• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fuel Gauge not working (shocker, I know...)

Xcudame

Reaction score
The "box" hanging from the top is an expansion tank (emissions) that is on all 71-74 tanks and California 70 tanks. That's why 70 federal tanks are 19 gallon and the rest are 18 gallons. By the way I think there's a new tank for sell on this forum.
FOR SALE - 1970-74 New Fuel Tank

EW1BH27

Reaction score
The one for sale looks to have only one vent tube (1970). If it's for a 1971 I thought there's suppose to be 4 vent tubes. Check out the last picture in the link.

Xcudame

Reaction score
You're right, the tank for sell here is for a 70. Not being a purist, I'd run a 70 tank and pick up the extra gallon capacity. But to each his own.

ColoradoCuda

Reaction score
Any tips on tank removal / installation? I assume pull the filler neck out first? I was thinking I should order a new filler neck because mine has a dent in the tube visible in the trunk, but looking at a new one, it has that too. Weird. Also, why is there 4 vent tubes on the top of the tank? Is there something different about each one?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Just putting this out there. In for a penny in for a pound.

3/8 Fuel Sending Unit Cuda Challenger 70 71 72 73 NEW E Body S845.​

Steve340

Reaction score
The four vent pipes go to the factory fuel tank vapor saver system. The four tubes are connected to the vapor liquid separator located up in the trunk.
The system description and layout diagram are in the 1971 factory service manual.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Any tips on tank removal / installation? I assume pull the filler neck out first? I was thinking I should order a new filler neck because mine has a dent in the tube visible in the trunk, but looking at a new one, it has that too. Weird. Also, why is there 4 vent tubes on the top of the tank? Is there something different about each one?
Yes and Yes to what you said. It makes it easer.

100_2296.1.JPG

Last edited:

EW1BH27

Reaction score
mine has a dent in the tube visible in the trunk, but looking at a new one, it has that too. Weird.
Yeah, that's normal. A long time ago I read there was a reason for that but I can't remember what it was - sorry.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
The part that Challenger RTA showed is the correct one, but if you are not concerned with the correct appearance, or if you just want to test things, you can obviously use any short length of copper wire or similar conductor to create a ground connection between the body and the sending unit.
The part that Challenger RTA showed is the correct one, but if you are not concerned with the correct appearance, or if you just want to test things, you can obviously use any short length of copper wire or similar conductor to create a ground connection between the body and the sending unit.
with the heat shield and muffler in place. cannot see without nmirror

michael bucklew

Reaction score

View attachment 113590

View attachment 113590
filler neck first, the all those lines going to tank. does your car have the vapor recovery device in the trunk???? I bought a new 5 hose tank. installing was easy. those hoses line up with each other. one line is a vent that goes to the engine compartment...back in '71 it was hooked up to the PVC system...now it is a vent when filling tank...PVC is not needed--epa crap. just get a breathable cap. cars had those long before the epa

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Yes.
1708568403165.png

michael bucklew

Reaction score
To check the wiring and the actual gauge pull off the blue wire and ground it somewhere. Then turn the ignition key to ACC (or ON, but not start). The gauge's needle should peg to full. BUT, don't leave the key in the ACC (or ON) position for long, only long enough to see the needle move. Otherwise you could damage things.
ok, will try--BUT---my wire is black---orgional harness in back of car

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
It's dark blue. You may not have enough light, or it's just discolored, someone replaced the wire or you are color deficient.

Back