• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Finally going to paint shop!

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
I finally found an awesome painter to get the challenger painted. I was just gonna leave it in the autumn brown color but after I painted the engine bay and restoring the grill and rear tail panel I started thinking, actually envisioning it in black with the chartreuse stripes, I have to finish it. I ran out of time since the season is over for outside and I hate sanding plus the guy thats gonna paint it is a pro. He's done show cars, rotisserie, etc. Being black, the car needs blocked to perfection or it will show.
I've researched for challengers with tx9 and v6j stripe kit and have found none. Correct me if I'm wrong.
So I'm stoked!!!
I will post some pics when its done. Should be about February. I can wait a few more months for that.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Repainted the master cylinder and booster. Oem parts but still working.
Took most of the evenings during the summer to strip the engine bay. Lots of angles etc in there and once I started, it was hard to determine where to stop. I got the headlight buckets cleaned up and the outside of the rad support and stopped there.
Restored the grill and rear tail pc etc and bought new bumpers and a rear valance.
20200822_170502.jpg
Also got the stripe kit from challenger gary and its wild. I used a 3m color thats real close to the original. Its also flourescent. They don't reproduce the original color anymore. Only 1 company said they would color match but could have bought another car to have that done so it will have to do.

20201113_190236_HDR.jpg

20201118_173836.jpg

20200917_183435_HDR.jpg

20200913_084640.jpg

20200816_204355.jpg

20200919_172045.jpg

20200914_183950.jpg

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
Looks great. I am closing in on paint too....prob about 24 hours left of prep. What colors did you use on the grille for Black and Silver? - Todd J...BTW mine was brown as well....going lime green.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Looks great. I am closing in on paint too....prob about 24 hours left of prep. What colors did you use on the grille for Black and Silver? - Todd J...BTW mine was brown as well....going lime green.
I used dupli color matte black and cast aluminum for both. My grille is plastic tho.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
That's the most work I think I've ever seen done to a car man! You are relentless. It will pay it all back ( Well most of it) lol.. when you get to drive it again!
Mine was originally black but someone just repainted it brown. Guess they didn't like black. Never in an accident tho.

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
That's the most work I think I've ever seen done to a car man! You are relentless. It will pay it all back ( Well most of it) lol.. when you get to drive it again!
Mine was originally black but someone just repainted it brown. Guess they didn't like black. Never in an accident tho.
Mine was once fully restored with half quarters in the rear. Everything else "fairly" solid....has some frame spots on the unit body. I am on the short strokes.....

IMG_0529.JPG

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Well, the paint shop dissed me yesterday. I contacted this shop because they do meticulous work and take no short cuts when taking the steps for a quality paint shop. I actually worked there for a few months on a 65 c10 resto that my friend was having restored there and my job was electrical, motor, steering, 4wd conversion, and interior, as the owner of the shop was swamped and my buddy wanted his truck asap.
Anyways, I contacted him back in july about doing the challenger and he said that he would take it on in the fall. Then came fall and we talked again 2 weeks before Thanksgiving and he said after hunting season to bring it in. Yesterday, I called to arrange that and he now says late spring maybe.
I said, what the hell happened to our conversation 3 weeks ago and he said, he has too much to do and can't take it on till then.
This car is all original steel with a few dings here or there and no rust. Vinyl top in great shape so its not like its overwhelming to accomplish but black is not forgiving. Only 1 repaint in brown back in the 70s for some reason and there is no visible damage that any panel was ever hit.
So today, I'm gonna walk around with a serious attitude and decided to hone my skills once again and do it myself. I have always done all my cars body and paint but at 58 yrs young, knees are going and just wanted to pay for it and assemble the rest.
I have come to the assumption that I can no longer rely on peoples word and that motivates me to go thru the steps, 1 more time with a vengeance.
Unfortunately that won't happen till the winter is over now and blows my plans for my Demon next spring. Bad enough that I have to rent 2 garages to store my 7 mopars and cannot paint in them and my township has some stipulation that wont allow me to build 1 on my own property. I am about to just build 1 here and get a good lawyer.
Thanks to all who have allowed me to vent! Locked down is 1 thing but no one is gonna stop me from doing what I love. Mopar Rules!

CNUMB

Reaction score
Sad to hear about your paint guy... But after reading the above I think you will do a great job on your own.. I will be kicking that around when I start mine in a couple years, be 63 then, but like you, hard to trust anyone...Looking forward to your finished job!! I am also thinking about painting my 71 Black to match my other car...
BTW here is a pic of a modern challenger in Pitch Black with the color stripes you are looking for.. My 2018RT.. The stripes were made by my wrap guy. I sent him pictures of a 71 Rt stripe package, He did a hell of a job..

car wash time 3.jpg

car wash time 2.jpg

car wash time.jpg

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Sad to hear about your paint guy... But after reading the above I think you will do a great job on your own.. I will be kicking that around when I start mine in a couple years, be 63 then, but like you, hard to trust anyone...Looking forward to your finished job!! I am also thinking about painting my 71 Black to match my other car...
BTW here is a pic of a modern challenger in Pitch Black with the color stripes you are looking for.. My 2018RT.. The stripes were made by my wrap guy. I sent him pictures of a 71 Rt stripe package, He did a hell of a job..

