• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fuel supply issue??

Super-G

Reaction score
I fired my engine up tonight and at idle it ran fine. It had plenty of fuel in the see through fuel filter.
After a quick ride around the block, I noticed that the see through filter was dry and the car stalled. So I am having a fuel supply problem. The pump is brand new from NAPA. The tank was cleaned out and filled with fresh fuel over the winter.
Does this sound like a worn fuel pump pushrod issue??

Any thoughts?

moparleo

Reaction score
Try this. First, disconnect fuel line from pump. The end should be below the level of the fuel in the tank, so it should just run out if there is no blockage in the fuel line to tank. Reconnect line. Now disconnect the line from the pump to carb and have someone crank the engine over.(diable ignition first ) The fuel should come out in spurts. If we are working with an LA engine (318,340,360) pull the pump and check on bench. If the pump is working, get a flash light and look into the timing cover where the pump mounts and check the fuel pump eccentric on the front of the cam. Watch while someone cranks engine again for the eccentric moving properly. ( please disconnect coil wire while doing these tests) Sometimes the woodruf key that engages the notch on the cam eccentric fails, or the bolt comes loose holding the eccentric, keeping the eccentric from moving in an oval motion operating the pump. This happened to me so I know it is possible. The only problem was I had a/c and to get the timing cover off to replace key and eccentric was a lot of work. Also check the rubber lines from the tank to pump for leaks or loose clamps. This will also cause the fuel to go dry up top. It is like sucking a straw with a hole half way down. All you get is air.

Back