• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

My car seems a little "floaty" over 50 MPH

dongei

Reaction score
I haven't driven a Challenger in over 30 years and don't remember it being so "floaty". I've had all the bushings replaced, front end aligned, good quality tires installed, new heavy duty shocks installed and the power steering box doesn't seem to have any excess play. It's a low mileage, never wrecked straight front end. Have they all ways been like this? By the way it's a small block v-8. I could use any input as of now I don't really want to drive it on the highway.

moparleo

Reaction score
If it feels unstable going over rises and dips in the road, your car has excessive " bump steer". What this means is as the suspension rises and falls, the front wheels toe in and toe out. this cause an unstable ride and quick tire wear. As DetMatt1 says, you need some one familiar with the older suspensions on the 60s & 70s Mopars and how to correct "Bump Steer"

mmissile

Reaction score
When I got my road runner, a couple of friends said the car felt like it was floating. So yes, compared to newer/taut cars.....they feel mushy and floating. It's my first stock/streetcar in awhile, and I thought it felt very loose compared to my new stuff. It'll make ya really appreciate newer suspension and especially brakes.

js29

Reaction score
i will have to go along with mat & leo, alignment issue, the specs in the books are for bias ply tires.

dongei

Reaction score
Well it goes in a straight line just feels weird. I guess 4,000 pounds of car going down the highway would be different.

reborn73

Reaction score
I feel the same way you do. I replaced everything like you did and know the front end was set correctly. However, compared to the new stuff, it just seems weird to drive. I drove the pizz out of mine as a teenager. Corners, flat out, dounghts and lot more stupid stuff. It seemed natural and normal driving at the time cause everything else was big and heavy. I took my driving test in a '74 Fury and drove my parents Newport all the time. Talk about a "boat" I was kinda disappointed in the handling after I got it put back together. You are not alone...............

dongei

Reaction score
Thank you every one for your thoughts on this. It is really great having such a knowledgeable bunch of people out there to bounce ideas off of. I'm thinking maybe a heaver sway bar than was factory may help and coil over shocks on the front. I put air shocks on the back and that helped a lot.

burntorange70

Reaction score
Starting to sound like you need some new springs. Maybe even some T bars. Air shocks are a bandaid at best. One that may even do damage to your car.

New springs and good shocks should firm it up.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Bigger T bars will help for sure , part of the issue though is if they set the alignment to factory specs it will steer like crap with radials on it , they never installed radials on the E bodys , so you need to set the front differently , also changing to a Firm Feel steering box or shimming the pump so it reduces the assist will definatly help the feel , you want to have the max caster you can adjust to , usually 3* is max , 1/2 negative camber & 1/16" toe in for it to steer well with radial tires , if you have offset upper control arm bushings or tubular upper control arms you can get more caster . More caster will make the car harder to steer & put more load ont he steering as well .
I usually just do my own alignments so turn the front upper control arm bolts as far outward as possible & the rear inward as far as possible , use a level to check camber [digital level if you have one] & a tape measure to set toe in & you are good to go .

Back