View attachment 78124

View attachment 78125

View attachment 78126
Awesome. Are the stripes flourescent? I ordered mine that way from a guy on this site and they turned out great. My 71 originally came with that stripe. That's why I wanted to go back to it. Someone painted it autumn bronze in the early 70s and Only thing that I can figure is the original combo was too much bling back then. I will be posting my progress and hope you do as well.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Merlin
Sorry the painting situation went south and not being able to do certain tasks on your own property is definitely a pain.
Looking forward; I contemplate either setting up a temporary plastic booth in my yard (have plans for creation of temporary paint booth) or see if I can rent a paint booth (may be on a Sunday when they are closed) at a local Maaco, using my own paint guns. Never painted a full car before, but at the cost of a professional job, I am thinking about what my options might be? I am better at the mechanics then body work, but I have seen a friend have good results painting his own car in a garage with plastic wall barriers. Just my thoughts.
Good luck with your painting plans.

1608303179595.png

CNUMB

Reaction score
Awesome. Are the stripes flourescent? I ordered mine that way from a guy on this site and they turned out great. My 71 originally came with that stripe. That's why I wanted to go back to it. Someone painted it autumn bronze in the early 70s and Only thing that I can figure is the original combo was too much bling back then. I will be posting my progress and hope you do as well.
They are bright, get alot of compliments at car shows.. 3M 2080-G16 Gloss Light Green

Car Stripe 3M  2080-G16.jpg

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
Well, the paint shop dissed me yesterday. I contacted this shop because they do meticulous work and take no short cuts when taking the steps for a quality paint shop. I actually worked there for a few months on a 65 c10 resto that my friend was having restored there and my job was electrical, motor, steering, 4wd conversion, and interior, as the owner of the shop was swamped and my buddy wanted his truck asap.
Anyways, I contacted him back in july about doing the challenger and he said that he would take it on in the fall. Then came fall and we talked again 2 weeks before Thanksgiving and he said after hunting season to bring it in. Yesterday, I called to arrange that and he now says late spring maybe.
I said, what the hell happened to our conversation 3 weeks ago and he said, he has too much to do and can't take it on till then.
This car is all original steel with a few dings here or there and no rust. Vinyl top in great shape so its not like its overwhelming to accomplish but black is not forgiving. Only 1 repaint in brown back in the 70s for some reason and there is no visible damage that any panel was ever hit.
So today, I'm gonna walk around with a serious attitude and decided to hone my skills once again and do it myself. I have always done all my cars body and paint but at 58 yrs young, knees are going and just wanted to pay for it and assemble the rest.
I have come to the assumption that I can no longer rely on peoples word and that motivates me to go thru the steps, 1 more time with a vengeance.
Unfortunately that won't happen till the winter is over now and blows my plans for my Demon next spring. Bad enough that I have to rent 2 garages to store my 7 mopars and cannot paint in them and my township has some stipulation that wont allow me to build 1 on my own property. I am about to just build 1 here and get a good lawyer.
Thanks to all who have allowed me to vent! Locked down is 1 thing but no one is gonna stop me from doing what I love. Mopar Rules!
No bueno dude....I am right behind you at 54...and you get to the point where do you want to pay for it to be done or put more muscle into it. I had my doors media blasted....100 each door....saved me hours and a sore back!

Torqueflite

Reaction score
I feel your pain, I'm 65 and been doing bodywork most of my life. Had a knee replaced, Hernia surgery, ect... thinking after I get this AAR done I'll get a job at mcdonalds or something. lol Keep after the challenger, just slow and steady, you got this.

CNUMB

Reaction score
I feel your pain, I'm 65 and been doing bodywork most of my life. Had a knee replaced, Hernia surgery, ect... thinking after I get this AAR done I'll get a job at mcdonalds or something. lol Keep after the challenger, just slow and steady, you got this.

Do not get a job a mcdonalds, and do not retire, just pace yourself and continue doing what you do..

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Well after getting screwed last year by the guy who was supposed to paint my ride, I dug it out of the garage and started on the body myself. I all but got 1 fender done in 2 weeks so I located another paint shop that showed interest in it and took it there for a quote. He said 8-13k. Trying to tell me it needed quarters and a door. He didn't know that I did body work and I played dumb but there was literally no rust what so ever on the quarters and the door was a minor fix so back home it went.
I found a place like 2 miles from my place that was vetran owned and called them. He drove to my home and checked the body out. He said Wow. No rust and he would be happy to do it for 5k so I checked out some of his work and it was all eye candy!
Dropped the challenger off today and supposed to be done mid July.
Back to black it goes with the v6j stripe kit. I can't wait to show some pics when its done. Motor is almost complete. Just waiting on some aluminum heads that im having worked. Bowl blend. Port match etc. I decided to run these so I can run unleaded only. #s car or not, im gonna cruise this one. Got the espo +1.5 hemi springs with qa1 shocks. Full set of cooper cobras 225/70/15 front and 275/60/15 rear. Couldn't stuff a 295 in there without moving the springs so I gave up on that. Just need the steelies yet. Djas sold me on that set up but not sure what backspace for the 8" in the back. I want to keep it close to the outer side of the well.
Got a while to wait till I can start assembly but that is the fun part. Pics will be coming soon!

moparlee

Reaction score
Glad to hear you got your paint shop sorted out and feeling good about it.
Keep us posted with pictures on the progress.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Been 18 months now and finally primed and blocking stage. The guy painting it for me has my luck. Fell and broke his back at the shop. Then got married which is suiting. Had tendon repairs in his hand recently, then got broadsided at a light and the steering wheel popped the screws loose so, That's where it stands. Hopefully a few more weeks and we can reassemble it.
There was a few pinholes around the front and rear windows which were minor but the vinyl top had to come off. We also pulled the doors and fenders to jam it. I was surprised how solid the car as a whole was. Motor/trans/ and all the goodies are patiently waiting.

IMG_20220708_141723110_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220708_141802245_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220708_141825726_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_20221111-115652.png

Screenshot_20221112-085102.png

Screenshot_20221112-085052.png

Screenshot_20221112-085052.png

Last edited:
Back