with the splash shield off..........
View attachment 49317

It took some trial and error screwing around to get the nut to hook the threads as I recall.
I had the same problem with my 70 Challenger with the new after market antenna. Took a grinder to the half moon mounting brackets underneath the fender. Took off about 1/8 of an inch. Then mounted fine.

CICPK

Reaction score
View attachment 49316

View attachment 49317

View attachment 49316

View attachment 49317

CICPK

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 70 Challenger with the new after market antenna. Took a grinder to the half moon mounting brackets underneath the fender. Took off about 1/8 of an inch. Then mounted fine.

Daves69

Reaction score
CICPK
FYI, Your 1st reply IS showing up here if you're not seeing it for some reason.

Sebastian

Reaction score
I think i will grind off the base a little bit like CICPK did...
Still wondering whats wrong with my setup, i was sure it should fit.

Steve340

Reaction score
Maybe the fender is a repro or has had a repair in the past?
Probably the reason it had the Ford antenna. They made a mistake and could not fit the original antenna so they just fit anything to make it work and look OK.
Make the modification to the half moon thing is a good plan.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
I have repro fender and antenna I remember it being a chore too. But finally got it . Once it started screwed right in. Make sure to have a second set of hands

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Did the radio delete cars have an antenna hole? if not perhaps it is a radio delete car and someone drilled the hole in the wrong position.
My thought from the beginning. It is why I asked for pics.

Sebastian

Reaction score
The car has a radio option. To me the fender doesnt appear like a repop.
I dont know if the fender has been changed at one point - Maybe with a radio deleted one ...
Here is another pic showing the position of the hole.

IMG_20180503_180311.jpg

Back