• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Bad lifter

Reaction score
I have developed a bad lifter in my 340 A66 Challenger. The engine only has 10K on it. Should I do the entire cam or take a chance with just replacing the lifter.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It depends why the lifter went bad if the bottom looks OK & it just will not hold pressure then a new lifter should be fine . if there are any signs that the lifter is not rotating or wear on the bottom which you can check with a straight edge , then the cam probably caused the problem & I would replace everything .
It also depends what cam is in there & if it is worth putting a better cam such as a Lunati VooDoo

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Let me guess, Comp Cams….
1639282114592.jpeg

Reaction score
It depends why the lifter went bad if the bottom looks OK & it just will not hold pressure then a new lifter should be fine . if there are any signs that the lifter is not rotating or wear on the bottom which you can check with a straight edge , then the cam probably caused the problem & I would replace everything .
It also depends what cam is in there & if it is worth putting a better cam such as a Lunati VooDoo
Yes I wish I knew why it went bad, have not done a visual inspection yet but most people around here say to be safe replace both. It was the mopar cam p4452761.

Steve340

Reaction score
Assuming the lifter is correctly pre loaded.
There are lifter treatment oil additives you could try. Here we have one called Proma. I have used this stuff in older Mitsubishi engines and it worked. You need to put a new bottle in at each oil change though.
Failing that identify which lifter is playing up and pull off the intake and inspect the lifter. If the lobe and face are OK the lifter can be pulled apart and cleaned out and checked.
If it is bleeding down sometimes crud in the engine stops the little valve in the lifter from closing off properly.

Reaction score
Only 10 thousand miles on the engine. Is there a backstory to this engine you haven't told us ? How stock is it and how do you drive it ?
Yea, theres always a back story.lol. Had it rebuilt about 30 years ago and was bored 30 over. Shop did a bad job so had it done again and they had to do another 10 over. Right now it has 10k on the current build, dont drive it too much,

Reaction score
Yea, theres always a back story.lol. Had it rebuilt about 30 years ago and was bored 30 over. Shop did a bad job so had it done again and they had to do another 10 over. Right now it has 10k on the current build, dont drive it too much, rpm air gap manifold and the cam is about 3 over stock. Mopar p4452761. That's about it really.

i_taz

Reaction score
Could just be dirt... the first time I ever heard of BG products my mechanic throw a can in our 4 banger when it developed a hard tick...problem solved....

71droptop

Reaction score
That sucks because you start to question other things. My engine felt like it was running out of fuel. Checked the usual and found the fuel pump push rod was shorter than what it should have been.
A friend asked me if i cut open the oil filter to look for metal. Oh ****. Turns out the engine builder lied to me- never primed the oil pump.......... Other problems as well. Pulled the motor-started over.

Rons340

Reaction score
About three weeks ago I had a lifter collapse during break-in on a 340 CI engine. All Comp Cams valve train components. Pretty disappointing!

Back