• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hey Everyone!

Adam

Reaction score
I would act as your own general contractor and send components out to be restored as money allows. E.g. remove the engine and trans and send them out, redo the front and rear suspension, remove the interior dash etc, send the body out while everything else is being worked on or waiting it's turn. Often cosmetic stuff takes the longest and is the most expensive... if you have even moderate mechanical skills, and some free time you can save a ton of money. Oh, take lots of pics, before, during & after....

Adam

Reaction score
The car does look like it probably needs a trunk pan, but everything else looks good! Can you post some pics of the entire engine compartment; I would love to see an unmolested T/A engine.

Jalaska907

Reaction score
Just so everyone knows, the car did have a repaint, I'm guessing in the late 90s or early 2000. The trunk floor isnt that bad. There is 3 pin holes in it which could be welded up. That is what I would do anyways since it still has the factory seam sealer. Here some pics of the engine. I sent the carbs off to Eric at Vintage Muscle Car Parts today. Here is a few pics of the engine, I have more but they are on my phone. Ill add those later.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Please post more pics of everything. It will be helpful to many who are restoring these cars. It is hard to find an original anymore.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
What is up with those deposits in the openings of the intake under the front and rear carbs? Excellent pics btw...

js29

Reaction score
Vary good documentation, they will be vary important down the road. i cant beleave how original every thing looks under your hood. again nice score. it looks like that front carb was not working at all by the looks of the carbon build up

jeff968

Reaction score
Very nice. The T/As have always been my favorite. I purchased my first one back in 1979 and have owned 5 since then. I have one today. the funny thing was the the indivdual who is running the Challenger T/A registry has lived in AK forever and just relocated to PA a few months ago. His name is Barry washington and he's a great guy. Google the registry to get your car signed up. I can see from the tag that it is near the end of normal T/A production with an SPD of 415 (April 15th 1970, Wednesday). Normal T/A production came to an end on April 17th. Your car looks very original. It still has the original fenders and the hold-down stud/nut combo which are often lost (and replaced with bolts) when fenders are replaced. Good luck.

Jalaska907

Reaction score
Thanks for all the positive feed back. The previous owner did disconnect the out board carbs. He ran the car like that for a few years. I did start the car, and I've drove it around the block, but was running really poor. I sent the carbs off to Eric at Vintage Muscle Car Parts yesterday. He will be doing a complete OEM restoration on them. Also discovered that the wrong spark plugs were in the car. They were way to short, and you could see the carbon build up on the threads in the heads. I cleaned the threads and put in different plugs. The T/A registry is still not up and running since Barry has moved. As far as the restoration shop goes that will be doing the work, i'm pretty sure I'm going to have Mark Worman do the work. He does outstanding work, and is on the west coast.

Jalaska907

Reaction score
I have a question. On the very bottom of my broadcast sheet, in the remarks space, it says: 18 TRANS AM Does anybody know what the 18 stands for?

Jalaska907

Reaction score
Since it's winter her in Alaska, I decided I'm going to tinker on the car for the winter. I wont be able to send it out until spring/summer anyways. Does any of you guys know the proper paint code for the black hood?

Jalaska907

Reaction score
Hey there everyone. Like you guys know, I picked up a really cool car. I've decided to take a different route with the car. I'm going to do my own restoration currently. I will be taking the advise from the members and act as a "general Contractor". I think that it will save me time and some money. I'm going to start a thread on the restorations section and hope for all the awesome suggestions, and help on my build. Hope to hear from all of you again, and hope to meet new people. I will have and amazing amount of pictures to share. Looking foreword to the journey!

Moparparts

Reaction score
Very nice solid car! I see it is another T/A with a standard dash. It is supprising how many T/A's had standard dashes. I had quite a few of them myself over the years. The one i have now is rallye dash non console and had dog dish. Good luck and have fun with the restoration, will be looking forward to the progress

Adam

Reaction score
Paint suggestion

I do not know the proper paint code for the hood, but the original top coat/color coats were of marginal quality and usually poorly applied. If you are going 100%OEM then you have no choice. However, modern paints are much more durable and better looking (most places use a base coat/clear coat system).

Im not suggesting it for your hood, but many of the suspension parts, Diff, engine brackets, Dash frame,steering column, inner window trim, etc are a low gloss black. I picked up a quart of Hot Rod Flatz in Chassis black and another in Hot Rod Black, different sheens ( http://www.tcpglobal.com/Automotive-Paint/Hot-Rod-Flatz/) This paint is a Urethane, easy to spray, and way tougher than anything from a rattle can. 1 Quart goes a long way...... and you will find several uses for it... I also used it to black out the core support behind my grill, My Tail panel, and on my grill... http://ImageEvent.com/adamell/wiperparts

Since it's winter her in Alaska, I decided I'm going to tinker on the car for the winter. I wont be able to send it out until spring/summer anyways. Does any of you guys know the proper paint code for the black hood?

Last edited:
Back