• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

in your own experience...

70challengerdane

Reaction score
in your own experience, with mopar big blocks, in the even of lack of antifreeze cracking parts... whats the first to go to get coolant in the oil pan? cylinder walls or heads?

70challengerdane

Reaction score
oh and the story is my challenger that ive been working on since 2007, i finally got it running and ready for its maiden voyage... but it was 11:30 and open headers so i packed up for the night and decided to press on in the am... of course being that late there was nowhere to get antifreeze so i put a little water in it, got it so no hoses were leaking and called it good.. woke up the next morning bright and early to snow.. and a cracked something... that was in februaryish when it snowed for a week for all you washingtonions who were there. so i lost motivation and moved on to selling my corolla for a turbo z getting it going and now that im trying to sell the z i finally pulled the heads off the challenger haha

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welll coming from a colder part of the world than you I can say I have never cracked anything as I simply will not put water in an engine ever without Antifreeze .
It could be as simple as a frost plug , but I have seen the blocks crack down low between the frost plugs . Hopefully it is a simple fix .

70challengerdane

Reaction score
the headgasket looked really good but the freee plugs popped out and i only pulled off the passenger head and only cyl 4 had any water the rest looked really good. but im actually relieved about it being the block cause when i rebuild the bottom end all i really did was rings and bearings and put a steel crank in but all the tolerances were kinda borderline but i didnt have money for machine work so id rather use this other bottom end anyway cause its also a steel crank but is already mildly balanced from the factory and probably not nearly as out of round as my current block (.004) and i spent a bit of time putting the heads together so im glad its the crappy block not the good heads haha

Back