• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Has anybody ever heard of a V code 1972 Challenger???

mopar jeff

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I just purchased a 1972 Dodge Challenger with a JS23V2B...... vin tag and title. All of the body numbers match. Unfortunately, there wasn't a fender tag, or build sheet with this car. The original color appears to be a light "powder" blue with blue interior. This is an engine code that I didn't know existed for a 1972 E-body.
Any insight about this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Mopar Jeff.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I know Mopar built 3 V code cars in 72 ,if I recall correctly 2 RR/ GTX & 1 Charger
the big block was not even an option in the E body after 71 so the odds of a real V code 72 are virtually nil . I bet the tag is a fake .

Cudaized

Reaction score
Beware

Anything is possible...but, I've been messing around with E-bodies since 1969 and have never come across a 72 V-code. If I had just bought the car, I would take it to a Police Department Auto theft unit and have it checked out to be sure it's not re-tagged. It is illegal to alter a VIN tag and it's sometimes a problem with collector cars. I would hate to see you invest money into the car and have the true owner show up and stake claim to it.

mopar jeff

Reaction score
Is it possible that someone could have gotten a vin tag made with a "V" in it? What about a getting a title to match? (I did'nt know this could be done.)
If this is true, then wouldn't there be more Hemi 'Cudas and Challegers out there than Mopar built?
How can I tell if this car is legitimate? :read2:

moparleo

Reaction score
I assume what really matters to you is that you didn't pay someone a crazy price for your one of none Challenger. If so, did you get a lot of info on the buyer like a drivers license number, address, phone number, license plate number on another car he has? Any thing that can be traced in case you need to hunt him down.
As always, Buyer beware! The best time to ask these questions is Before you buy.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Yes Vin Tags can be made , you have nothing else to verify the car , fender tag or build sheet , & body stamping do not include the engine code , I would be 99% sure this car is not real .

DetMatt1

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, as far as the B-bodies go there were more Chargers with V-codes. Galen's books show 3 and 2 GTX. I spoke to a guy that has one of them that his father bought off a dealer lot back in '72/3.
We all know what the books say and we also know that there are many proven examples that go against what the books say so why don't we try and help Jeff figure out what he's got instead of assuming its a fake. I know he hasn't gone and picked this car up yet but the deal is done. What should he look for when he does get it home? Torque boxes? Any extra HD suspension, what else?
And no Leo, Jeff didn't pay a crazy price.

ramenth

Reaction score
Matt, you've got to admit, no build sheet and no data plate makes the car a little suspect.

Of course, there are other numbers on the car which can be checked against the VIN. In this case those are the only numbers that can verify what it could be.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
The thing that makes it interesting is that the p.o. Wasn't trying to pass it off as anything more then a '72 JS car which means that was likely the case when it changed hands the time before that. What would you do if this car crossed your plate in a package deal, a little research or just act as if there's no V in the engine code on the vin...

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Well lets start here ....
I assume the car is an automatic , being a 4 spd it would have the Dana & the code stamped on the Dana . the dana was simply not an option in 72 .
Again assuming it is an Automatic the quickest way to prove it as original would be the stampings on the trans case , if the serial # is correct there then it would have come with a big block as the case is different for a small block assuming the #s were not restamped into the case .
All of the typical R/T package would be on the car but even my R/T 4 spd car did not have rear torque boxes originally , it should have the 6& 7 leaf rear springs 778 /779 T bars & front sway bar .
I truly hope the car is real & can be proven , it would be an awesome find for sure .

Cudaized

Reaction score
Does the firewall have holes for A/C. A sixpack would not have them because A/C won't mount onto it.

Cudaized

Reaction score
It depends on where you live. Some States are lax with title requirements. Especially for older cars all you need is a VIN traced on a piece of paper and a general description. Remember they don't make money if they don't issue titles.

ramenth

Reaction score
The thing that makes it interesting is that the p.o. Wasn't trying to pass it off as anything more then a '72 JS car which means that was likely the case when it changed hands the time before that. What would you do if this car crossed your plate in a package deal, a little research or just act as if there's no V in the engine code on the vin...

Oh, hell no!

I have a '69 Sport Satellite 4 door, factory 383-4bbl. According to Govier's books it might be one of thirty or so built and could very well be one of the last ones in existence. I'm still doing my research on that and still trying to verify all the numbers, built and currently existing. The only thing it lacks is the factory carb and I'm the dumbass who loaned it to my former best friend to use on his car, which he promptly sold, with my carb still on it.

If I came across a V code '72 Challenger I'd do everything I could to prove it or disprove it.

As Chryco said, the trans would be a clue. As would the numbers on the tailpan, the core support, etc. There's got to be clues left on the car as to it's authenticity and origins and it's a matter of digging for those clues.

But you must admit, the lack of broadcast sheet and data plate makes the digging a lot harder and make it harder for us to help given we haven't seen the car and our collective knowledge hasn't been able to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

mopar jeff

Reaction score
Hello Ramenth.
Where are these "other numbers" located that I can check? I would like to know for sure if this is a legit Mopar vin.
Thanks, Jeff.

burdar

Reaction score
An E-body had the VIN stamped in two places. One is on the DS rad support. The other is on the DS cowl. My guess is that it's just a miss stamp. G,H and V are all right together on a keyboard.

Years ago there was a 73 or 74 Road Runner in Mopar Muscle Mag that had a V on the VIN tag. Everything else was missing from the car. Most likely a miss stamp.

Cudaized

Reaction score
Jeff like I suggested before. Law-enforcement can run a VIN trace and follow the car back to its origin. It is done through the NATB (national auto theft buerau). They can also check for hidden Vehicle Identification Numbers, also known as confidential VINs, these are restricted from the general public but can be located by police.

Last edited:

mopar jeff

Reaction score
Thanks everybody!
I'll post some pics in a couple days. If there are any specific areas that should be photographed, please let me know. This is not a restored car, it is a project car from Alabama. Two previous owners before me, used it as a bracket racer. (There are a lot of parts missing.) Most of the interior is gone, but it does still have the Rallye dash and stock steering column. The floors and frame are nice, but the rear 1/4's have been patched. The doors and fenders are respectable.
From what I can see, the car was purple at one time. Beneath that was red. The last color I've seen appears to be a light "powder" blue.
I will post more details as they are uncovered.
Thanks to all for the help!

burdar

Reaction score
They can also check for hidden Vehicle Identification Numbers, also known as confidential VINs, these are restricted from the general public but can be located by police.

This is a myth. People have had these cars completely torn apart and no "hidden" VIN's have ever been found. I'm not saying "new" cars don't have these but our cars don't.

Back