• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New to the Mopar game

tjones87

Reaction score
I am new to the Mopar community, always been GM, but am looking into getting a 70 Challenger in a few weeks. It will be a project for me to work on and try and get ready for next year car show season. I am just wondering if anyone could tell me the main places to check out on the car. The guy says it is 95% rust free, and only has little rust in rear wheel wells. Just thought I would pop in here and see what I can find out. Any and all info is appreciated.

moparleo

Reaction score
Any pictures yet ? How much are you paying ? Basically if it a snow belt car, probably very rusty front and rear floor pans, trunk pan, lower quarters,uni-body frame rails, torsion bar mount, front inner fender wells, etc... If a south west car, probably no major rust. Ask for an inspection on a lift before money trades hands. If he is reluctant, maybe walk away .....

tjones87

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in.....I am going to look at it as soon as I can get away (car is several hours from me). I am going to be trading my corvette for it, and the pics he has sent everything seems solid. All sheet metal is on car, but bumpers, trim, glass etc.. is all out. He said the car is complete just needs a little body work and paint and then be assembled. It is a plain 318 car with an r/t hood, but comes with a 340 six pack engine, I plan to use. I will get some pics up as soon as I get the car. Thanks again

tjones87

Reaction score
thanks guys....hoping to try and go look at the car end of the week or this weekend. The guy told me there is a spot in the floor and trunk that needs replaced, but everything else is solid...we will see lol. I will be needing to pick me up a welder for sure (that's the only thing about having a Corvette, cant weld fiberglass lmao..so never bought one)...anyways, will keep everyone updated and get pics up as soon as i can...thanks again

moparleo

Reaction score
I use a Lincoln Pro-Mig 140. Good for 90% of any welding you are likely to have with an auto. 110V Nice big sweet spot. Shop around , can get for under $450.00. Uses flux core or gas.

tjones87

Reaction score
ok thanks for the recommendation...not sure that is going to be in my budget at the moment. But there is alot more I can do body-wise before needing a welder...

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I use a Miller 140 and love it and I would not suggest using flux core if you can avoid it. Do not cheap out on a welder whatever you do.

tjones87

Reaction score
Going to be getting the car the first of next week...cant wait to venture off into the Ebody fun :) I will be getting alot of pics before and after getting it home...So far my plans are body work, Plum Crazy Purple paint w/ black interior, but unsure if I want to leave 14" rally wheels on it or get the 15x7 front, 15x8 rears....lots of options and potential with this car...being a 318 auto car, I am not too worried about keeping it 100% original. More than likely going to make it look like an R/T with a little surprise under the hood :) thanks everyone for info in advance...I am sure I will be posting alot of questions lol. thanks again

moparleo

Reaction score
Hi. Sounds great. A little advice on the wheel size. The larger the rim size you go eg.. 15"-17" the more room you will have for brake rotors and caliper upgrades and the more options you will have with tire types. Back in the seventies, the 15" was the upgrade, now we have many more options.

As far as welding is concerned DetMatt1 is correct in saying do not cheap out on a welder. That is true for anything you care about. Buy it once and done. There is however a legimate use for flux core welding. It wasn't developed to be cheap it is/was used for outdoor welding where wind can cause problems with the sheilding gases blowing away from the weld. Flux core allows welding in more conditions than gas sheilded , but indoors and/or windless days, gas sheilding allows a better looking weld for sure.

Last edited:

tjones87

Reaction score
I know if I went bigger rims I would have better selection of tires, but I like to classic look of a 15" wheel and good amount of rubber under on them. That will be the biggest I go, any bigger and it looks like junk IMHO....It will be quite awhile before I am ready for that thought. As far as welding goes, I know its better to not skimp, and again not exactly to that point. The body only has minimal rust in both lower rear quarters, trunk pan and floor pan so I got alot of metal to work with before getting to rust lol. I may end up gettign someone to do the metal patching, but will cross that bridge when I get to it.

as always, and opinions/suggestions/info is greatly appreciated. thanks again

tjones87

Reaction score
well I will not be getting the challenger....cant get a trailer to bring it back or they gas money to go get it...so i guess i will just have to stick with my lil corvette...thanks to everyone who pitched in info....maybe one day in the future i will be able to get an old Mopar....

tjones87

Reaction score
Well not everyone has the money to just hop in a truck, grab a trailer and drive 3 hours one way to get a $9k-$10k car. I won't have any kind of money until the 1st, on payday, and I don't expect the guy to hold the car for me, without some kind of deposit or something. If he still has the car once I have the cash then I will be bringing it home...until then, not much I can do.

Back