• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Learning things the hard way.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Looks like it's just had a bit of water sitting in there maybe it got pressure washed or just sat in the rain and some water got in through an open valve. As for cracks you will get coolant in the oil, exhaust gas in the coolant, oil in the coolant, or coolant on the floor depending on where it is cracked. When you fill the coolant you could pressure test the cooling system and check for external leaks or cracks and keep an eye on the pressure tester gauge and see if it holds the pressure for a period of time. The green dye they put in coolant glows if it's dark and you use a ultra violet light you can pin point the smallest leaks. You can test for exhaust gas in the coolant by doing a tk test (google it). If your getting coolant in the oil and it is major the oil will turn into vanilla milkshake, if it's minor you let it sit overnight then slowly undo the oil drain and the first bit of fluid to drain will be coolant because the oil will float on top of it.

tonysrt

Reaction score
If you're going to do any pressure checking in the Rad. don't use Anti freeze. Just use water because the A/F will just make a mess. If pressure checks OK run with with water till your happy with the way it's running. Then switch to A/F. You can probably get a Rad pressure check as a loaner from the big Auto stores. I bought one and there about $80.

bullet18

Reaction score
Were getting close to the motor actually running. Im pretty sure i had the distributor in 180 off because it pretty much just shot fire out of the carb. I turned it around and got it igniting and firing out of the exhaust but by then the battery had gotten to low to turn the starter fast enough. I charged it last night while i was at my graduation ceremony so its good now but my friend's at work and i dont want to start it for the first time without him after all of the help hes been over the course of the project so itll have to wait till tomorrow.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Nice , better off waiting for your friend to help getting it timed and Incase she back fires again.

bullet18

Reaction score
Its looking more and more like im gonna need a new engine but im gonna wait until i get another starter monday to make any decisions. On an unrelated note to the challenger, my friend and i drove to nebraska to get his dream car, a 67 impala. We rented a Uhaul trailer hooked it up to my dads 2004 toyota sienna and headed west. At the time we thought that it has rated to tow 7700lbs which didn't seem as exceptionally high at the time as we had tunnel vision and no experience with towing. It turns out it's 7700lbs including the weight if the mini van. We found that out on i-96 in michigan on the way back after about 1500 miles. Luckily we went over the flatest states in the country and didnt grenade the transmission. We reached a top speed of 50 miles an hour on the freeway on the way back. We definetely will not do this again knowing the actual towing rating of the van and how lucky we had to be not to break anything on the way back but it makes one hell of a story.

20180610_205922.jpg

20180610_184116.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
You are lucky not to wreck , I have seen too many bad towing results with everything upside down in the ditch
Is the 440 turning over by hand ? if so it should be able to get started

bullet18

Reaction score
You are lucky not to wreck , I have seen too many bad towing results with everything upside down in the ditch
Is the 440 turning over by hand ? if so it should be able to get started
It turns over with a breaker bar and a socket fine.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I’m quite sure you took a few thousand miles off the life of that Toyota but that will be a trip to remember. I’m definitely responsible for shortening the useful life of several of my dads vehicles back in the day....:cool:

bullet18

Reaction score
Ok, sorry for the lack of updates i had my wisdom teeth pulled and havent been doing much. Im going to buy a new engine that i can see run and just put it in without messing with it. I havent been able to get a starter and im running out of time before i need this thing running for college. If i figure out whats wrong with the current motor i can sell it and make back my loss but i dont have time to do that right now. The brake swap courtesy of grady cain(thanks again for the rotors) is almost done. The company i bought spindles from on ebay (bous performance) failed to mention that they were for 73 and up 11 inch rotors not 10.8 in ones like i have. Luckily with some cordoba bearings and a weird seal they work now. In currently trying to get pads that fit as i cant get the calipers on, even when theyre fully compressed. All of the valves move up and down properly but ive got no idea if they seal. I would try and fix this motor now if i new it was only cylinder 1 but it would start if it were only down one cylinder.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Progress bit by bit at least , might have to sand the pads a little to fit them , possibly inproper thickness ?

bullet18

Reaction score
Progress bit by bit at least , might have to sand the pads a little to fit them , possibly inproper thickness ?
Fortunately i bought new semi metallic pads that actually fit. They only set me back $16.50 and theyre an upgrade from the organic pads. I have one side installed but i didn't do the other today as the heat index got up to 104 and never really got below 90.

tonysrt

Reaction score
To add to rad pressure check some more info. I replaced the water pump yesterday with a flowkooler unit in my 318. I pressured checked everything after all done and pressured dropped very fast, sprayed a little windex around and saw thermostat housing leaking. Took it off and put a straight edge across and it was totally bent. Ran to S&k speed shop, bought a new Mr. Gasket housing because it looked like base was milled flat. Put it in and no more leaks. Just glad I had the rad pressure checker. Saved having a mess.

bullet18

Reaction score
To add to rad pressure check some more info. I replaced the water pump yesterday with a flowkooler unit in my 318. I pressured checked everything after all done and pressured dropped very fast, sprayed a little windex around and saw thermostat housing leaking. Took it off and put a straight edge across and it was totally bent. Ran to S&k speed shop, bought a new Mr. Gasket housing because it looked like base was milled flat. Put it in and no more leaks. Just glad I had the rad pressure checker. Saved having a mess.
Ill be sure to get one of those, thanks!

bullet18

Reaction score
I finally got the brakes on! I also got the radiator and trans cooler mounted. Im getting all of the little stuff knocked out this week before i get the engine so after i put it in it wont be that long before i actually drive it. I still need a lot of little stuff(and some big stuff like installing a seat and a steering column) But im making a lot of progress.

20180703_140846.jpg

15306417229674838613764712832885.jpg

aussiemark

Reaction score
I like that wheel, do you have a full set? maybe just clean the rust off with some steel wool and put a coat of clear on them to stop the rust or see if some chrome dress rings will clip on and cover the rust.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I like that wheel, do you have a full set? maybe just clean the rust off with some steel wool and put a coat of clear on them to stop the rust or see if some chrome dress rings will clip on and cover the rust.
It looks like a Keystone Classic.

bullet18

Reaction score
It looks like a Keystone Classic.
Yeah theyre keystones. Unfortunately theyre 14x6s and im looking for 235s up front and 275s in the rear. Ive got 2 keystones and 2 cragar s/s rims all 14x6s. Ive already got some us wheel crawlers that are basically a cragar soft 8 knock off. Ive got no idea how theyll look but they're wide enough and cheap so theyll work. Dont worry ive got the correct backspacing. Im planning on running cooper cobra radial g/ts 275/60r15s in the back and 235/70r15s in the front.

Back