• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hey Everyone!

Jalaska907

Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for having me. I live in Kenai Alaska and was able to acquire me a really nice numbers matching car with build sheet and sales reciept from dealer. Car is in great shape, and cant wait to send her out for a restoration. Check out the pics and let me know what ya think!

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Great car, how did you come across it? Lets hear the story.

Jalaska907

Reaction score
My number of year could be off a little but heres the story. Im going to have to start before the car came into the picture to make sense. I was about 7-8 years old, I wondered over to bug my neighbor. He was in his garage with the doors open, and I saw a car. Since Ive always been a gear head, I walked around the car and he told me a bit about it. The details on this car I cant remember, but what I do remember is that it was a factory Orange Challenger, 440 six pak car, 4 spd, R/T, with a gator skin top I believe. This car was is a million pieces. Also this car had all paperwork from dealer sheets to maintenance receipts. The guy who had this in his garage told me that this car was a very rare mopar. He also said due to the cost of restorations, he would never be able to finish it. So the car sat in his garage for a couple more years. When I was around 10, I noticed the neighbor had his garage open again, and the car was gone. I stopped and asked him about it, he said he had traded the rare challenger, for a fully restored 1972 chevy shortbed, and this 1970 T/A which was also restored, with all paperwork. He drove the T/A as a daily driver for years. Let it sit outside in the winter, and really didn't take care of it. So when I turned 16, I asked if I could buy the car, and of course he said no. I asked him if I could take it to high school prom, and he said no. I bugged him about 1 or 2 times a year with the answer always being no. (Im now 29 years old) Here a couple years ago, the guy stopped living at his house, and left the car in the driveway. The last time the car was registered was in 2007 and has been sitting since. Well after many years of persistence, I was able to make a deal with the guy, and now its in my garage. He told me I was the only person he would sell it to, since Ive been bugging him for years, and he knows Ill get it back in order and take care of it. I got the Dealer sales receipt, broadcast sheet, first owner registration, bill of sales. Also it runs and drives, need some carb work, but in all Im very pleased to have this rare car. Thats the Story! Hope you guys enjoyed it!

KATSAAR

Reaction score
if that T/A is orig paint and still is very presentable
you will destroy it if you paint it.
THERE ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE.

mmissile

Reaction score
Nice that you finally got it. I have a couple cars waiting in similar circumstances. I probably won't care, or they'll be too decrepit by the time it could happen. Good luck on the restoration....cool car.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Welcome, nice car good story I'm sure it's going to have a great ending. Good luck

Jalaska907

Reaction score
Im trying to get on a list for a resto shop on the west coast. Hopefully Ill have everything submitted today. Ill let you guys know if I get on a list, and where at. I also have a local guy that does them, but hes got 5 cars ahead of me.

mopar steve

Reaction score
I agree , great score , car looks great for sitting outside neglected for years . Complete car with a high impact color , what more could you ask for . Persistence eventually pays off . Good Luck !

Jalaska907

Reaction score
Well, I got one quote back from a shop on the west coast, they were saying 65k and 30 months, I know it cost a lot to work on these, and there is a lot of man hours in them, but I don't see it being that much since the car is in such great shape. It doesn't need patch panels, body is straight, clean, all parts are there, most are operational, electrical all works, minus the horn, runs and drives, (needs brake work) so I'm just thinking that was a high estimate. I could be wrong, and please let me know if I am. The carbs are leaking fuel everywhere, so I pulled them off, and I'm sending them to Vintage Muscle Car parts for restoration in the morning. Looking foreword to seeing them all new!

rbbruno3

Reaction score
I would check all the shops work and feedback from other customers. I wish I only had 65K in mine. I definitely would have bought one done if I would have known. Even if you have all the parts it cost so much to have them restored to new. Good luck with the build. Keep us posted with the progress. Rick

challenger6pak

Reaction score
65K doesn't sound unreasonable if they do the car correctly. The only way I see 30 months is if the car gets a little attention each week. From the pictures I would estimate 1000 - 1500 hours to have every nut bolt and paint marking correct on the car due to it's condition and originality.

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
The cost of labor is the same whether you are restoring a Rambler or a Challenger R/T. It will cost much more to restore to new condition than it would be to buy one already done. There are many more shops around so make some more calls. That will give you a better idea of what it will really cost. But you must tell each shop exactly what you expect to be done, otherwise you will not get an estimate that is apples to apples. They will also have to inspect the car to be even close. Remember it costs twice as much to make a #2 car into a #1 car.

Back