• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Correct paint scheme process for 1973 Challenger Ralley?

MoparMoMoney

Reaction score
Ok MoPar Gurus. Here is a question for you. This car has no yellow paint in the engine bay, underside, or interior except doors. See it in the trunk on the hinges only. What is the real deal with this as I’ve see some did or didn’t even some sold these days like that.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Others know better than me, but I believe all the cars were dipped in a primer, then painted in booths and oven cured. the attention for paint was the exterior, under hood and trunk. most of the cabin interior is over spray except the doors and door jambs. Light colored cars have the front of the radiator blacked out. all the wheel wells had undercoating. Some cars had the complete under carriage coated in under coating.
No Chryslers had black engine bays unless they where black exterior.
Post some pictures. That will help the discussion a lot.

MoparMoMoney

Reaction score
That’s the best answer I’ve gotten yet. I’ll go in that direction then.
Huge thank you!

Xcudame

Reaction score
Knowing what we know now about oxidation (rust), and since no paint shows in the interior of an E-Body, I think I would "over restore" the car and paint everything as well as possible. Eastwood makes a paint to inhibit rust to be used inside the front and rear frame rails. Remember, they built these cars to last about 5 years. It's a testament they've lasted 50+ years and still cruising!

moparleo

Reaction score
Factory primer dip

FACTORY DIP PROCESS MOPAR.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Good info from Xcudeme. Here's an example of what not to do. I was just going to remove the factory undercoating and found bright shinny metal. SOOOO! I went a little above and beyond. This is how it should not look from the factory.

20062012_2305.JPG

20170908_191907.jpg

20210426_163745.jpg

20210427_101042.jpg

MoparMoMoney

Reaction score
This is what it probably would look like. Just a little over spray underneath.

View attachment 113666
Ok. Now I understand. The underneath of mine is all new floors and transition pan. Just wasn’t sure until now. I guess more is better but wanted an original look. However Frame rails have been tied so doesn’t really matter then. You guys rock.

Back