• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Color coded grill on 1972 cuda

hsb shadow

Reaction score
I was wondering how rare or color-coded grills on 1972 cudas. My car apparently had a blue plastic grill which disintegrated into a million pieces. My replacement grill is an argent aftermarket grill

IMG_20231022_154614427.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Something I have seen

Grille

Barracuda - A paint that you can get over the counter that looks very close to original argent paint for these argent grilles is "Plasti-Kote PL-285 cast finish." This is different from the dark argent you get from most places. Please do understand that the barracuda grilles should be medium argent looking NOT light argent. Dave Wise describes in his manual (Finer Points of Mopar E Body) in 1970 the grille was medium argent and in 1971 it was a neutral argent with some being painted body color (71 'Cuda only). 71 'Cuda painted grilles were available in FJ6, GY3, FC7, GW3, EV2, GB5, GF7, GK6 and FE5. These grilles were standard on 'Cuda through build date 8/8/70. After this date the color keyed grilles were optional. 1971 Barracuda's did not have color keyed grilles. 1972-74 Barracuda center of headlight rings are painted flat black. The inside right/ left of the grille paint black and the outer perimeter is painted in reddish flat paint. The grille should be panted in argent silver. 1970-71 Challenger Non R/T and T/A grills are painted argent. The egg crate center is natural egg crate color not cast or black on all 1970 Challenger models. 1970-71 Challenger R/T and T/A outside portion of the grills are black. 1972-74 Challenger grilles headlight ring center section are chrome plated. The inside of the grille should be painted black for the rally model and argent for the base model. The outside edge should be painted argent silver. The lower grills were available in argent silver only but have been found in natural grey/silver.

hsb shadow

Reaction score
I believe you could get colored grills in 1972 as well. I don't think my grill is painted . I have the original pieces from my 72 cuda grill and it appears to be colored plastic. It did have the Chrome trim around it. I'm kind of glad now that I didn't throw those pieces away I'm away from home till tonight but I'll have to take a look at those pieces again to verify.

hsb shadow

Reaction score
Btw thanks for spell check grille. I usually just voice dictate and I'm not so good about checking spelling. LOL

larry4406

Reaction score

hsb shadow

Reaction score
So I just got home and had to look at the grills again and indeed they are painted. The back side is sort of that light gray plastic the same as the lower grill. There is no texture on this at all.

IMG_20231023_182444115.jpg

IMG_20231023_182459574.jpg

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
My 72 Cuda (B3, 340 car) had the grill painted in B3 when I got it. Unfortunately it was also wrecked in the front end and the majority of the grill was demolished. It was obvious it was not originally an argent color either. It was a beautiful color with the partially blacked out hood (which was also damaged beyond repair)...

hsb shadow

Reaction score
This car was not in an accident but was originally partially disassembled by the original owner in missouri. It was then bought off of eBay and shipped to New Jersey many years ago. It's sat partially disassembled till I picked it up 7 years ago and brought it back here. It's been a lot of fun with it being disassembled and the Folgers coffee cans full of Rusty hardware. LOL. It's kind of special since it was a special order car loaded with options and has a matching 340 drivetrain is a 340 ta motor from the factory

Back